Community Member

Default Melee divine healer that doesn't suck in EE?

I've got a level 25 Cleric (THF, greatsword) at the moment. I enjoy healing groups, but I don't enjoy the pathetic DPS. The problem was that I maxed wis rather than str, but I'm not sure if that is the only problem.

Are Melee divines (say 18/2) viable in group EE? (2 Monk?Pal?Fighter?)

The main goal is to have fun, rather than feel like an endless grind that takes forever due to low DPS.

(Other toons at the moment are a shiradi wiz, jugg that I am getting up to 25)

Quote Originally Posted by Octarino View Post
    I've got a level 25 Cleric (THF, greatsword) at the moment. I enjoy healing groups, but I don't enjoy the pathetic DPS. The problem was that I maxed wis rather than str, but I'm not sure if that is the only problem.

Are Melee divines (say 18/2) viable in group EE? (2 Monk?Pal?Fighter?)

The main goal is to have fun, rather than feel like an endless grind that takes forever due to low DPS.

(Other toons at the moment are a shiradi wiz, jugg that I am getting up to 25)
    Maxing wisdom on a melee build was likely a mistake, strength naturally would be a better bet, and a decent charisma score for more turn undead uses is always handy for the bursts. The 18/2 build will get you a couple of extra feats to make it easier to get PA/cleave/great cleave then overwhelming criticals while keeping enough for empower healing & quicken spell as IMO the bare minimum of metamagics for a melee divine, probably maximise too for the bursts.

Destiny choice makes a big difference for damage dealing capability in epics too - working round to dreadnaught or fury of the wild would be your best bet, and naturally due to the large damage spikes in EE cramming as much defensive capability as you can manage is a good idea too... concealment, incorporeal & PRR.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

I had went with half-orc, so unbuffed str was about 30. Going 17/2/1 (cleric/monk/fighter) I could probably do the THF feats, cleave etc, going for maybe 40-42 unbuffed str (and not including str from Destiny). SP is not so great though.

I already have +5 wis tome, also have +5 str upgrade in the bank, so I could hit about 42 str unbuffed (with 8 enhance + 2 exceptional from items).

I have Leg Dreadnaught maxed at the moment and the DPS doubled, but the toon was too squishy vs in Sentinel.

Currently only have 10% blur and no incorporeal, 24 prr and 54 ac (all unbuffed, flawless black, with greatsword) in LD. Probably explains the squishiness.
    Last edited by Octarino; 06-26-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Embrace the pathetic DPS.

I gave my Wisdom-based clonk a pair of energy-draining daggers and run him in FoTW. With those weapons his dreadful DPS really doesn't matter. Still can contribute while keeping people alive and DOESN'T REQUIRE A ZILLION PAST-LIVES AND UBBER-GEAR to be useful.

Teh_Troll has a point trying to up your DPS is not always the best course of action to be useful, there is always the need for setting mobs up to be killed.

A couple ways to do that:

1. Look towards weapons with secondary effects that can reduce saves, damage output, AC, fortification, Sneak Attack preparing, etc. These work on TO-HIT and don't matter if you do 0 damage.

2. Consider the Feat Precision at it will help reduce the enemies Fortification by 25%

3. Sneak Attack

I personally turn to using a Maltroit Weapon to lower Dexterity and in doing so can let off a commit fall now and again and knock them prone. I also found Strength sapping types to also help melee land trips and constitution draining landing stuns or insta-kills.

Of course you may not be a kill count leader going this route but you will be far from useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Teh_Troll has a point trying to up your DPS is not always the best course of action to be useful, there is always the need for setting mobs up to be killed.

A couple ways to do that:

1. Look towards weapons with secondary effects that can reduce saves, damage output, AC, fortification, Sneak Attack preparing, etc. These work on TO-HIT and don't matter if you do 0 damage.

2. Consider the Feat Precision at it will help reduce the enemies Fortification by 25%

3. Sneak Attack

I personally turn to using a Maltroit Weapon to lower Dexterity and in doing so can let off a commit fall now and again and knock them prone. I also found Strength sapping types to also help melee land trips and constitution draining landing stuns or insta-kills.

Of course you may not be a kill count leader going this route but you will be far from useless.
    Stat-damagers don't do anything in EH/EE.

Level-draining weapons are awesome. Overwhelming Force disables stuff with no save. TWFing recharges adrenalines fast enough as long as your group isn't full of tards that require constant healing.

You're right about secondary affects . . . in handwrap-mode my clonk's first-number is probably half that of a "real" monk but all the following numbers are the same. It get's pretty decent when you pile on enough stuff.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Embrace the pathetic DPS.

I gave my Wisdom-based clonk a pair of energy-draining daggers and run him in FoTW. With those weapons his dreadful DPS really doesn't matter. Still can contribute while keeping people alive and DOESN'T REQUIRE A ZILLION PAST-LIVES AND UBBER-GEAR to be useful.
    Interesting.
    You mean like the sacrificial daggers?

Do you have a link to describe the build??