Default Sorcerer Spells - Are these right?

Human 2nd life sorcerer, earth savant with a point or two to pump up ice and force, a few feats and items to add to Conjuration school DCs. This is my proposed spell selection by the time I hit 20. Does this seem reasonable? Any suggestions for improvement?

1: Niac's Cold Ray, Magic Missle, Acid Spray, Jump
    2: Melf's Acid Arrow, Web, Blur, Knock
    3: Acid Blast, Chain Missles, Frost Lance, Haste
    4: Stoneskin, Acid Rain, Dimension Door, Burning Blood
    5: Protection from Elements, Cloud Kill, Prismatic Ray, [Cone of Cold/Niac's Biting Cold]
    6: Greater Heroism, Flesh to Stone, Distinigrate
    7: Mass Protection from Elements, Prismatic Spray, Banishment
    8: Black Dragon Bolt, Trap the Soul, Polar Ray
    9: Summon Monster IX, Meteor Swarm, Power Word Kill
    FYI, when I summon an earth elemental, it's not a "he," it's a "she." And her name is Pebbles.

"Right" is a completely relative term. That said, here are my thoughts:

1st level: I'd drop acid spray in favour of Shield or Nightshield (mostly for magic missile protection). You already have it as an SLA that can be meta'ed for free, and it's just not that effective otherwise.

2nd level: I don't carry blur on my sorc, as I keep myself displaced pretty much full time. As a party buff, it's become less necessary since perma-blur is fairly easy to get on equipment. I find Resist Energy to be more useful in parties, or Invisibility for soloing. I didn't take Acid Arrow on my earth savant either, but only because I don't like doubling up on stuff. Your experience may vary. Gust of wind can be useful for getting rid of enemy AOEs, although it will get rid of yours as well.

3rd level: I use displacement on all my arcane casters. It's just that good. Not sure what you'd want to drop to have it, but again, having the Acid Blast SLA replaced the spell for me.

4th level: Such a tough level for spell choices! Stoneskin (AWESOME on an Earth Savant) and acid rain are pretty much given, and Dimension Door is really hard to give up. I like having ice storm, myself, since it slows mobs down, but Burning Blood can be a nice DOT. It will really depend on your play style - use what you like best.

5th level: Another tough level for slot choices. I used protection from elements while leveling, but I dropped it once I had access to the Mass version. Cyclonic Blast can be nice, even though it's evocation.

6th level: I think you'll find that Flesh to Stone won't be landing enough to use in higher-level content. Maybe try Otilukes for acid-immune mobs, or Necrotic Ray for a no-save, no-SR neg level.

7th level: Pickings get a bit slim here, don't they? Banishment probably won't work too well (or at all, as we're fighting enemies on their home plane a lot of the time), I suggest Prismatic Spray (same effect as Ray, in a cone for multiple targets.)

8th level: I don't really use Trap the Soul for anything but Soul Gem farming, and I use a wizard for that. Symbol of Death is nice, you can kite mobs through it over and over, with a chance at a neg level each time. Greater Shout is great CC for high-SR mobs, but you'll need something to boost your evocations. Power Word Stun can be very useful as well, although it has a ridiculous cooldown.

9th level: I don't use summon spells, myself, so I would go with Energy Drain. Your playstyle may vary.

Hope this was helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Principle View Post
    Human 2nd life sorcerer, earth savant with a point or two to pump up ice and force, a few feats and items to add to Conjuration school DCs. This is my proposed spell selection by the time I hit 20. Does this seem reasonable? Any suggestions for improvement?

5: Protection from Elements, Cloud Kill, Prismatic Ray, [Cone of Cold/Niac's Biting Cold]
    Are you really sure you want to slot Trap the Soul? It's mats are kinda expensive.

What about Oltilukes Freszing Sphere?

And Acid Rain as opposed to Ice Storm? You're spec-ed for both Force and Ice, Ice Storm is a natural fit.

Edit: Also, you've got mass prot from elements and the individual protcetion from elementws. I'd dump the individual and just go with the mass version. You're a sorc, you've got SP on tap.
    Last edited by bsquishwizzy; 06-27-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Ignore mu comments about Oltilukes - I saw that you had points in ice and force, but missed the part about being Earth Savant. I get some of those selections now.

Not sure about Ice Storm though. I generally use that over Acid Rain because of the two types of damage. I think that may be a bit of a toss-up.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Are you really sure you want to slot Trap the Soul? It's mats are kinda expensive.

What about Oltilukes Freszing Sphere?

And Acid Rain as opposed to Ice Storm? You're spec-ed for both Force and Ice, Ice Storm is a natural fit.

Edit: Also, you've got mass prot from elements and the individual protcetion from elementws. I'd dump the individual and just go with the mass version. You're a sorc, you've got SP on tap.
    Trap the Soul can be nice if you have the DC to make it work but usually its better on a Wiz.
    Mat price isnt that heavy, about 100 plat per casting or cheaper, depending on the deals you get for its ings on the AH.
    Usually its enough to resell some of the Soulgems to buy an endless supply of mats.

Acid Rain and Ice Storm are a must have in my opinion, depending on your savant line exchange Ice storm for Fire wall.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    "Right" is a completely relative term. That said, here are my thoughts:

1st level: I'd drop acid spray in favour of Shield or Nightshield (mostly for magic missile protection). You already have it as an SLA that can be meta'ed for free, and it's just not that effective otherwise.
    I would go with Nightshield because of the saves. Protection From Evil is another spell I like here. I would probably drop Niac's because you have the no save MM spell also slotted.

2nd level: I don't carry blur on my sorc, as I keep myself displaced pretty much full time. As a party buff, it's become less necessary since perma-blur is fairly easy to get on equipment. I find Resist Energy to be more useful in parties, or Invisibility for soloing. I didn't take Acid Arrow on my earth savant either, but only because I don't like doubling up on stuff. Your experience may vary. Gust of wind can be useful for getting rid of enemy AOEs, although it will get rid of yours as well.
    I would drop Blur for Displacement also. Invisibility is good (again) now that they fixed NPC "agro." Resist Energy should replace Knock (You can carry Knock wands) and its good to have when you die in an adventure and lose all of your guild buffs

3rd level: I use displacement on all my arcane casters. It's just that good. Not sure what you'd want to drop to have it, but again, having the Acid Blast SLA replaced the spell for me.
    Acid Blast is an SLA so drop it for Displacement. Drop Frost Lance for Rage (+STR/+CON for Raids) and you have Chain Missle for your non-elemental damage source (along with your SLA)

4th level: Such a tough level for spell choices! Stoneskin (AWESOME on an Earth Savant) and acid rain are pretty much given, and Dimension Door is really hard to give up. I like having ice storm, myself, since it slows mobs down, but Burning Blood can be a nice DOT. It will really depend on your play style - use what you like best.
    I like Ice Storm for the different damage types (Cold/Bludgeon + Slow) but unless your running into too much Acid Immune this is a great set up like CheeseMilk said.

5th level: Another tough level for slot choices. I used protection from elements while leveling, but I dropped it once I had access to the Mass version. Cyclonic Blast can be nice, even though it's evocation.
    Drop protection (you will be using the mass version) and now you have Niac's and CoC both available.

6th level: I think you'll find that Flesh to Stone won't be landing enough to use in higher-level content. Maybe try Otilukes for acid-immune mobs, or Necrotic Ray for a no-save, no-SR neg level.
    Otilukes and Necrotic Ray (or Acid Fog) like CheeseMilk said. Drop Stone and Disintegrate (Transmutation, ick!)

7th level: Pickings get a bit slim here, don't they? Banishment probably won't work too well (or at all, as we're fighting enemies on their home plane a lot of the time), I suggest Prismatic Spray (same effect as Ray, in a cone for multiple targets.)
    Otto's Sphere of Dancing and drop Banishment. I think this is what CheeseMilk was going for because you already had Prismatic Ray.

8th level: I don't really use Trap the Soul for anything but Soul Gem farming, and I use a wizard for that. Symbol of Death is nice, you can kite mobs through it over and over, with a chance at a neg level each time. Greater Shout is great CC for high-SR mobs, but you'll need something to boost your evocations. Power Word Stun can be very useful as well, although it has a ridiculous cooldown.
    I prefer Otto's Irresistible Dance for more CC because I hate symbol spells. But SoD may be a better option

9th level: I don't use summon spells, myself, so I would go with Energy Drain. Your playstyle may vary.
    Hold Monster, Mass or Energy Drain. I like CC options (my play style).

Also, your already need + Conjuration and + Evocation gear. You just need to decide if you want to go minor Enchantment focus or Necromancy. Your not a PM, and CC abilities while grouping/solo'ing may be helpful so I prefer Enchantment. Especially when Web + Disco can lock down many NPC's in non-EE quests.

p.s. I have to thank CheeseMilk because he had a great post/response.

Community Member

1st: Expeditious Retreat, Nightshield, Jump, Grease (Acid Spray, Masters Touch, Niacs, Feather Fall)
    2nd: Web, Resist Energy, Blur, Knock (Scorching Ray, Invisibility, False Life)
    3rd: Acid Blast, Frost Lance, Displacement, Haste, (Rage)
    4th: Acid Rain, Ice Storm , Dimension Door, Burning Blood (Enervation)
    5th: Niac's Biting Cold, Break Enchantment, Cone of Cold, Teleport (Protection from Elements, Cloudkill)
    6th: Gr. Dispel Magic, Circle of Death, Disintegrate (Otilukes Freezing Sphere, Flesh to Stone)
    7th: Finger of Death, Prismatic Spray, Otto's Sphere of Dancing,
    8th: Trap the Soul , Polar Ray, Otto's Irresistible Dance (Black Dragon Bolt)
    9th: Power Word Kill, Energy Drain, Wail of the Banshee,

This is what i used last life as Acid Savant, in () is what i used while leveling or considered as options to swap.
    In the end i have to say only spell i almost never used is Prismatic Spray.

For buffs, buy scrolls of greater Heroism, Protection from Elements mass, Invisibility and you are set.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Level 1 should include sonic blast even with the reduction in effectiveness due to being earth savant, it's still a great & reliable little "spotter" type of attack & a very cheap way of potentially dazing enemies, as well as letting you break many boxes cheaply from range
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

I have to say, there really is a reason why you so rarely see Earth Savants. They just do not offer as much as the others. But if you really want to go Earth, here are some suggestions based on what I found playing mine to 24. All of the spell suggestions are based on levels 18+, as there are some spells that you would certainly want for leveling but no longer are viable at higher levels, such as Acid Arrow, Frost Lance, etc.

Niac's Cold Ray has a very low Caster Level cap, and the 'save for nothing' coupled with being an Evocation spell means that it will only ever be useful when Heightened. At that point you are spending a lot of SP for a very low damage spell. Acid Spray suffers from the same low CL cap, and is generally not worth the global cooldown to cast. Magic Missile is a good option, if and only if you are planning on using Shiradi Spam.

Shield seems like the best choice for blocking enemy Magic Missiles, as Nightshield has a very low cap on it's Resistance bonus. Much lower than what you should have from items. Protection from Evil is very handy for blocking Commands, and there are quite a few situations where the same MOB has Dispel Magic and Greater Command, making it kind of a pain to Wand or Potion for.

Melf's Acid Arrow is an Earth Savant staple while leveling, but not really fit to be using by the time you hit 18+. Blur seems like a nice party buff for others, but most people seem to have it itemized any more.

Resist Energy is nice to have on hand, as it is inevitable that Shipbuffs will be lost by someone at some point. Gust of Wind is a spell that won't get used very often, but it is a great one to have available in situations where enemy disco balls and such need to be blown away.

Frost Lance, unlike it's fire analog Scorching Ray, offers a saving throw. Being a low level spell, and also evocation, means that it is going to be nearly useless unless Heightened. And at that point, you are better off just using Polar Ray or Cone of Cold.

Acid Blast was mentioned before as being redundant with your SLAs, but I do not find this to be true. For one thing, the SLA has a significant cooldown. The SLA also fires straight ahead of you when you do not have anything hard targeted, as opposed to the spell which will aim wherever you have the camera pointed. On my Earth Savant life I found using both the SLA and the spell very useful, as an Acid Blast with all Meta-s turned off is great for breaking barrels and as a low SP alternative to fill in when your SLAs are on cooldown.

Level 3 was the first level that there were really more spells that I wanted to have than spell slots. Displacement is an absolute must-have spell for difficult content. Halt Undead is also a great spell that will let you bypass a great many foes in several quests. And everyone loves Rage, but there are just too many goodies and not enough level 3 spell slots!

Level 4 also has some difficult choices to make. Dimensional Door is just plain too useful to pass up. There are so many quests where this one spell makes an incredible difference. Stoneskin and Acid Rain are Earth Savant staples. Having Burning Blood as a short duration DOT seems nice, but it is nowhere near as useful as having Ice Storm. Ice Storm's area is (despite the graphical appearance) just about the same as Acid Rain's area of effect. Stacking the two gives you more damage, the great bonus of slowing the MOBs, and also 2x chances per tick (once for the ice damage and once for the bludgeoning) to spark Shiradi effects. There are other good spells at level 4, but these four really stand out head and shoulders above any others for an Earth Savant, especially one with Ice and Force as secondaries.

Protection from Elements is good to have, but I went with the Mass version. There really are not a lot of good choices for level 5 spells, so using either version has merits over the other. Cloud Kill seems like it would have good synergy with an Earth Savant, but since it can not be Maximized or Empowered it is left doing very anemic damage. On top of that, there are quite a few things that are outright immune to it, such as Undead, Constructs, (MOB not player) War Forged, etc.

Personally, I would consider the two that you have marked as contenders for the fourth slot as first and second choices. I also went with Eladar's Electric Surge. Despite having a reduced Caster Level as an Earth Savant, there are still a few places where it gets use.

Greater Heroism scrolls are easily accessible, so that is a very viable alternative to slotting the spell. Flesh to Stone and Disintigrate are both Transmutations spells, and as such not going to have very high save DCs. That won't be much of a problem if you are running some of the easier content, but they will become less and less useful the higher that you go. Honestly, for non-WF Sorcs there is not a great deal worth while at level 6.

Banishment is going to suffer from the same problem as Flesh to Stone and Disintigrate. Your DCs are going to be very low if you are running challenging content. Prismatic Spray is great for insta-killing things with low saves that typically can not be insta-killed. But this is really limited to only a few quests; it's incredibly handy when you need it but it isn't needed often. Otto's Sphere of Dancing is one that is more useful than most spells that offer a save, just because things can be kited in and out of it until they do fail a save. Waves of Exhaustion can be extremely useful as well.

Black Dragon Bolt and Polar Ray are absolute must haves here. Trap the Soul is a useful option, being an instakill that is based on a Conjuration save. Otto's Irresistible Dance and Power Word: Stun are also strong options. Probably the strongest option, though, is to forgo your third level 8 spell and do two levels of Paladin for Divine Grace instead.

Kind of sad that magic peaks around level 3-4, and every level after has fewer and fewer spells that are really desirable. All of the level 9 spells are kind of 'meh', apart from Meteor Swarm which is great for Shiradi spamming. Energy Drain is very solid in the right circumstances as well. Everything else is kind of so-so. As I mentioned before, it seems like a very solid trade off to just stick to one level 9 spell and take the 14+ bonus to all of your saving throws instead.

Hope you enjoy.

I've found a lot depends on who you play with as much as your preferred playstyle. I PuG a lot, I like to party! So I find displacement essential as it often goes so very bad! I've found that I can have all the DPS spells I want (ice specced) and still have plenty of room to be a buff-bot: haste, blur, resist energy, mass protection, jump, invis, knock, greater heroism, rage, stoneskin, greater teleport. You can fit all that in and still have a few of the limited selection of spells that really count DPS-wise under draconic incarnation, oh and don't forget at least two stacking damage over time spells. I run Niac's and Eladar's and sometimes feel guilty about not carrying a third, but then at a raid boss fight, everyone I'm running with is meleeing with haste, GH, blur and rage so the damage loss from me is mitigated by their increased damage output.

If you PuG and you're the only arcane, buff the heck outta the party like they were all your best friends, carry a load of heal and res scrolls and see just how smooth it can all go if you don't turn every single dungeon into a personal nuke-a-thon!

A lot of sorcerors like to run as warforged and see themselves as self-healing, self-buffing, masters of destruction (which they are) but there's another way to play where you still get to nuke, but also not annoy every other person in the party.

...of course I'm a sorc, so sometimes I just can't help myself and nuke every mob just before the melee's get to it! <grins> we can't always be buff-bots!

EDIT: almost forgot, if you find an empty slot at level 3, when you're higher level, do as I do and slip in "Magic Circle Against Evil" providing complete immunity to dominate, command and greater command, it costs so little to cast and stops the melees (and yourself) from dozing off in the middle of a combat against tricksy casters.
    Last edited by Daine; 06-27-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    Niac's Cold Ray has a very low Caster Level cap, and the 'save for nothing' coupled with being an Evocation spell means that it will only ever be useful when Heightened. At that point you are spending a lot of SP for a very low damage spell.
    Niac's Cold Ray is a conjuration spell, not evocation, but it's still bad for the reasons you outline.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Niac's Cold Ray is a conjuration spell, not evocation, but it's still bad for the reasons you outline.
    Got to say i love Niacs and always use it at low lvl,
    nothing else can compare to its damage in low if you just select the right targets.

The one problem with displacement is that it is no longer a party buff (or at least it wasn't when I stopped using it). Blur, while less protection, can be applied to perty members.

I always thought that restricting Displacement was an outright crime.

I also agree with suggestions to slot Eldar's Electric Surge. I find that even though my wizzy is cold / acid / force spec-ed, I generally DoT bosses with both biting cold and electric surge. Plus they have stacking damage, which makes them your go-to boss killers. The only boss I can remember that is immune to electric surge is the demon on the High Road's last quest. Just about everything else takes damage from it.

I would make an extensive list too, but its actually more fun finding out what spells you like all by yourself without help from others!
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM