Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Default Wayfinder Part IV: A new hope

I had the same thought "are they crazy another terrible idea in a month filled with terrible ideas"? and posted as much already but on thinking about it further;

Okay maybe Wayfinder wont be filled with looted out veterans who've done everything and can't be arsed to help a newb out, there are positives although I think this choice is a little daft on Turbines part the player base could make it something positive.

Everyone who's not an elitist uber player start a lvl 1 toon (and a Vet 4 and 7 and a Bladeforged 15 if you have them) on Wayfinder and help new players, in a few months we'll have the least "BYOH STRONGS ONLY SELECTIVE DON'T SUCK" server community in the game.

I am thinking of starting a dungeon crawler guild over there, not perma death, but explore, complete and enjoy the journey. I think it might be fun to run quests purely for the fun of running them, not spoiling everything with "that optional is not enough XP to be worth doing" meta gaming. I'm sure some newer players will develop into hard core elitist types, but it's would be interesting to see if a more friendly grown up and mature (and relaxed) community could be made in DDO.

Wayfinder is an interesting opportunity. Friendly helpful players can turn a puzzling game endangering decision into a positive new player friendly server...

I would like so much for the game to be more like you described,the BYOH,KNOW IT,TR ONLY,ELITE FARM,SOLO A SIDE,ZERG thing has gone from becoming those odd groups out there to be the majority of them....it just....makes me sad to see ddo,become this...this...abomination....

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Everyone who's not an elitist uber player start a lvl 1 toon
    That's a pretty bold statement there. I have years invested into not only the characters I have built, but the relationships I have built on my real server. Because I don't want to abandon that to play with new people who may or may not stay I'm an elitist uber player? I don't enjoy being Turbine's free QA, and I doubt I would enjoy being Turbine's Player Retention DeparIf we're going to throw labels around, I'd say you're rather.. vinegar and water.

I'm way ahead of you. I already started a cartoon over there. Unfortunately, I'm an anti-social solo player so when the newbs ask the only other guy in Korthos to play with them, they get a stern lecture on how random tells/ invites are considered rude in DDO.

On the plus side, it's pretty nice having the whole place to myself!

i thought about moving there. the game is already set up to be anti social and you don't really need groups for most of the quests so it would be a good place to go for quiet. im seriously considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    That's a pretty bold statement there. I have years invested into not only the characters I have built, but the relationships I have built on my real server. Because I don't want to abandon that to play with new people who may or may not stay I'm an elitist uber player? I don't enjoy being Turbine's free QA, and I doubt I would enjoy being Turbine's Player Retention DeparIf we're going to throw labels around, I'd say you're rather.. vinegar and water.
    If you take offense to that very general statement it just tells me you're defensive about that subject. Elitists are not necessarily elite skilled players, and vice versa. Mostly I would guess that Elitists are actually more about talk and bluster than actual elite skills. I base this on the fact that they often are scared to have "gimps" in their groups, and proclaim this with exclusionary terms in their LFM's that are anti-social and unwelcoming. We are all familiar with what I'm talking about it and have gotten into many arguments over it so lets tread some new ground.

Instead of quibbling over Elitism good bad or indifferent lets talk about trying to make a silly Turbine decision into a positive. Yes it will take a type of player that is in low supply in DDO, people who like to help, don't take themselves or the game overly serious and who aren't afraid of a good fail Alt-istis probably doesn't hurt, and a willingness to not meta game the ever living hell out of everything (to include twinking characters to the hilt because the AH on wayfinder has tumble weeds blowing through it).

Wayfinder is an interesting opportunity. Friendly helpful players can turn a puzzling game endangering decision into a positive new player friendly server...
    Wayfinder had a bad start, now it's a dead server.

Nothing is going to change that, but they can make things worse for DDO by not directing new players to Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by Ykt View Post
    Wayfinder had a bad start, now it's a dead server.

Nothing is going to change that, but they can make things worse for DDO by not directing new players to Khyber.
    I thought Khyber had so much drama that TNT tried to turn it into a series.

Seriously though, I agree that Wayfinder is probably at an end. The advantage to being in a larger server is that it is easier to receive advice from veteran players and you have more opportunities for help. There's more merchandise on the auction house and in the vendors, more resources. Attempting to redirect new players to Wayfinder is a bad idea.

Community Member

Default interseting.

I had the same thought "are they crazy another terrible idea in a month filled with terrible ideas"? and posted as much already but on thinking about it further;

Okay maybe Wayfinder wont be filled with looted out veterans who've done everything and can't be arsed to help a newb out, there are positives although I think this choice is a little daft on Turbines part the player base could make it something positive.

Everyone who's not an elitist uber player start a lvl 1 toon (and a Vet 4 and 7 and a Bladeforged 15 if you have them) on Wayfinder and help new players, in a few months we'll have the least "BYOH STRONGS ONLY SELECTIVE DON'T SUCK" server community in the game.

I am thinking of starting a dungeon crawler guild over there, not perma death, but explore, complete and enjoy the journey. I think it might be fun to run quests purely for the fun of running them, not spoiling everything with "that optional is not enough XP to be worth doing" meta gaming. I'm sure some newer players will develop into hard core elitist types, but it's would be interesting to see if a more friendly grown up and mature (and relaxed) community could be made in DDO.

Came up with this thought all on your own did you. Seems like Deja Vu to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

I was so filled with zeal reading these threads last night, I went over to Wayfinder and made a toon.

And there was. Not a single. LFM up. Not a single, blessed one.

And it just kinda hit me, "It's worse than even the forums were saying!"

I'd like to see DDO succeed, I really, really would. I'd like to see Wayfinder flourish.

Maybe I'll try again in a while. Maybe once some people get established over there, and there's a chance I won't be run off for my sehr crappy deutsch.

I'm hopeful, but as with all things Turbine, my hope is laced with hesitation, uncertainty, and the distinct feeling that Turbine is about to shoot half their playerbase in the foot.

Quomodo cecidisti de cælo, Lucifer, qui mane oriebaris. corruisti in terram, qui vulnerabas gentes.
    Qui dicebas in corde tuo: In cælum conscendam, super astra Dei exaltabo solium meum.

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    Came up with this thought all on your own did you. Seems like Deja Vu to me.
    So I'm guessing you posted the same idea somewhere? I've seen someone else post the same idea in a different thread (Teh Troll I think). Great minds think alike, or even a blind squirrel whatever

Community Member

So I'm guessing you posted the same idea somewhere? I've seen someone else post the same idea in a different thread (Teh Troll I think). Great minds think alike, or even a blind squirrel whatever

Plagiarism seems to make it look like that doesn't it?

have a good evening.
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Plagiarism seems to make it look like that doesn't it?

have a good evening.
    Ooh kaaay, well thanks for the awkward derail, clearly you have only the best interest of "your idea" at heart. BTW I don't think plagiarism means what you think it means; you're accusing me of copying your writing (which honestly I have not even laid eyes in let alone copied; where is your thread again? I don't see it.) Anyway the derail only serves as a distraction from the fact that "your idea" doesn't seem too popular.

Community Member

Ooh kaaay, well thanks for the awkward derail, clearly you have only the best interest of "your idea" at heart. BTW I don't think plagiarism means what you think it means; you're accusing me of copying your writing (which honestly I have not even laid eyes in let alone copied; where is your thread again? I don't see it.) Anyway the derail only serves as a distraction from the fact that "your idea" doesn't seem too popular.
    Have a good evening.

EDIT: pla·gia·rism
    /?pl?j??riz?m/
    Noun
    The practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.
    Last edited by forummuleonly; 06-26-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Have a good evening.

EDIT: pla·gia·rism
    /?pl?j??riz?m/
    Noun
    The practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.
    Awk·ward sil·ence
    /herp derp/
    What happens when someone derails a thread with ludicrous ideas of being the only person to think of an idea or concept that pretty much anyone could have thought of and apparently did.

Seriously get over yourself, I'm not 100% sure I've ever read a single post of yours. I am 100% sure that I wrote my post without seeing or coping anything of yours. It seems a rather obvious way to make virtue of necessity so I'm not surprised I wasn't the first one or only one to think about it. I tried to be light hearted and even self deprecating with the blind squirrel comment (as in even a blind squirrel happens on to a nut occasionally? You know?) but obviously you're taking this seriously which tbh were it not a little comical would be kind of creepy.

BTW I just checked your posts for the last couple days, you have not posted anything about this back as far as I could stand looking, so I'm guessing your whole purpose was to derail the thread and troll me. Well done, welcome to my ignore list, you're the only person on it. If I somehow missed the post you claim I plagiarized I blame it on the cr@p forum (seriously try clicking on a name and read posts by author, white background, off white text light gold titles, if I missed in it's either swimming in light on white, or it was posted before the 24th LOL)
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 06-27-2013 at 12:47 AM.