Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Catch 22 of perceived server population.

The Catch 22 of perceived server population.

I log on, see that very little is happening so I log off. This is 'Decay breeding decay'.
    -or-
    I log in, see that lots of things are happening so I stay logged in and add to the activity.

I would rather play on a very busy server with a bit of lag than not play at all because there is nothing to do.
    I dont always feel like leading a pug and im not good at leading anything past level 12 anyway.
    I hate soloing. This is an MMO and the game was designed around team play and not soloing.

The server population has already been diluted across 2 expansion pack contents and 5 Epic levels.
    There is the same amount of people spread over a larger area and this needs to be addressed.

What really needs to happen is we need some proper information from Turbine.

I want this game to grow and be around for a few more years. I want Turbine and WB to get behind their own game and make it thrive.
    Real join date: Update 7

Question

Quote Originally Posted by humbleroller View Post
    I read your post, but I can't figure out exactly what information you are hoping to get from Turbine.

Care to clarify?
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

I log on, see that very little is happening so I log off. This is 'Decay breeding decay'.
    -or-
    I log in, see that lots of things are happening so I stay logged in and add to the activity.

I would rather play on a very busy server with a bit of lag than not play at all because there is nothing to do.
    I dont always feel like leading a pug and im not good at leading anything past level 12 anyway.
    I hate soloing. This is an MMO and the game was designed around team play and not soloing.

The server population has already been diluted across 2 expansion pack contents and 5 Epic levels.
    There is the same amount of people spread over a larger area and this needs to be addressed.

I want this game to grow and be around for a few more years. I want Turbine and WB to get behind their own game and make it thrive.
    You will never get direct information from Turbine or any game company really. If you did, it would be something generic like over 1 million people have played DDO (even if 10% or less of them actually log in on a regular basis).

You also have people spread out between several games now too! As new content comes out in various games, expect people to flock to it to check it out, then drift around to other games. Its what MMO's are facing in a free to play era.

Plus what is there to do in DDO right now? New content? 3 Level 15 quests (one you have to pay for), was run once by people to get Purple Dragon Knight Favor and then immediately forgotten about. Roughly an hour to get through that.

TR? With potential changes to TR'ing lurking... why risk it? Too much work for too little reward, with the risk that it could be all for nothing before too long.

Raiding? Blah. Fall of Truth and Caught in the Web are about the only one's being run for the most part and that is only because they drop the Heroic Commendations people want. Other than the odd tome, there is little loot people want out of either of those raids. Older raids offer little.

Roll up a new character? Again with both TR and enhancement changes coming, you risk your build not even working. Why bother?

It's also summer.

It's no wonder that server populations are running low. When the Expansion comes out, you'll see people come back for a few months. If Turbine follows the xpac up with another worthwhile update shortly after (a raid perhaps?) it could be enough to keep DDO active through the rest of 2013.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Community Member

Default What server is most populated???

-or-

I just came back my old acc got banned and well starting new... wondering what server to join thsat is not totally dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    It's no wonder that server populations are running low. When the Expansion comes out, you'll see people come back for a few months.
    This is probably too optimistic, with no raid it won't take more than a month for the quests to get old, raiding keeps people at endgame, no raid = bored end game population.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPnecrash View Post
    I just came back my old acc got banned and well starting new... wondering what server to join thsat is not totally dead.
    Make a level 1 and use the LFG tool. Over a couple play sessions you can see what the server population is like during your play time to make the most informed decision. Can also use the AH and compare prices on +2 tomes for different servers. The more players = more supply = lower prices (And the opposite is also true )

Could someone with toons are each server do this? Post the average price of +2 tomes here.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Make a level 1 and use the LFG tool. Over a couple play sessions you can see what the server population is like during your play time to make the most informed decision. Can also use the AH and compare prices on +2 tomes for different servers. The more players = more supply = lower prices (And the opposite is also true )
    Server population wouldn't have any effect on ah prices. Thelanis is one of the busiest servers and has a much higher average price on common found items. This is with information on prices from guildies who have transfered from various other servers to play on thelanis.
    +2 tomes aren't exactly in high demand either, they have been around way too long most people are now chasing +3-4. Also gauging server activity with a level one would only show you how many new players are starting out, generally older established players will have friends/guildies to run with or since that content becomes trivial to them they would just solo it all from 1-4 in a hour or two.
    Best bet would be to make individual posts in each of the servers general section you will get a better picture having information from a wider range of player types/lengths of in game play. Personally I can say that thelanis is probably the biggest end game server with the most players running difficult content at the highest levels with a strong European & Japanese player base keeping the off hours busy as well peak USA times.
    Officer of Renowned

Thelanis

(Click here too check us out)

Polverizing The Wise, Dotting The Cleanser, Polarities The Undying, Sosage The Killer, Shootin The piercer & many more holders of items.

http://ddoracle.com/Traffic.html

Ghallanda is kind of odd atm it's really spiked on the traffic reports. Now this is logins but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    It's also summer.
    I don't understand this at all!

