Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Just another reason to encourage players from other time zones to play on Wayfinder.
    so their first example of the game is a dead community?
    Real join date: Update 7

I rolled a toon on Wayfinder last night and played for 4 hours. 6-10 CDT. 2 LFM's in that time in my level range 1-4. 34-52 players online as I was checking and counting after quests.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    I rolled a toon on Wayfinder last night and played for 4 hours. 6-10 CDT. 2 LFM's in that time in my level range 1-4. 34-52 players online as I was checking and counting after quests.
    Did you have fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Did you have fun?
    Not really. I logged back into Cannith and thanked my guild members for being there. I'd like to see what sort of numbers there are during peak Europe times

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    Not really. I logged back into Cannith and thanked my guild members for being there. I'd like to see what sort of numbers there are during peak Europe times
    Are you looking for a server to play during peak Europe times? Else, why do you care?

While I'll agree it may not a good idea to direct new players to Wayfinder do to it's less cosmopolitan nature. Why do so many that don't play there even care if the server stays around for those of use that do enjoy it's more laid back small town feel?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by humbleroller View Post
    so their first example of the game is a dead community?
    Emotive language doesn't work with me, but nice try.

The Wayfinder community does have a narrower time window of activity due to such low numbers of players outside of EU time zones. This may be due in part to the (DE) appended to the server name, but I think it more likely due to the launcher showing only 6 of 8 server names without scrolling and Wayfinder being last in the list, unseen by most.

Honestly, how many new players even knew that (DE) meant German? If I were to guess, I would say that most new American players that saw it thought it meant something like Developer's Environment until they learned about Lamma land. lol
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Are you looking for a server to play during peak Europe times? Else, why do you care?
    This wasn't directed to me personally, but just to toss it out there, I don't care a white if Wayfinder stays open as is. In fact, I rather like it being open since it's another server to take to 100 favor.

While I'll agree it may not a good idea to direct new players to Wayfinder
    This is the complaint.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    This wasn't directed to me personally, but just to toss it out there, I don't care a white if Wayfinder stays open as is. In fact, I rather like it being open since it's another server to take to 100 favor.

This is the complaint.
    Yes, but others seem to think the best way to fix the issue, as well as other things that mostly exist only in their imagination, is to shut the server down.

Default The Oracle speaks

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    They recently changed the default recommended server to Wayfinder for brand new players. I see this as highly destructive to the game itself....

Wayfinder has something like 10% of the population of any of the other servers. Sending new players there is not the way to fix that. All that will do is drive new players away from DDO.
    Hmmm. After days of observation, the Oracle notes that Wayfinder traffic hit the highest it's been in a quarter, but with no appreciable drop in other server's activity. Which part is the 'destructive' part?

Clearly the situation requires more watching. As it happens, the Oracle likes to watch.

Their are no such things as timezones in the Americas because time cease to exist. The sun has lost it's grip on the canadian Rockies and twilight is forever! That said in the dead of night it's still as deadening as the morning. Which would be about afternoon evening over the the cabbage patch.

Now then about that gas... mm can yall donate some petrol? I'm a lil short on my end.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Mmmm... nice metaphors?

Diversifying the playerbase on Wayfinder with respect to time zones would liven things up.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tecc View Post
    Hmmm. After days of observation, the Oracle notes that Wayfinder traffic hit the highest it's been in a quarter, but with no appreciable drop in other server's activity. Which part is the 'destructive' part?

Clearly the situation requires more watching. As it happens, the Oracle likes to watch.
    The part where new player retention drops from 50-60% to 25-30% that will only be measurable on the populated servers over months, and will be masked by the existing losses of players that is already happening because people leave MMO's when they feel dead and they see that there's nothing much on the LFM panel for them to do.

Fortunately Turbine has metrics for these things and they should be able to reverse the decision to direct new players to a dead server within a few months and the unnecessary loss of several thousand new players.

Once again, the way to turn this positive is for motivated "mentor" types and people who like fresh starts or low level content a lot, to go make some characters on wayfinder and be there for new players.*

*I have it on good authority** that I stole this idea from "forumuseonly" despite the fact that he or she never posted anything resembling this idea so I am putting this footnote in to avoid their creepy thread derailing accusations

** which would be forumuseonly

Community Member

They should direct everyone newly joining to the most populated server and allow free transfers from other servers to the first and second most populated servers (in case one gets to full, what I dont think, they could direct new players to the second one then) as well. Maybe use a combination of color coding and letters (player X is from Wayfinder, so his name is green, so /tell GX) bound to it for chat purposes etc. instead of weird suffixes so people dont get their names all screwed up.
    People that are happy with the populations seem to mostly group by other means than lfm, so none of those would have a problem either since total server pop does not matter for that. And if they ever get a problem with it, it will be good that there are two populated servers where you can play without limitations and perhaps even find people for a specific non most-popular-tier quest.

As it is the only time this game really flourishes and is playable almost unrestricted by a lack of options is (US) prime time on weekends.
    Last edited by OwenMay; 07-02-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Community Member

Or it's a golden opportunity for the players to create an unofficial VIP-only server by all the VIPs transferring to Wayfinder.

Community Member

/signed

I think it would be cool if they could somehow merge servers it would make ddo life more active and exciting and might help keep the game alive.

Community Member

/signed

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaipakta View Post
    /signed
    This thread is over a year old. The default server has been changed three times at least since then. Maybe 4. Bad necro. Bad.

Free Nelson Mandela!

You lack the conviction to ignore some undead threads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast