Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
There are multiple types of guilds, some are hardcore where yeah you got to be on all the time, some are large, some are small, some are casual, and some unfortunately are half dead. That doesn't change from mmo to mmo, some of the specifics yes, but not the core concept of it. Guilds are a central part of playing an mmo, if you don't want to be in one, you'd get more from a single player console game.
I'm so glad that you aren't in charge of writing New Player "rules" because you don't know what you're talking about.

In most MMOs I play I am not in a guild (I currently rotate between 5 MMOs as my "secondary to DDO" game). First, every single guild I've ever been in has been full of drama and most of them have died from that drama. I'm still in a guild in DDO but that also almost died from drama. The only reason I'm still in it is because a handful of us were still standing and all the drama-causers left the guild in a huff.

Second, because I like to rotate between games I don't feel its fair to join a guild when I'll only be playing for a few months and then switching to another game.

Sure, its possible to join a guild that doesn't have drama but that should be a choice. And no, I don't get more from a single player game than all those other MMOs I play without a guild. I still chat with people, trade with people, do events with people and occasionally run content with people. All without being in a guild.