Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Dragontouched Armor dead?

I remember farming a "perfect" DT Outfit and getting to run it for a few lives. Back when rocking pajamas was cool. Then dragonscale got an upgrade and it just rocketed past DT. Easier to acquire (no random gems, run 3 quests, run a long quest, unlock option to get armor, grind runes, grind, runes, grind runes, etc.), lower level, and in most cases better.
    Lets look at the best defensive Robe (still no dragonscale outfit), the

White Dragon Scale Robe VS DT Robe
    Armor Bonus +8 Armor Bonus +6
    30 Cold Resist Heavy Fort or 30 Cold Resist
    +5 Deflection +5 Deflection
    +4 Shield +3% Dodge or +4 Insight or +4 Natural Armor
    Heavy Fort Level 16
    Level 14

So 2 more AC (unless you go with 3% Dodge), 1 additional ability, and two levels lower.

Blue VS DT Robe
    Armor Bonus +8 Armor Bonus +6
    30 Lightning Resist 30 Lightning Resist
    Spell Pen 7 Spell Pen 8
    Potency +52 Potency +56 or +84 Single Spell Power
    Greater Arcane Lore Level 16
    Level 14

So better Spell Pen, better Potency, still no Greater Arcane Lore, 2 AC less, and 2 levels lower.

Oh and pretty much no DT combo is close to the Black Dragon Scale robe.

Sure the DT armor has some great guards, that are now found on random loot.

So what do other people think?

Non of my guildies use this stuff except for one person and that is it, the rest of us can not be bothered to run these quests which are a frickin' nightmare imho. Every time I go to Reavers (explorer and rares hunting) there is never anybody in it.

Stoner81.

This is tough...

At one point farming for Dragon Scales was difficult as you could run TOR and come out with 1 of each or nothing. The drop rate of the Unbound scales has been changed practically guaranteeing an easier farm of these items.

Additionally Dragon Scale armor has been updated from their previous versions.

The only advantage of the Dragon Touch Armor is in it's customization with the drawback that the components needed to build them are so random that many give up trying. It helped a bit with splitting and combining as well as first tier purchases.

But unless you have a lot to work with making a "perfect" one might be difficult. But if you lack scales and have DT materials it can be an upgrade from random loot.

all my characters still wear DT armor. 3 of 4 of my characters have disintegration and corrosive salt guard. i don't know if the proc chance was boosted or not, but it seems the guards are proccing more than they used to. i love DT armor and wish devs would do something to make them wanted armor again, but my melees will be using black dragonscale armors and red Cormyrian armors when i finish getting everything i need to make them.

Community Member

. ran it on 1 toon, which was my monk just to get the 20/10 HA dragon touch and I dont see a point in doing it again.

honestly probably wouldn't have been even half as popular even when it came out if it werent the only source (besides GS weapons and randomgen bracers/armor) to get healing amp. and if GS had handwraps, I doubt it would've been ran at all except to get the 3rd set peice for some of the items from vale side raids.

They make pretty nice docents (for arti dogs).

Also, you can get some useful threat effects (for tanky types) without the claw set.

I know a couple monk players that have decent sets of DT outfits that wear them instead of dragonscale robes. This is an aesthetic choice mostly (and not done in serious raids or really hard quests).

I like Fearsome on all ranged characters. On her first life my main (ranger) crafted what I consider perfect DT Leather Armor: Fearsome, Wizardry VI, Radiance Guard. Well, perfect for levels 16-20. She already has ML 21 Fearsome-something and ML 23 Whisperchain waiting in the bank. And I certainly will not go through same grind for any other character.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

time commitment vs. reward = Dragonscale usually > DT armor.

Nice combos for a few levels and as mentioned, nice for Arti dog. I still use one on a toon, just because I haven't finished a Dragonscale armor on it but will use the DT only for TRing for a couple levels.

If you have the time and enjoy running Reaver Refuge quests then it's a no brainer, have fun. But for a lot of people, it certainly isn't the most efficient armor to get vs. value.

If the devs would make it less random or boosted the DT, it would invigorate that area. I don't think they have the staff for it at this time though. I always feel sad when certain raids or quest chains become obsolete based on obsoleted gear. People still run those quests for xp though, so by proxy you could get a decent set of DT armor for a few levels. Although! No one hardly ever runs the final quest.

3 things that could make it better imho:

1. Make the runes not so random(make barter menus: 3 for 1, etc.-not like the random 3 for 1 crunch). OR
    2. Boost the power on the armors. OR
    3. Make the runes unbound like in the great bag swap halcyon days of yore!
    Last edited by Sonos; 09-16-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Community Member

For the most part, yup, it's dead.

I still have HAmp Vestments on my Monk and on my Ranger (Back when everyone just used outfits). But for the most part Reaver's Refuge is primarily about the Favour for me.

I actually like the story line in Reavers Reach and thought the quest were well done.

I got my perfect set of Dragontouched Armor on my fighter/tank back before we knew what each token was. According to DDOviewer (when it still worked) I had over 300 runs of Prey on the Hunter on my fighter. I got my perfect Dragon touch on my Barb and rogue a bit later.

I do think it is a shame they are as good as they once were. I have worn them a bit when TRing from level 16 to maybe 20 depending on the character. Just too many better options now, many at a lower level requirement then Dragontouched.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

For me the answer is different: After three years of running it as often as I could stand I just finally got my perfect sovereign rune (ooze). After three years of running tor as often as I can stand, I still have never had any type of dragon scale armor on any of my 20 characters... Though I do hope to change that on one of my druids eventually.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Dragon touch is dead primarily because of the requirement of constant re-flagging, let alone the lottery system that was originally in place.

The one thing they did correct. Create robes and outfit rather than only "one" of the two.

Iconics ~ start at level 15
    DT armor ~ min level 16

Fawngate has 5 pairs of this armor, she is considering tossing one out,
    a duplicate heavy armor, leaving her with 1 decent pair of each type.

I have a few specific sets I use. Mostly w/ a good T3 effect or guard.

I have one that is Healing Amp / Healing Amp / Earthen Guard I still use on one of my WF for when I find myself needing to be more defensive and kept up better by someone else. It lives on a hotbar, but is rarely used behind other options.

I do have some disintegration, salt and enervation guard sets on a few folks.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    I actually like the story line in Reavers Reach and thought the quest were well done.

I got my perfect set of Dragontouched Armor on my fighter/tank back before we knew what each token was. According to DDOviewer (when it still worked) I had over 300 runs of Prey on the Hunter on my fighter. I got my perfect Dragon touch on my Barb and rogue a bit later.

I do think it is a shame they are as good as they once were. I have worn them a bit when TRing from level 16 to maybe 20 depending on the character. Just too many better options now, many at a lower level requirement then Dragontouched.

I love the Reaver's Reach storyline. If they would just nix the flagging mechanic for every run, and either nix the gems or make them semi-usable items it would be great. IIRC the AC and PRR for the dragontouched stuff still needs a boost for those that actually care about AC in heroic levels.

Both dragonscale or Madness chain armors are easier to get and seem more worthwhile.

Cool

I remember I spent a hella time there 3-2 years ago by farming exp, gems and DT stuff and I made few cool pieces. Thanks to that, I learned how to run those quests and I was always willing to teach others when they needed a leader or a puzzle solver, just for fun. As said, since the GH armor update I resigned to wear anything else although I did really like the old days wearing DT armor on my cleric, bard and barb. My friend also still wears one but mainly because he cannot access GH yet as f2p.
    But I like to come back to RR and run it few times on its level - although Enter the kobold is sometimes hell

Among the nice abilities found on DT, there is 10%/20% HA (hard to get at level) and +6 eCha skills (for umd obviously, can be obtained through GS but this requires a tier 3 shard).
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Non of my guildies use this stuff except for one person and that is it, the rest of us can not be bothered to run these quests which are a frickin' nightmare imho. Every time I go to Reavers (explorer and rares hunting) there is never anybody in it.

Stoner81.
    Enter the Kobold and Prey are easy, calling them a Nightmare is laughable.
    Zaphear(Completionist), Lugziurious, Lugzmeat Shield, Lugzii, Lugziii, Lugzsing Measong - De Profundis

Quote Originally Posted by zaphear View Post
    Enter the Kobold and Prey are easy, calling them a Nightmare is laughable.
    End boss on kobold gives me trouble on anything harder than normal. I think monastery and prey are easy. I actually like prey.

Prey is a unique quest in my opinion. You are being chased/racing through a dungeon and have to slow down your pursuers/commpetitors as much as you can in order to get to the end and defeat the oncoming tide. You have a choice to do it fast or to kill as you go. Then you are faced with a choice to fight a tough (not difficult, just tough) boss and get extra rewards. The chase/race make it pretty unique, the choice of how to run and complete it make it fun, I like quests like that. Storming the beaches is similar in that you can do it in an extremely fast zerg through the underwater entrance or you can do a frontal assault and spend a glorious hour or so slaughtering everything in there. Quests that offer that choice are the best ones.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 09-17-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

I am a huge DT fan. Or was pre-Frozen Tunic, but I still keep a set for swapping.

Last life I finally got my 'perfect' DT robes:
    -10 HAMP /20 HAMP / Smiting

It took hundreds of crunches. I had about 6 lives worth of Eldritch runes from Monastery (I always ransack Monastery; solo puzzling on normal with Sannyasi chasing is fun/terrifying) / ETK Farms in an ingredients bag, so I finally actually did SoS to flag for the crafting machines and crunched out 30 or so sovereigns last life. The very last sovereign attempt I had, after the third cycle of crunching the crunched runes, gave up the smiting rune (which is the only offensive DT effect that works on ranged).

I was genuinely beginning to believe it had been taken out of the game since I'd never seen one drop for anyone and have 1 copy of every other sovereign rune.

Having said all of that, I doubt I'd bother actually grinding out runes for the sake of DT. It's more of an incidental bonus lottery ticket if you're xp farming there anyway.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast