Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default From The Guy that Brought you put a Share Button on the Quest Entrance comes…

From The Guy that Brought you put a Share Button on the Quest Entrance comes…
    In idea for an XP BONUS, how about a Shrine Bonus if we don’t use the shrines in a quest or if we don’t use all of them… Let’s say the bonus is 20% to XP and the quest has 4 shrines (Bonus/Shrines), a member of the party use 1 then it would be a 15% bonus, use 2 it would be a 10% bonus.. This would be based on the maxim uses of a shrine by a party member… and yes I know it’s another way to get mad at the healer…

Quote Originally Posted by Double_O View Post
    In idea for an XP BONUS, how about a Shrine Bonus if we don’t use the shrines in a quest or if we don’t use all of them… Let’s say the bonus is 20% to XP and the quest has 4 shrines (Bonus/Shrines), a member of the party use 1 then it would be a 15% bonus, use 2 it would be a 10% bonus.. This would be based on the maxim uses of a shrine by a party member… and yes I know it’s another way to get mad at the healer…
    sounds cool but i see issues with this and pugging...another reason not to pug.

And I thought this was already in existence with the XP/Min Ratio

Shrines are a convenience, we can use them or skip them. I think it would be a bad idea to put XP associated with not using them. To me that is promoting Spell Point Potion drinking. That would really turn players sour.

Sorry, nice try but I don't think it is a good idea.

No and here is why. I could just see groups flipping out, not only over deaths anymore, but casters who would need to shrine. "OMG you used the shrine!!!! You're such a bad cleric!" I think it would lead to too many situations where a caster could be put in an awkward situation for using a shrine in a difficult quest, or LFMs that say, "No casters or else bring pots!" So...not signed. I do appreciate ideas for extra xp increases though and this was creative.

if it was a personal bonus rather than a party one this would be really popular with monks and barbs in general and fighters and rogues that dont know what action boosts are for. also for extreme zergers that invis past everything, which really cuts down on sp use.

Community Member

Thanks for the Negative feedback in a Positive Way.. it was just me and my Static ran a EE the other night and did it without using a shrine, and I just felt that we should have got a bonus for doing that….

Community Member

That would promote all-monk groupings, among other things.

Community Member

A problem I can see is the inequality between characters with respect to how much they need to shrine.

An example: my tempest ranger needed to shrine only rarely in heroic levels. Now that he is in fury of the wild, he needs to use primal scream and adrenaline to be most effective. he has to renew those clickies to continue being effective. So the guy who hardly ever rested before level 20 now uses almost every shrine. It isn't a sign of a bad toon, it just means that particular set of abilities needs regular renewal.

There are a few reasons why I don't like this idea.

1. It unfairly applies a bias against certain classes. Barbarians, fighters and monks maintain most of their power without shrining, especially at lower levels.

2. It applies more xp bonuses to low levels where skipping shrines is easy. A caster can just pull out an axe and swing through a quest if he has to at level 1. The relative difference between low level xp and high level xp increases again. I think we need to look for ways to apply xp bonuses equally across the board rather than to load up the low levels. Bravery bonus does the same thing. Maintaining an elite streak through low levels is much easier compared to high levels so the xp in low levels is increased at a greater rate than high level quests for anyone that drops their streak at any point, which is probably a large amount of players.

3. It encourages meta playing by using sp pots as proxy xp pots and also pushes players to "torq up" in quests instead of using a shrine. Torqing instead of shrining is lame in LoB and it would also be lame in every other quest.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

No thank you.

1. It unfairly benifits melee. My melee can do most quest without shrines since I don't need the spell point refil.

2. It encourages buying spell point potions from the store.

3. It will further discourage pugs and running with new players.
    /sigh

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default At least it is an idea

Better than no idea at all.

Turbine could use it as a carrot to BUY mana pots from the store. I still would not buy them though.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    sounds cool but i see issues with this and pugging...another reason not to pug.
    I'll second that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNameIwasntB4 View Post
    Turbine could use it as a carrot to BUY mana pots from the store. I still would not buy them though.
    Bingo, we have a winner.
    This is why this is going to happen.

Quomodo cecidisti de cælo, Lucifer, qui mane oriebaris. corruisti in terram, qui vulnerabas gentes.
    Qui dicebas in corde tuo: In cælum conscendam, super astra Dei exaltabo solium meum.

If it's implemented, it should be a bonus only for the not-shriners in the group. Essentially, my shrining will only affect my xp, so my shrining is my choice only and the party won't give me grief for it.

How about applying it to the ressurection shrine instead. That would give people a reason not to pick up soulstones and help the store sell res cakes.

Just kidding, maybe.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

With the XP curve for 2nd and 3rd life characters being lowered, I'm not convinced that we need any new in-quest bonusses for now.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

I think the idea punishes and discourages certain builds.

I do love the idea of a share option in quest entrance UI though.

Ideas for improving DDO are always a welcome sight.

lol well that pretty much kills the idea of having a mage or even a divine in group. The mage you could get away with but the divine not only effects whatever they feel like, it also effects pretty much anything that doesn't have full on self healing from start to end.

Because their is not a chance is snowy hell that someones gonna be chugging pots to heal someone else. What would happen is melee are gonna be cut from the picture that aren't cleric dili or are able to use serious/crit wands and scrolls/self magic heals.

But since all of mine can, go for it lol.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

There's a share button on the quest entrance UI?
    Forcin - Orien

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orratti View Post
    How about applying it to the ressurection shrine instead. That would give people a reason not to pick up soulstones and help the store sell res cakes.

Just kidding, maybe.
    No, I think it would be much more effective to just remove Ress Shrines completely from the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast