Default Just noticed that Oathblade got a nice upgrade in U17

I somehow missed the changes to Vorpal in the U17 patch notes.

My TR pulled out Oathblade last night when I hit level 20 and noticed the 2.5 [1d10] weapon damage.

Has anyone run the numbers to see how this compares to the one-handed CiTW weapons?

I know its only x2 crit... but with the 15-20 crit range and Superior Parrying, Absolute Law, Vorpal, Keen, Maiming, Bleed... it is sure a nice weapon for a level 20.
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post

My TR pulled out Oathblade last night when I hit level 20 and noticed the 2.5 [1d10] weapon damage.

Has anyone run the numbers to see how this compares to the one-handed CiTW weapons?

I know its only x2 crit... but with the 15-20 crit range and Superior Parrying, Absolute Law, Vorpal, Keen, Maiming, Bleed... it is sure a nice weapon for a level 20.
    Compared to the good CitW one-handers, it is worse. Look at Balizade - same crit range, x3 multiplier instead of x2. Upgraded, it gets a +8 instead of +6, 3d8 bleed matches the 1d8 bleed & 2d6 law. Oathblade has a d10 instead of a d8 die, but that only amounts to 2.5 damage, barely beating the 2 balizade gets from the +8 verses +6. Maiming on the Oathblade gives you a 30% chance to deal 1d6 ~ 1 damage. Maiming and the slight advantage the oathblade gets from +W effects just can't come close to comparing to the critical multiplier difference. Balizade even gets a red slot with the final upgrade.
    Last edited by chrisdinus7; 06-27-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdinus7 View Post
    Compared to the good CitW one-handers, it is worse. Look at Balizade - same crit range, x3 multiplier instead of x2. Upgraded, it gets a +8 instead of +6, 3d8 bleed matches the 1d8 bleed & 2d6 law. Oathblade has a d10 instead of a d8 die, but that only amounts to 2.5 damage, barely beating the 2 balizade gets from the +8 verses +6. Maiming on the Oathblade gives you a 30% chance to deal 1d6 ~ 1 damage. Maiming and the slight advantage the oathblade gets from +W effects just can't come close to comparing to the critical multiplier difference. Balizade even gets a red slot with the final upgrade.
    Thanks for the reply.

Looks like its good for a level 20 until I get high enough level for better weapons.
    Dorian

Yeah there's better stuff available, but considering how its just a matter of putting a little effort in to get hold of rather than requiring a degree of luck like the raid loot, it's certainly not a bad piece of kit & like you say, the potential to have it as soon as you hit level 20 (even on a 1st life with a few reps of the heroic stuff in eveningstar) makes it very attractive. Similarly for the stout oak walking stick, check its base dice & crit multiplier, its a bit of a beast.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdinus7 View Post
    Lets look at the numbers more methodically, just offensively (ie ignoring defensive mods):

Base Damage: 2d10+6 30%/x2 vs 2.5d8+8 30%x3; avg dmg 22.1 vs 30.8, edge Balizarde, with higher Seeker etc. favoring Balizarde more.

Mod Damage, assuming all hit: 2d6+1d8+0.3d6+100(.05)=17.55 vs 3d8= 13.5

So, all things otherwise being equal, Oathblade comes in at 39.65 vs Balizarde at 44.3. So even without the red slot, and even not considering how the x3 multiplier is more favorable to things like Power Attack and Seeker and STR bonus, Oathblade is still only about 89% as powerful.

But, considering its not raid loot, and its got an ML that's 3 levels lower, its definitely not a bad step-up weapon towards something like Balizarde or Celestia

They pale in comparison to CITW weapons--as they should. However, U17 did indeed give them a nice little buff. If you're dual wielding then it's pretty hard to beat a pair of Oathblades between 20 and 23, especially when you consider the near-zero effort that's required to acquire them.
    Forcin - Orien

One big thing about them, is if you're a whirling steel monk ish build, you can start adding all those [w] you get from that to them. I've seen some people go with a 12 monk build, twist in dance of flowers, and go dread (or twist IPA into something else) and end up with over a 7[w] on them. That alone makes up for a massive difference in power, though I'm not sure it truly edges it out.

It's still an awesome looking little blade you get for not much effort.