Default Implementing Epic Spells

I have a crazy idea. First, add extra sources of fate points (like odd epic levels, or maxing out an entire ED sphere), then add one (or more) extra Twist of Fate slot. This slot, however, is a bit different than the others. First of all, you can't put any passive ability in it. Secondly, it's cheaper to upgrade it. This is called an Epic Spell Slot. That is, however, only half of it.

All available twists that can be put into your E.S.S. will appear in your Epic Spell Book (probably something you'll have to pay for). Other Epic spells can be added to the list, but you'll have to find them, first. Some will appear in quest chain end rewards, while others will be raid loot. Due to the difficulty in finding them, the epic spells will have to be epic. CitW might drop a Mass Web spell, or a Summon Epic Draegoloth spell, for instance. The Fall of Truth raid night drop a wide-area Epic Chain Lightning spell. There are many possibilities.

Epic spells don't have to be just mana abilities, however. There is no reason for there not to be epic monk abilities, like AoE finishing moves.

What do you all think?

This is not epic spells!

You want one more twist and cheaper xD.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    This is not epic spells!

You want one more twist and cheaper xD.
    In my proposal, everyone gets something they want. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    Epic spells can be added to the list, but you'll have to find them, first. Some will appear in quest chain end rewards, while others will be raid loot. Due to the difficulty in finding them, the epic spells will have to be epic. CitW might drop a Mass Web spell, or a Summon Epic Draegoloth spell, for instance. The Fall of Truth raid night drop a wide-area Epic Chain Lightning spell. There are many possibilities.

Epic spells don't have to be just mana abilities, however. There is no reason for there not to be epic monk abilities, like AoE finishing moves.

What do you all think?
    I like this part of the idea. It would be fun to acquire new abilities from quest chains.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

Wink Name Change?

I like the idea of receiving powerful abilities that you might "loot/earn" from encounters in different quests, but just so people do not get confused, maybe it could be referred to as an Epic Twist, Interwined Destiny or an Unforeseen Fate, as not all classes have spells. Either way, I like that the abilities would be based on the theme of the quest content. With the idea of moving away from only SLAs, perhaps the Epic Twist could be based on the ED that you are in/have bonded perhaps? Someone in Legendary Dreadnought might learn more about Trip from "web-line" trips of Driders in Sschindylryn than about casting a web spell.

NOTE: Abilities could be balanced by a negative effect, whereas the abilities are powerful but come at a cost. i.e. (Magister) Iron Web Strands might make webs that are immune to Fire, but once the mob was attacked with a Slashing/Bludgeoning weapon, the mob would be freed from the web.

I would like to made a suggestion for the ToD (Magister?) Epic Twist. It could be called "Howl of Pandemonium" or "Devilish Pact", and would cast a Wail of Banshee type spell, for each creature that died, it would summon a Bearded Devil, which would be hostile to the caster for 7 secs, while another Wail-effect targets them, and each Bearded Devil that died would become an Orthon, again targeting the caster before another Wail-effect would go off, turning all Orthons affected into Horned Devils. At the end of the 21 secs, a Pit Fiend would appear and command the devils to follow the caster as per the Suggestion spell, at the end of the duration of the Suggestion spell, all the Devils would be subject to a Banishment spell centered on the caster. Alternatively, all the devils could be automatically dismissed at the end of the duration but would leave behind a planar gateway that, if not destroyed, would spawn more uncontrolled devils. The effect and numbers could be tweaked to make it powerful but also risky to cast.
    Last edited by Panserbjorne; 06-27-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Community Member

What you're really talking about is planting the seeds of moving away from level-based character development...where you don't earn XP to gain levels to access new abilities, but you gain those abilities directly from completing content.

Pros to that idea: it eliminates content/equipment becoming obsolete when the level cap is raised; any endgame toon would be able to build onto their previous achievements, without those previous achievements becoming under-leveled.

Cons to that idea: it exacerbates power creep, as you'll have to keep slathering on layer after layer of "earnable power". With discrete levels, there's at least a way to quantify how much power you've earned. Also, it forces you to run certain content to achieve certain results, rather than letting you earn XP the way you want. Imagine if a keystone ability for your build was only granted rarely by a raid everyone universally hates (choose your own "favorite" example)...

Overall, I say keep the balance where it is: equipment earned through content completion; skills and abilities earned through XP gain.

Default Sorry if I wasn't clear....

What I meant to say was that the epic spells one would get from content are given in the form of *scrolls* that could be scribed into an epic spellbook similarly to any other spell scroll. You don't get it automatically, it's something that has a chance of dropping, just like any other item.

Also, epic spells would have caster levels and belong to different spell schools, just like any other spell. Thus, they would/could get more effective with higher caster levels.

@droid: I argue that getting equipment increases the power of a character. There really isn't much difference between getting +1 to caster level from an item and getting the same via a feat or enhancement.

/signed

I like it! Will I get a epic scroll of "heal thru the walls" ? ;p
    Keep it up!

Hoss~
    Hossa / Darree ~Khyber~ Doom Legion (Level 75)
    Proud Host of the DDO Hunger Games Along with Fawngate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    @droid: I argue that getting equipment increases the power of a character. There really isn't much difference between getting +1 to caster level from an item and getting the same via a feat or enhancement.
    Yes, but you can only wield one weapon, for example, at a time (two if TWF of course), and weapons don't grow with you as much as you level. There's always a tradeoff involved in gear selection.

Epic spells, as you describe, would be essentially like another gear slot. And spells, moreso than gear, level up with you (as you mentioned) when you increase your CL, add DC boosts via gear/feats/EDs/etc., add spellpower, and so on... And like boosts from gear don't stack - while you can use spells in rotation with similar spells to increase their effect.

You'd never have to replace an Epic Spell when you level up a few times. All you do is add to your pool of known Epic Spells, and then swap them out as needed. They don't become obsolete like gear does, you just keep adding on to your versatility (or, at least, it'd be a looooong time before a CL21 Epic Spell would be too low level to be viable anymore).