Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's funny to see this post, as just yesterday I made my first character on Wayfinder to get 100 favor. LOL it really is empty! There were zero LFMs. Zero! It was rare to actually see a person in the harbor. It felt weird being there.
    Katavina Leagond - Cannith

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEmperorDragon View Post
    It's funny to see this post, as just yesterday I made my first character on Wayfinder to get 100 favor. LOL it really is empty! There were zero LFMs. Zero! It was rare to actually see a person in the harbor. It felt weird being there.
    It can't be worse than Keeper or Devourer a few week before they announced their closure....
    Even with a low level of LFM ( well I won't go into the global problem with LFM ) Wayfinder is not at the stage where all the persons logged in can fit into a single Raid party.
    K & D were more or less at that stage, when you had 50 persons logged in at the same time it was peak hour on a peak day.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

/signed

/signed
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

I vote for doing what should have been done on a decision level all that time ago. Get some gas, and send wayfinder back to where it came from.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

I made a character and deliberately went level1 korthos saw no one at all for a while... I'll check again but I'm not sure even a bunch of Vets trying to make a player organized "mentor" system (that I have on good authority is not my idea, but that's okay) could save Wayfinder...

Turbine making some sort of incentive to go their and help new players might be a thought... maybe double favor TP awards or something? Geeze I hope forumuseonly didn't think of that and then not post it anywhere, and accuse me of stealing their idea.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    I made a character and deliberately went level1 korthos saw no one at all for a while... I'll check again but I'm not sure even a bunch of Vets trying to make a player organized "mentor" system (that I have on good authority is not my idea, but that's okay) could save Wayfinder...
    I'm in Germany and every time I log on to Wayfinder there are minimum 150 people logged on.
    Of course that is at around 19:00-20:00 GMT+1 and not US prime time.

So before all you Americans say Wayfinder is always empty, maaaybe you think about that there are different time zones. It seems sadly somewhat typical for Americans to forget there are other parts of the world that matter.

Wayfinder startet as a German server. That was a big mistake from the start. I am sure if it had been a server just like any other, there'd be no problem at all. And making Wayfinder what it should have been in the first place - a server just like any other - is certainly possible. But I get the feeling most people on the forum WANT Wayfinder to fail - not because it's Wayfinder but simply to be able to spitefully say "Told you so, Turbine".

I like Wayfinder. I like the people I play with there (which is almost every day at least for a bit). And neither me nor any of them would continue playing DDO if Wayfinder is about to be closed. In fact, it's the only server I encountered players who are actually polite and helpful - possibly because players are more valued there.

Community Member

Way finder being the recommended server al started in response to someone from way finder asking for help due to low population. I think Turbine's response was done with good intentions (to help) but it was not thought through very well. And now that people are complaining, the person(s) who made the decision have just had their feelings hurt so to speak. Like when I buy my kid a candy bar (cuz I love her and want to make her happy) but she cries because she wanted a different one. So then I feel that my gesture was unappreciated and I become annoyed or angry. Ultimately, if I were evil hearted, I might just the candy bar myself, and my kid would get nothing.

So, if my bad analogy made sense, Turbine might now feel slighted, and despite our arguing that it is a horrible move for the game, they may stubbornly refuse to change now.

I feel like we should be warning people away from way finder because the low pop and feeling of "this game is dying" is not indicative of ddo in general. Also if new player is in US time zone, why would he play in server that has high percentage of European folks? Because of peak time issues, not nation of origin?

So
    /signed

Community Member

I would prefer for Wayfinder to continue, and to grow. I cannot favor any decision to close it down; it is home to many people, as well.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    If Wayfinder does indeed have only 10% of the population of other servers, I would much rather see them folded into an existing server, preferably the one with the lowest population since it would be the one most needing additional players.

Of course, I don't know how difficult it is do this sort of thing, so I don't know how realistic a possibility it is. I realize that server merging has happened in the past, but the game has changed, and frankly I don't know how much work it was the first time around.
    Unless you play on Wayfinder, what your opinion is as to what they should do with the server I play on really shouldn't matter.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Unless you play on Wayfinder, what your opinion is as to what they should do with the server I play on really shouldn't matter.
    Wirklich.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

It seems like the people on Wayfinder mostly want to stay on Wayfinder but want more people.

I think the notion that new players need vets is a myth. When I was a new player I was much better off grouping with a new player rather than grouping with a vet that would storm through the dungeons. It's difficult to learn that way.

With a server having a high percentage of new players, it's quite possible that long-term retention could be greater. Hopefully Turbine will do something to encourage raiding if the population is low - possibly even sponsoring a few people to host raids . Ensuring that people get an opportunity to run raids will make this move more successful.

I hope their idea works - I think it has potential.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeGirl View Post
    I'm in Germany and every time I log on to Wayfinder there are minimum 150 people logged on.

So before all you Americans say Wayfinder is always empty, maaaybe you think about that there are different time zones. It seems sadly somewhat typical for Americans to forget there are other parts of the world that matter.
    150? Are you actually putting that number in a positive light? Even if that number tripled during prime time (it doesn't) it would still be an extremely small number of players.

Sending new players to Wayfinder is unbelievably cruel. Even the top servers are not overly populated. I would happily suggest Thelanis or Khyber to a new player. I would only ever suggest Wayfinder if they wanted to experience DDO as a single player game. This game just isn't popular enough to make Wayfinder a viable server.

If I was trying a new game and went to a suggested server like Wayfinder I would just assume the game is dead and move on. I wouldn't be trying to find a mentor or looking for life long buddies. I would just move on. Some really naive responses in this thread.

Polite and helpful players are not exclusive to low population servers. You can find the same players on the better servers and you can actually group with them too!
    Last edited by Gara; 06-28-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeGirl View Post

Wayfinder startet as a German server. That was a big mistake from the start. I am sure if it had been a server just like any other, there'd be no problem at all. And making Wayfinder what it should have been in the first place - a server just like any other - is certainly possible. But I get the feeling most people on the forum WANT Wayfinder to fail - not because it's Wayfinder but simply to be able to spitefully say "Told you so, Turbine".

I like Wayfinder. I like the people I play with there (which is almost every day at least for a bit). And neither me nor any of them would continue playing DDO if Wayfinder is about to be closed. In fact, it's the only server I encountered players who are actually polite and helpful - possibly because players are more valued there.

150 is a nice number for a raid channel recruitment population in most games (ie several guilds) not server population. For server population, I have serious doubts that 150 people logged on 24/7 would pay the upkeep for the server to be perfectly honest. I think we now know where the p2w money goes, to keep the dead server of wayfinder running.

edit*

I'm tempted to download the f2p version of eq atm, I'm willing to bet that extremely niche old game has more players logged in on each server than 150.
    Last edited by Charononus; 06-28-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Community Member

Wayfinder has a little over 30, atm, not counting any anons.

But who is awake, now, anyway.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

/signed...

what a stupid idea. they are gonna manage this game into the ground.

edit: just checked. its just gone 9am in Germany and there is 3 LFMs up and less than 2 scrollpages worth of people on.

Just checked Kyber (not my home server) and their was 21 LFMs and too many people on to count. More than Argo, perhaps i should do a server transfer.
    Last edited by humbleroller; 06-28-2013 at 02:22 AM.
    Real join date: Update 7

My suggestion is turn off wayfinder complette and also turn off an additional server from the tail of popularity. This will help everyone, including Turbine saving their money required for maitance. yesterday i saw 1 LFM at LVL9 on Thelanis durin US primetime. Opening LFM on Elite brings one member to may group. Then I opened elite BB for Delera chain (parts 2-4 have base lvl7 + 2 for Bb) without any response from others during half of the hour. Then i left the game to do something useful.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by humbleroller View Post
    /signed...

what a stupid idea. they are gonna manage this game into the ground.

edit: just checked. its just gone 9am in Germany and there is 3 LFMs up and less than 2 scrollpages worth of people on.

Just checked Kyber (not my home server) and their was 21 LFMs and too many people on to count. More than Argo, perhaps i should do a server transfer.
    Oh, my! What could they possibly be doing at 9 am on a Friday morning that they are not playing DDO?

Work, maybe?

Just another reason to encourage players from other time zones to play on Wayfinder.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    150 is a nice number for a raid channel recruitment population in most games (ie several guilds) not server population. For server population, I have serious doubts that 150 people logged on 24/7 would pay the upkeep for the server to be perfectly honest. I think we now know where the p2w money goes, to keep the dead server of wayfinder running.
    I'm guessing if Turbine felt it would be better for them in the long run to merge a game server they probably would do it. Personally I don't think the costs of having these people playing on one copy of the game as opposed to another is really any different.

just gone 1PM on a Friday. Checked Wayfinder. 2 and a bit pages of names, and 3 LFMs.

it'd be funny if it wasnt so sad.
    Real join date: Update 7

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast