Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Please change the default recommended server for new players to NOT be Wayfinder

They recently changed the default recommended server to Wayfinder for brand new players. (Dev post here.) I see this as highly destructive to the game itself. A brand new player logs in, rolls up his first new alt, sees a complete ghost town, figures the game is dead and abandons DDO for any other game that actually has a playerbase.

Wayfinder has something like 10% of the population of any of the other servers. Sending new players there is not the way to fix that. All that will do is drive new players away from DDO.

Please sign this if you agree that sending new players to Wayfinder is bad for the health of DDO.
    Last edited by EllisDee37; 06-26-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: 10% is a more fair assessment than 2% I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

/signed
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

I'm sure some vets think this is a grand idea, but I can't fathom why the devs would think so.

Poor idea.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

I would have signed this yesterday when I posted that I thought it was a crazy non thought out idea, but what if instead of investing energy railing agaisnt Turbine here, if you're inclined; start a toon on Wayfinder and let new players know the server is new and we're building it up. Make a virtue of necessity... The players who just want populated servers can be directed to Khyber and Thelanis and the ones who hang out will get the least Elitist version of DDO possible, they wont be attacked for trying out a odd multiclass and the groups will be challenging endevours with heroes needed to "win the day" (i.e. save a wipe)... I've said more than once the most exciting DDO gets is when you're the guy who's either going to recover from the near wipe, or die in a glorious pile of orc bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    what if instead of investing energy railing agaisnt Turbine here, if you're inclined; start a toon on Wayfinder and let new players know the server is new and we're building it up.
    I support your desire to do this, but I personally have lots of friends on my home server as well as a stable of characters I've worked on for years. Working on characters is what I find fun about the game, so abandoning them doesn't strike me as fun at all. Nor does leaving all my friends behind to go join a ghost town where I likely won't be able to raid or run events like crystal cove and mabar.

I have to ask, how does this recommendation manifest itself? I vaguely remember just picking a server at random when i started playing, i don't remember any particular one being recommended. Is this a new thing?

I have a level 6 fighter on wayfinder. While i like the idea of going back there to help out newbs, I have to agree with Ellis. I'm pretty invested in the server i call home now (Argo). For anyone who is still relatively a drifter in ddo terms, i say go for it. Assuming whatever this recommendation thing is, actually sends a lot of new players to Wayfinder.

There are new players?
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I have to ask, how does this recommendation manifest itself? I vaguely remember just picking a server at random when i started playing, i don't remember any particular one being recommended. Is this a new thing?
    If you don't have a last-visited world the first server in the list gets identified as the "Recommended World" when you select it.

However, looks to me that it's just a random world being picked right now, and not Wayfinder, to be put first in the list after I deleted the server info from the launcher preferences file. Can't tell if that's the fault of the login server or the launcher.

As I recall, over on LOTRO there's the Christmas effect when whichever server happens to be the current Recommended World gets overrun by newbies at Christmas, even causing login problems.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    if you're inclined; start a toon on Wayfinder
    Tempting...

That might be easier than cleaning out my TR cache....

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    They recently changed the default recommended server to Wayfinder for brand new players. (Dev post here.) I see this as highly destructive to the game itself. A brand new player logs in, rolls up his first new alt, sees a complete ghost town, figures the game is dead and abandons DDO for any other game that actually has a playerbase.

Wayfinder has something like 10% of the population of any of the other servers. Sending new players there is not the way to fix that. All that will do is drive new players away from DDO.

Please sign this if you agree that sending new players to Wayfinder is bad for the health of DDO.

/signed.

SO IMPORTANT IT NEEDS TO BE:

/double signed.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

The other issue that will be a factor is that since the Wayfinder was largely originally intended to be Euro centered was that the player base would be active in prime play time which would be about 6 hours offset from North America, which would also leave even fewer player match up options.
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post

Wayfinder has something like 10% of the population of any of the other servers.
    If Wayfinder does indeed have only 10% of the population of other servers, I would much rather see them folded into an existing server, preferably the one with the lowest population since it would be the one most needing additional players.

Of course, I don't know how difficult it is do this sort of thing, so I don't know how realistic a possibility it is. I realize that server merging has happened in the past, but the game has changed, and frankly I don't know how much work it was the first time around.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 06-27-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Really? They're recommending new players start in Wayfinder? Is it an old April Fools Joke gone awry or something?

Oh well, I find it hard to really care how badly Turbine wants to sabotage DDO, but what the heck; to it being a really, really, really bad idea:

/signed

It's funny to see this post, as just yesterday I made my first character on Wayfinder to get 100 favor. LOL it really is empty! There were zero LFMs. Zero! It was rare to actually see a person in the harbor. It felt weird being there.
    Katavina Leagond - Cannith

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEmperorDragon View Post
    It's funny to see this post, as just yesterday I made my first character on Wayfinder to get 100 favor. LOL it really is empty! There were zero LFMs. Zero! It was rare to actually see a person in the harbor. It felt weird being there.
    It can't be worse than Keeper or Devourer a few week before they announced their closure....
    Even with a low level of LFM ( well I won't go into the global problem with LFM ) Wayfinder is not at the stage where all the persons logged in can fit into a single Raid party.
    K & D were more or less at that stage, when you had 50 persons logged in at the same time it was peak hour on a peak day.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

/signed

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    If Wayfinder does indeed have only 10% of the population of other servers, I would much rather see them folded into an existing server, preferably the one with the lowest population since it would be the one most needing additional players.

Of course, I don't know how difficult it is do this sort of thing, so I don't know how realistic a possibility it is. I realize that server merging has happened in the past, but the game has changed, and frankly I don't know how much work it was the first time around.
    Unless you play on Wayfinder, what your opinion is as to what they should do with the server I play on really shouldn't matter.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Unless you play on Wayfinder, what your opinion is as to what they should do with the server I play on really shouldn't matter.
    Wirklich.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

It seems like the people on Wayfinder mostly want to stay on Wayfinder but want more people.

I think the notion that new players need vets is a myth. When I was a new player I was much better off grouping with a new player rather than grouping with a vet that would storm through the dungeons. It's difficult to learn that way.

With a server having a high percentage of new players, it's quite possible that long-term retention could be greater. Hopefully Turbine will do something to encourage raiding if the population is low - possibly even sponsoring a few people to host raids . Ensuring that people get an opportunity to run raids will make this move more successful.

I hope their idea works - I think it has potential.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

/signed
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast