Community Member

Default Gear adjustments

Looking to update the gear on my 34pt Horc Shintao Monk. Here's what is currently used:

Armor - Epic Frozen Tunic T3, slotted CHA +6 and Vitality +20 (pre-augment changes, original Epic Slot Toughness)
    Goggles - Tharne's Goggles
    Helm - Mineral 2 HP
    Neck - Shintao cord
    Cloak - Cloak of Night lvl 24
    Wrist - Epic Jidz-Tet'ka, slotted DEX +6 and Greater False Life
    Belt - Belt of the Sun Soul
    Boots - DEX +7 of Balance +13
    Gloves - Purple Dragon Gauntlets
    Ring #1 - Seal of House Dun'Robar (I.STR +2, Dodge +4%, Excep. Combat Mastery +5)
    Ring #2 - Ring of the Ravager, Holy Burst (Placeholder for Kyosho's Ring)
    Trinket - Planar Focus of Subterfuge WIS +8

Sure, there's better DPS builds out there, but I like my STR/WIS Monk (especially since I can simply change stances and have maxed out Dodge, without my AC dropping below 60-ish).

I'd like to manage to fit in some PRR, either via Blue augment (I got the PRR +14 gem from the store), or some armor tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by shinobiguyver View Post
    Looking to update the gear on my 34pt Horc Shintao Monk. Here's what is currently used:

Armor - Epic Frozen Tunic T3, slotted CHA +6 and Vitality +20 (pre-augment changes, original Epic Slot Toughness)
    Helm - Mineral 2 HP
    Neck - Shintao cord
    Wrist - Epic Jidz-Tet'ka, slotted DEX +6 and Greater False Life
    Boots - DEX +7 of Balance +13
    Gloves - Purple Dragon Gauntlets
    Ring #1 - Seal of House Dun'Robar (I.STR +2, Dodge +4%, Excep. Combat Mastery +5)
    Ring #2 - Ring of the Ravager, Holy Burst (Placeholder for Kyosho's Ring)
    Trinket - Planar Focus of Subterfuge WIS +8

Sure, there's better DPS builds out there, but I like my STR/WIS Monk (especially since I can simply change stances and have maxed out Dodge, without my AC dropping below 60-ish).

I'd like to manage to fit in some PRR, either via Blue augment (I got the PRR +14 gem from the store), or some armor tweaking.
    Some thoughts:

Epic Frozen Tunic: While ugly as hell, the Way of the Sun Soul set (starting with the Vestments) give you enhanced ki and improved AC..although I'd understand if you miss that Freezing Ice bit. But the set would give you greater overall stats, and Reinforced Fists to boot for more overall damage.

Goggles: I'd argue for trying out the Lenses of the Woodsman with the Seeker +6 on tap, since they are similar to Tharne's but may give more powerful criticals. Alternately, the Drow Smoke Goggles have Manslayer and Seeker +6.

Neck: The Concentration bonus of the Shintao Cord cannot stack with the same thing given by the Belt of the Sun Soul, and the CON +6 of the Cord is overridden by the Belt's CON +7. Complete the Sun Soul set, stow the cord until you get a Kyosho's Ring (good as a set for inherent Good/Evil DR as well as the Holy Burst). As far an epic neck item, it's a good place for a Fortifying 25% item but I cannot think off the top of my head of something that must be better there.

Cloak: That Epic Cloak of Night satisfies my recommendation to have at least Ghostly somewhere on you. The Deathblock is also something to always carry, and the Dodge bonus does not hurt. Perhaps you can get most of these effects through a ring...

Wrist: While the venerable Jidz are nice, their AC +8 would be overridden by your current outfit, yes? Only the GFL is working for you, and I suspect you're not in Fire Stance for the insight amp. The Sun Soul set acts like a super-Jidz. When you're in Fire Stance, a vorpal will cast Restoration and Cure Moderate Wounds on you (remove neg levels yourself!). In Mountain Stance, the effect throws a 25% damage barrier like that from the Arty's Radiant Forcefield. Wind Stances get a boost to Doublestrike, and Ocean Stance gets Fire Shield/Cold cast on them. Get the Bracers of the Sun Soul to try it out, although I know you need the GFL, you can find another Yellow slot for this.

Boots: You have a decent pair of boots that you currently have in terms of adding more DEX for better reflex saves. The Treads of Falling Shadow, even at their Level 23 version, match that DEX and give you +2 and return your faster Striding. The EE versions have DEX +8 and Insightful DEX +3. Balance is important but only if you are dealing with something that tries to frequently knock you down.

Gloves: The PDGs are awesome for improving healing amp and STR. When Crystal Cove returns, consider the Epic Brawling Gloves as an alternative when amp is less needed with the same STR +7, a Yellow Slot, Piercing damage and the Glass Jaw stun effect that apparently is working as intended now.

Ring #1: Awesome. You lucky devil.

Ring #2: Holy Burst on any ring is better than waiting on the one that matches. Alternately, see about a new Ring of Shadows, which has several evasive effects you already have elsewhere, but, in wearing it you free up your cloak slot (but still need Deathblock)

Trinket: Not sure where to go here as I know how important WIS is here. I often craft a Devotion of Melee Alacrity trinket for my tanker since she's in Mountain Stance to speed her attacks and give her crazy healing amp (I think I calculated 400% amp on her right now in the right setup).

Maxing your Dodge on a Shintao is very good (Ocean Stance is your dominant?).
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Start with the Flawless BlackScale (funeral Dress) and the Matching Helm.

Get a pair of Treads of Falling Shadow and go from there

I really love the new necklace out of FoT on my Windstance monk.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

I alternate between GM Fire and GM Water stances. In GMoF with GM Fire, I'm at 9.5[W], 62 AC, 19% Dodge, and a 57 Stunning Fist DC. When things get a bit rough, I hit GM Water, giving me 8.5[W], 65 AC, 25% Dodge, and a 60 Stunning Fist DC. GMoF is maxed, and I'm trying to get back to working on maxing my other Destinies for better Twists (currently using Improved Power Attack, Legendary Tactics, and Unearthly Reactions).

Wraps are usually base Antipode (haven't got the favor to start upgrading yet), but I have some crafted boss beaters I use as necessary, and Grave Wrappings sitting in the bank.

What I'm getting from you is:
    Armor - Vestments of the Sun Soul
    Goggles - Lenses of the Woodsman/Drow Smoke Goggles
    Helm - Mineral 2 HP
    Neck - Extra Fort
    Wrist - Bracers of the Sun Soul
    Boots - Treads of Falling Shadow EH/EE
    Gloves - Epic Brawling Gloves
    Ring #2 - Ring of Shadows
    Trinket - Devotion of Melee Alacrity

What about something like this:
    Armor - Spiderspun Caparisun (WIS +8, Armor Bonus +9,Resistance Save +6, Enhanced Ki +1, Reinforced Fists, Concentration +15, Vitality +20)
    Helm - Min 2 HP
    Neck - Fortifying 25% of Natural Armor +6
    Cloak - Epic Cloak of Night
    Wrist - Epic Jidz-Tet'ka
    Boots - Treads of Falling Shadow
    Gloves - Epic Brawling Gloves (Insightful CON +2 slotted)
    Ring #1 - Seal of House Dun'Robar
    Ring #2 - Ravager's Ring
    Trinket - EE Shamanic Fetish (Devotion +120, PRR +14 slotted)
    Quote Originally Posted by macubrae View Post
    A Dwarf's beard should be thick, strong and long enough to tuck under your belt (to keep kobolds from swinging on it and giants from swinging us by them).

Another setup for the OP to glean over. This is how my 34-pt half-elf cleric dilettante light monk rolls:

Armor - Spider-Spun Caparison (+3 Insightful Wisdom, +9 armor, Resistance +6, +15 Concentration, Enhanced Ki, Reinforced Fists, +20 Vitality)
    Goggles - Lenses of the Woodsman (True Seeing, +6 Seeker, +3 Attack)
    Helm - Purple Dragon Knight (30% healing amp, Str +7, Insightful Con +2)
    Neck - Cha +6 of Natural Armor +6 w/yellow slot (Deathblock)
    Cloak - Greensteel Smoke II (Blur, Exceptional Dex Skills +6, 2 displacement clickies)
    Wrist - 20% Healing Amp of Superior Parrying
    Belt - Epic Spare Hand (tier 3, Exceptional Combat Mastery +5, 3% doublestrike, +3 UMD, GFL slotted)
    Boots - EN Treads of Falling Shadow (Dex +7, Insightful Dex +2, Ghostly)
    Gloves - Purple Dragon Knight (Con +7, Insightful Str +2, +15 Intimidate)
    Ring 1 - Ancient Band (Heavy Fort, +6 protection)
    Ring 2 - Seal of House Avithoul (Wisdom +7, Sneak Attack +5/+8, Exceptional SA +3/+5, Improved Deception)
    Trinket - Devotion 48 of Good Luck +2

Wraps - Grave Wrappings for most everything, Wraps of Endless Light, Shrieking of Smiting, Holy of PG w/force damage, Banishing of the Crusader, EH Ivy Wraps

88 AC (92 w/Shield scroll)
    63 Stunning Fist
    10% Dodge, Ghostly, Blur
    18% Doublestrike

Quote Originally Posted by sacredguyver View Post
    I alternate between GM Fire and GM Water stances. In GMoF with GM Fire, I'm at 9.5[W], 62 AC, 19% Dodge, and a 57 Stunning Fist DC. When things get a bit rough, I hit GM Water, giving me 8.5[W], 65 AC, 25% Dodge, and a 60 Stunning Fist DC. GMoF is maxed, and I'm trying to get back to working on maxing my other Destinies for better Twists (currently using Improved Power Attack, Legendary Tactics, and Unearthly Reactions).

Wraps are usually base Antipode (haven't got the favor to start upgrading yet), but I have some crafted boss beaters I use as necessary, and Grave Wrappings sitting in the bank.

What I'm getting from you is:
    Armor - Vestments of the Sun Soul
    Goggles - Lenses of the Woodsman/Drow Smoke Goggles
    Helm - Mineral 2 HP
    Neck - Extra Fort
    Wrist - Bracers of the Sun Soul
    Boots - Treads of Falling Shadow EH/EE
    Gloves - Epic Brawling Gloves
    Ring #2 - Ring of Shadows
    Trinket - Devotion of Melee Alacrity

What about something like this:
    Armor - Spiderspun Caparisun (WIS +8, Armor Bonus +9,Resistance Save +6, Enhanced Ki +1, Reinforced Fists, Concentration +15, Vitality +20)
    Helm - Min 2 HP
    Neck - Fortifying 25% of Natural Armor +6
    Cloak - Epic Cloak of Night
    Wrist - Epic Jidz-Tet'ka
    Boots - Treads of Falling Shadow
    Gloves - Epic Brawling Gloves (Insightful CON +2 slotted)
    Ring #1 - Seal of House Dun'Robar
    Ring #2 - Ravager's Ring
    Trinket - EE Shamanic Fetish (Devotion +120, PRR +14 slotted)
    Your Dodge and stun DCs are perfect in my opinion. Nice work.

Somewhere, your AC is out of whack. I suspect you haven't Combat Expertise. It's a boon to me: it's 10% AC bonus stacks with the 20% AC bonus of Grandmaster of Mountains for a whopping 30% AC, which is why I sit unbuffed at 86 or more AC (101+ buffed). You might have your feats already set for what you want to do, however, but it's not a bad option for a bit more AC at the loss of a comparatively tiny attack bonus.

You're seeing something in the Tharne's Goggles I don't but if they work for you, it's all good. Don't underestimate Seeker for powerful crits. In EE you need to dispatch things fast.

The Spider Spuns are cool-looking and popular and a slight boost from the Vestments of the Sun Soul, better if you can unlock them with PDK favor to work with the set. The set you found is superior. Just a reminder that that set is especially useful for situational needs. Since you enjoy Fire Stance, a vorpal crit heals you and peels a negative level off of you. Works much much faster than the GMoF ability. Keep the Epic Jidz handy but switch to the Sun Soul set for special needs.

The neck item you suggest is perfect: you need that natural AC. That Shamanic Fetish is also a good option when attack speed is less important but when durability and self-healing is key.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    I suspect you haven't Combat Expertise. It's a boon to me: it's 10% AC bonus stacks with the 20% AC bonus of Grandmaster of Mountains for a whopping 30% AC, which is why I sit unbuffed at 86 or more AC (101+ buffed).
    While normally I'll completely agree with what Spencerian says, I'm not a fan of combat expertise. The AC it gives you will normally not matter, unless you're running eHard. And for eHard, your original set will allow you to crush everything as is, with just a bit of practice. Come EE, AC doesn't really factor into it.
    Unless you plan on using Improved Combat Expertise, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

I have to agree with Soul. CE isn't worth it. Epic Hard can be handled with GS displacement Clickies and the gear you have.

I can post my Monk setup but I forget what I have in most of the slots

Head: EH black dragon helmet
    Armor: black scale robe (+7 natural armor slotted)
    Bracers: EH twisting shade (used to be the epic windy bracers but the dodge change is coming)
    Ring: EH Storm Reaver (35 HP and maybe a exceptional in the colorless)
    Feet: EH treads
    Hands: PDK's
    Ring2: swappable but mostly holy burst on a junk ToD
    Belt: Epic spare hand with con and insightful wisdom
    Cloak: GS HP (con skills)
    Trinket: idol of the storm Reaver
    Neck: Amulet of the storm Reaver (Deathblock slotted)

This is on a 34 point Helf with the cleric dilly with full Wisdom. Thinking about TRing for the active Druid PL and going back to Monk again for better damage.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”