Summer = When all the Kids are out of School/College etc.

Summer = When we should have MORE people Online - NOT LESS!

Yes people go on Holiday/Vacation - Mostly for two weeks out of six {is it still 8 weeks summer holidays in the States?}.

But - When I started DDO it was early summer!
    And the big drop off of people was September/October - As those in Education slowly Dwindled!
    Some came back at Half-Term, Some Came Back at Christmas
    BUT - A game like DDO needs to KEEP your Attention - It needs you playing Every day! - The longer you leave it between logging on the more likely you'll never log on again!

People trying other games aren't logging on to DDO!
    People waiting for the Enhancement Pass/Next Expansion or Update AREN'T LOGGING ON TO DDO!

When that comes out - They log back in to check things out, Maybe stay a week or two - then are gone again till the next update/expansion!
    DDO needs these people PLAYING!

There's always gonna be Attrition SO DDO also needs Marketing to get a constant stream of New Players!
    Marketing can NEVER stop!
    Because 75% at least of New Players vanish within a Month!

Older P2P Packs should be phased to F2P to keep New Players interested - When they hit Lvl 5 and all the groups are for P2P Packs - Tangleroot, STK, Sharn, Catacombs, Carnival, Necro 1, Delera's, 3 Barrel Cove! This puts them off continuing!

3 Barrel would be perfect to add as a Bonus to Buying Vet 1 / Earning 1000 Favour!
    Make it the Default starter Zone for Vet 1s and TRs {Yes - Allow TRs to start at Lvl 4 rather than Lvl 1!}

STK is the weakest Low Level Pack Loot Wise although since the changes Sharn Syndicate is also poor!
    Make these two Packs F2P!

Threnal - Needs A Full Rework
    As Does Restless Isles
    BOTH could be helped by making them F2P However in the meantime.
    You can always revert them to P2P after said Rework!
    And AFTER people have had a taster!

Now we have Eveningstar it might also be worth looking at making Carnival and Sentinels F2P!

And of course - There's the oft requested Epic Versions of:

Misery's Peak
    Redwillow's Ruins
    Gwylan's Stand
    Caverns of Korromar
    Stormcleave Outpost
    Xorian Cypher/Dreams of Insanity
    Tempest Spine
    Mired in Kobolds
    And Much Much More!

I personally feel that Redwillow's, Gwylan's, Korromar, Stormcleave and Tempest Spine would make a Fantastic Epic Pack for F2P!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    I don't understand this at all!

Summer = When all the Kids are out of School/College etc.

Summer = When we should have MORE people Online - NOT LESS!

Yes people go on Holiday/Vacation - Mostly for two weeks out of six {is it still 8 weeks summer holidays in the States?}.

But - When I started DDO it was early summer!
    And the big drop off of people was September/October - As those in Education slowly Dwindled!
    Some came back at Half-Term, Some Came Back at Christmas
    BUT - A game like DDO needs to KEEP your Attention - It needs you playing Every day! - The longer you leave it between logging on the more likely you'll never log on again!

People trying other games aren't logging on to DDO!
    People waiting for the Enhancement Pass/Next Expansion or Update AREN'T LOGGING ON TO DDO!

When that comes out - They log back in to check things out, Maybe stay a week or two - then are gone again till the next update/expansion!
    DDO needs these people PLAYING!

There's always gonna be Attrition SO DDO also needs Marketing to get a constant stream of New Players!
    Marketing can NEVER stop!
    Because 75% at least of New Players vanish within a Month!

Older P2P Packs should be phased to F2P to keep New Players interested - When they hit Lvl 5 and all the groups are for P2P Packs - Tangleroot, STK, Sharn, Catacombs, Carnival, Necro 1, Delera's, 3 Barrel Cove! This puts them off continuing!

3 Barrel would be perfect to add as a Bonus to Buying Vet 1 / Earning 1000 Favour!
    Make it the Default starter Zone for Vet 1s and TRs {Yes - Allow TRs to start at Lvl 4 rather than Lvl 1!}

STK is the weakest Low Level Pack Loot Wise although since the changes Sharn Syndicate is also poor!
    Make these two Packs F2P!

Threnal - Needs A Full Rework
    As Does Restless Isles
    BOTH could be helped by making them F2P However in the meantime.
    You can always revert them to P2P after said Rework!
    And AFTER people have had a taster!

Now we have Eveningstar it might also be worth looking at making Carnival and Sentinels F2P!

And of course - There's the oft requested Epic Versions of:

Misery's Peak
    Redwillow's Ruins
    Gwylan's Stand
    Caverns of Korromar
    Stormcleave Outpost
    Xorian Cypher/Dreams of Insanity
    Tempest Spine
    Mired in Kobolds
    And Much Much More!

I personally feel that Redwillow's, Gwylan's, Korromar, Stormcleave and Tempest Spine would make a Fantastic Epic Pack for F2P!
    This is a fantastic idea. Really makes F2P more interesting.

I think it would also be good to change bravery bonusses a bit. Remove bravery bonus and increase the first time bonusses for each difficulty in its place. Then you can run quests on N/H/E once, regardless of the order you run them in and you can run them at higher level. Basically this is a revert to the old system with higher first time bonusses. This allows for a larger grouping range and is also better XP-wise for people that are just starting to learn the game.

Community Member

What? When I log in, there is no "nothing to do", I log in to play, so I play. It's that simple. Playing is your choice, only yours, not some other guy's LFM.

Soloing, shortman, hireling - all good options.

Wrong. Game would be dead if they didn't install dungeon scaling to cater soloists. DDO is a soloist friendly game in an MMO environment. Also, DDO is 7 years old, if you need more social aspects, more (a lot more) people around, you SHOULD play some "hot, new" games, where millions of players are hanging around. DDO is a "niche" game, but as one of those, is pretty unique as well.

That's true. I doubt that the recent staff could address this situation, if they proved anything in the last couple of months, it's the opposite. So yeah, more level to spread the lesser people = lesser group options if you are an LFM junkie. Luckily, they do more and more damage to the epic area, so if you like to play the game, heroic levels (and TR) is your playground there. Those quests are still fun to play, and getting 2-3 people for them is enough, and don't need much time to launch a quest.

Won't happen.

I just want to play.

Thelanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    http://ddoracle.com/Traffic.html

Ghallanda is kind of odd atm it's really spiked on the traffic reports. Now this is logins but still.
    That is really weird, anyone know why are so many people on Ghallanda now?
    Last edited by Ivan_Milic; 07-29-2013 at 06:34 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Older P2P Packs should be phased to F2P to keep New Players interested !
    Good idea in theory. But I cant see turbine giving away the store. I can see however a scenario where they could offer access to different packs on a trial basis.

Ever see a notice from your cable company that says "Free HBO for this Weekend!" Why not do something like that? Have the preview and offer a discount on that pack during the preview weekend. May get people buying some of the forgotten content.

I agree that a lot of the older content should be reworked. In conjunction with the rework and revamping, first and foremost what Needs, absolutely Needs to happen - I cannot stress this enough - The developers Need to take a long hard look at the random loot gen. The random/open loot tables have created a bunch of gear that drops which is significantly better than the gear that can be found in older raids.

If you are trying to generate content that has a repeatability factor, and that will keep people playing it as it ages, why have a loot system that precludes the need to run raids to get powerful items and weapons?

If you want people to stay - make it worth their while. Give them something to reach for. Updating older content and Making raiding viable again is a first step in that process.
    Last edited by Ddodoesitagain; 07-29-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ddodoesitagain View Post
    Ever see a notice from your cable company that says "Free HBO for this Weekend!" Why not do something like that? Have the preview and offer a discount on that pack during the preview weekend. May get people buying some of the forgotten content.
    Thats actually a really good idea.
    Real join date: Update 7

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Thelanis.

I think the updated browser lets you logon to Ghallanda the first time you use it... that would explain the increase

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    I think the updated browser lets you logon to Ghallanda the first time you use it... that would explain the increase
    Ah that would make sense fake logins. Ghallanda is first on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    Because we're all sexy beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    Just that?
    Then they should make wayfinder first

I for one would really like to see a server merger. About a year ago I started going into the 'who' panel and just did a generic search for all characters. During the week from about 9:00 am CST until 3:00 pm CST I would usually see about 500-700 characters. After 3pm through 9pm there would be around 700-1200. Starting earlier this year, around March, the population started to decline. Now it seems you can easily shave off 200-400 for each time period. When I logged in last weekend I could not see more than 500-600 during peak USA hours in the who list and it seems like it is slowing down even more.

I just don't see why merging servers would be a bad thing. I can solo, I can run with guildmates or I can post LFMs but I am lazy. I really enjoy logging in and see at least 1 if not 2 or more LFMs for my level range and just joining one. For some reason I love the PUG scene and the ease of using the LFM in DDO is in my opinion great, one of the features that really make this game fun for me.

As another poster above stated, bring on the population and I will gladly deal with the potential lag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast