Community Member

Post I need some input on asituation

I need everyone input on a situation I was in. I was running with a group in a quest to where the party had to spit up. Well what happen , the party was suppose to split one way but it ended up that all the weakest players went one way and the strongest went the other way. Well as it happened the weakest ones wiped out and the party decided to recall from the quest to start over. What happened that they blamed the party wipe on the weak characters even though the plan that everyone agreed to was not followed from the beginning. I can't understand why when players gather up to play as a group but don't, then they blame the weaker players for the group dying. What happened to "Strength in Numbers". I find this happening a lot in the past year. Also when I group with "TRs" it happens some too. I'm not blaming other people on my short comings as a player. I just wished that people would be a little more understanding about weaker players. I think the whole purpose of a group is to work as a team to get the job done. Am I wrong in believing this? I would like to get everyone input on this.

Community Member

Stuff happens. The leader made some false assumptions about relative toon strength, or more likely didn't give it any thought at all. Just chalk it up to experience and give a shout out next time you see it about to go down.

Sounds like a lack of leadership error to me. Take it as a life lesson and try to avert such problems in future. It's really just a game, after all.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

SOP with major Pug mentality, really.

Heavy sees which way other Heavy is going...
    --cant let Trog432 go off by itself and outscore him! oh HELLL2thaNo! Teamwork b damned!
    not with all those tasty mobs ripe for stealing.

haven't caught on? every Pug is race.
    • all those litta boyz want declare themselves important!
    • it makes up for their halfling-esque jocksize.

this is why you join good guild with great peops.
    EE everthing and enjoy life.

never... ever... pug.
    -or say hello 2 headaches.
    TKSK - Thelanis ("Best Server" -NyTimes).

I think it depends on the quest. If it were players splitting up in Information is Key and the guys doing the swim all died on their way to the lever, then I'd probably drop them too. If It were Epic Elite Tor, then deaths can happen, even to good players and blaming the players that died is poor form. I find it hard to take a side without having all the details of the situation.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Quote Originally Posted by Kull1966 View Post
    I would like to get everyone input on this.
    I can't give my honest opinion because I might get banned for it.

If you really need "everyone's" opinion then I suggest you take a deep breath... wait until you start school... and then come back and try playing again.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

There are a lot of quests in which a good group can split up and finish in a fraction of the time it would take the party to do it all together.

However...

That's in a good group. If the whole party steps in and then the leader says, "You and you, go over there, you and you, go over there, and me and him will go over here", there are a lot of players who will be reluctant to say they don't think they can duo a part on their own. With the resultant deaths and delays it would have been much faster for the group to just stay together.

If a party just blew through Running with the Devils on elite, and then the same party moves on to Let Sleeping Dust Lie, it would make sense to have everyone split up because you know they can handle it. That will more than likely work out fine.

If a random party just steps in to Sleeping Dust and the leader tells everyone to split up, it always irritates me when he then starts yelling at players for dying. Chances are, those players would have solo'd the quest if they could, but they know they can't, so they joined a group.

It all boils down to: With a good party, you can split up and do things faster. With an average party or an unknown party, it makes more sense (to me) to stick together.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Community Member

Honestly the answer is to politely drop group if you don't like how the leader is running it and post your own LFM for the same group with something in the notes about 'group will be sticking together'. Their group, their call, even if it isn't particularly friendly to the people they kicked.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Was it one of the necro 2 quests?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    ...It's really just a game, after all.
    Sacriledge! Heretic! Stop your lies!

DDO is a simulated world with thousands of little virtual people virtually depending on us for their virtual salvation. It is not a "game" and I virtually care virtually deeply for what virtually happens to those virtual people in the virtual DDO world. Honeslty I really deeply and virtually do! [My wife thinks it is just a game too but she does not understand the truth about these virtual things.]

Community Member

Well it is the fault of the weaker players....they were the weaker players after all. If it had been the stronger player's fault they wouldn't be stronger....

You should always accept responsibility for what you can control and do your best to fix it. Just because something is your fault doesn't mean you should be yelled at or berated because of it. If someone gives you a hard time or is a jerk about it just don't group with them.

In the meantime avoiding responsibility in order to avoid the ire of players that aren't worth your time is treating the symptom not the problem, and more importantly it obscures the real problem from your view.

Any time you have a bad outcome take an unrelenting look what you did wrong and how you can fix it - its very rare that there was literally nothing you could have done before or during the incident to help out. You'll find very quickly that not only do you improve by leaps and bounds but that you make friends with other people who appreciate both your level-headed approach and the skill you bring to the group.

Default what quest?

depends on what happened in the quest. was there an orange/red DA that caused the wipe? was it zerg? even though the group split, was there teamwork on the weaker side, like throwing a heal to someone who needed it or helping kill a mob ganged up on someone? how do you know they were weak? because they wiped? more details would help otherwise you will get generalized opinions.

I ran into something similar...

I joined a group for one of the necro 1 quests (the one where you have to split up into 2 groups... go figure) and without giving it much thought ran the same way as the guy I'd been running with earlier that day, because I knew he was running at about the same speed as me and wouldn't mind grabbing more than one group of mobs before cleaving.

The other 2 players though weren't prepared for the ride and ended up whiping, I 'fessed up and appoligized because I should've swapped places with one of the "weaker" players to get a smooth completion instead of two people doing their side, finishing the quest and coming back to pick up soulstones (wich we did at the end).
    -The mash on Argo
    In Soviet Russia Shroud trust in YOU!

I was running with a group in a quest to where the party had to spit up... the party was suppose to split one way but it ended up that the plan that everyone agreed to was not followed from the beginning.
    That's the problem right there in bold. As soon as people started heading the wrong (not agreed upon) way, somebody (ideally the PL) should've spoken up. When group 1 (the strongs) started blaming group 2 (the weaks), again somebody could've/should've spoken up and pointed out the anybody & everybody who didn't follow their assigned (and presumably agreed upon) direction is to blame, right along with whoever noticed the problem but did nothing to correct it.

Only advice I can offer is this: when you see something going wrong, speak up ASAP; ounce of prevention vs pound of cure & all that
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member

It is standard practice in most MMOs to blame the healer. Obviously if they kept everyone alive then everybody would not have died.

It is also valid to blame Canada since that works for just about everything and there is even a song about it.

I think the whole purpose of a group is to work as a team to get the job done. Am I wrong in believing this?
    Often for me the point of grouping in DDO is to either get the job done faster than I could solo it, or to have a social experience. If my only goal was to complete then I could just solo.

It's really the fun of PuGs, go into a dungeon with 5 others where you know a plan is normally required and keep your mouth shut when people just charge off. It's much more exciting for me than solo'ing and often like watching a disaster movie where you have no idea if the hero comes though or everyone dies at the end.

Many of my best PuG's have been where there was no plan, assumptions were made, folks died and instead of people quitting, we stuck to it, formed a plan, got co-ordinated and won through. They're really the best kind of victories, where 6 total strangers meet in chaos and end up working like a seasoned military squad.

Embrace the PuG, its randomness and folly! Bravely face death or snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Ride the PuG rollercoaster and have more fun than you ever will on the dead flat, boring, desert highway of constant success!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kawai View Post
    SOP with major Pug mentality, really.

Heavy sees which way other Heavy is going...
    --cant let Trog432 go off by itself and outscore him! oh HELLL2thaNo! Teamwork b damned!
    not with all those tasty mobs ripe for stealing.

haven't caught on? every Pug is race.
    • all those litta boyz want declare themselves important!
    • it makes up for their halfling-esque jocksize.

this is why you join good guild with great peops.
    EE everthing and enjoy life.

never... ever... pug.
    -or say hello 2 headaches.
    This is some real sound advice from a bitter player that would rather be insulated by a guild while grouping, that way theres never a challenge and you can just breeze the content.

Most of the time there are a couple of good players in these groups that zerg and carry the rest of the group through the quest now that's totally awesome game play right there I highly recommend it.
    /sarcasm off

Don't listen to this player theres plenty of fun to have while pugging, and you learn a lot more about the game and your community that way as well.