Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default Is Dragontouched Armor dead?

    I remember farming a "perfect" DT Outfit and getting to run it for a few lives. Back when rocking pajamas was cool. Then dragonscale got an upgrade and it just rocketed past DT. Easier to acquire (no random gems, run 3 quests, run a long quest, unlock option to get armor, grind runes, grind, runes, grind runes, etc.), lower level, and in most cases better.
    Lets look at the best defensive Robe (still no dragonscale outfit), the

    White Dragon Scale Robe VS DT Robe
    Armor Bonus +8 Armor Bonus +6
    30 Cold Resist Heavy Fort or 30 Cold Resist
    +5 Deflection +5 Deflection
    +4 Shield +3% Dodge or +4 Insight or +4 Natural Armor
    Heavy Fort Level 16
    Level 14

    So 2 more AC (unless you go with 3% Dodge), 1 additional ability, and two levels lower.

    Blue VS DT Robe
    Armor Bonus +8 Armor Bonus +6
    30 Lightning Resist 30 Lightning Resist
    Spell Pen 7 Spell Pen 8
    Potency +52 Potency +56 or +84 Single Spell Power
    Greater Arcane Lore Level 16
    Level 14

    So better Spell Pen, better Potency, still no Greater Arcane Lore, 2 AC less, and 2 levels lower.

    Oh and pretty much no DT combo is close to the Black Dragon Scale robe.

    Sure the DT armor has some great guards, that are now found on random loot.

    So what do other people think?

  2. #2
    Community Member Stoner81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,020

    Default

    Non of my guildies use this stuff except for one person and that is it, the rest of us can not be bothered to run these quests which are a frickin' nightmare imho. Every time I go to Reavers (explorer and rares hunting) there is never anybody in it.

    Stoner81.

  3. #3
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,124

    Default

    This is tough...

    At one point farming for Dragon Scales was difficult as you could run TOR and come out with 1 of each or nothing. The drop rate of the Unbound scales has been changed practically guaranteeing an easier farm of these items.

    Additionally Dragon Scale armor has been updated from their previous versions.

    The only advantage of the Dragon Touch Armor is in it's customization with the drawback that the components needed to build them are so random that many give up trying. It helped a bit with splitting and combining as well as first tier purchases.

    But unless you have a lot to work with making a "perfect" one might be difficult. But if you lack scales and have DT materials it can be an upgrade from random loot.

  4. #4
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,415

    Default

    all my characters still wear DT armor. 3 of 4 of my characters have disintegration and corrosive salt guard. i don't know if the proc chance was boosted or not, but it seems the guards are proccing more than they used to. i love DT armor and wish devs would do something to make them wanted armor again, but my melees will be using black dragonscale armors and red Cormyrian armors when i finish getting everything i need to make them.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Non of my guildies use this stuff except for one person and that is it, the rest of us can not be bothered to run these quests which are a frickin' nightmare imho. Every time I go to Reavers (explorer and rares hunting) there is never anybody in it.

    Stoner81.
    Enter the Kobold and Prey are easy, calling them a Nightmare is laughable.
    Zaphear(Completionist), Lugziurious, Lugzmeat Shield, Lugzii, Lugziii, Lugzsing Measong - De Profundis

  6. #6
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaphear View Post
    Enter the Kobold and Prey are easy, calling them a Nightmare is laughable.
    End boss on kobold gives me trouble on anything harder than normal. I think monastery and prey are easy. I actually like prey.

    Prey is a unique quest in my opinion. You are being chased/racing through a dungeon and have to slow down your pursuers/commpetitors as much as you can in order to get to the end and defeat the oncoming tide. You have a choice to do it fast or to kill as you go. Then you are faced with a choice to fight a tough (not difficult, just tough) boss and get extra rewards. The chase/race make it pretty unique, the choice of how to run and complete it make it fun, I like quests like that. Storming the beaches is similar in that you can do it in an extremely fast zerg through the underwater entrance or you can do a frontal assault and spend a glorious hour or so slaughtering everything in there. Quests that offer that choice are the best ones.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 09-17-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  7. #7
    Community Member Deathdefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    I am a huge DT fan. Or was pre-Frozen Tunic, but I still keep a set for swapping.

    Last life I finally got my 'perfect' DT robes:
    -10 HAMP /20 HAMP / Smiting

    It took hundreds of crunches. I had about 6 lives worth of Eldritch runes from Monastery (I always ransack Monastery; solo puzzling on normal with Sannyasi chasing is fun/terrifying) / ETK Farms in an ingredients bag, so I finally actually did SoS to flag for the crafting machines and crunched out 30 or so sovereigns last life. The very last sovereign attempt I had, after the third cycle of crunching the crunched runes, gave up the smiting rune (which is the only offensive DT effect that works on ranged).

    I was genuinely beginning to believe it had been taken out of the game since I'd never seen one drop for anyone and have 1 copy of every other sovereign rune.

    Having said all of that, I doubt I'd bother actually grinding out runes for the sake of DT. It's more of an incidental bonus lottery ticket if you're xp farming there anyway.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

  8. #8
    Community Member brian14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    I am a huge DT fan. Or was pre-Frozen Tunic, but I still keep a set for swapping.

    Last life I finally got my 'perfect' DT robes:
    -10 HAMP /20 HAMP / Smiting
    You spend all your time in Cannith Manufactury?
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

    "Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

  9. #9
    Community Member Satyriasys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,125

    Default

    It is still possible to make good dt armor for heroics. It can be a nice way to consolidate otherwise hard to slot stats. but they are in serious need of an overhaul. Their are so many redundant, obsolete and just worthless runes.
    Join Date: Nov 2009

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    End boss on kobold gives me trouble on anything harder than normal. I think monastery and prey are easy. I actually like prey.

    Prey is a unique quest in my opinion. You are being chased/racing through a dungeon and have to slow down your pursuers/commpetitors as much as you can in order to get to the end and defeat the oncoming tide. You have a choice to do it fast or to kill as you go. Then you are faced with a choice to fight a tough (not difficult, just tough) boss and get extra rewards. The chase/race make it pretty unique, the choice of how to run and complete it make it fun, I like quests like that. Storming the beaches is similar in that you can do it in an extremely fast zerg through the underwater entrance or you can do a frontal assault and spend a glorious hour or so slaughtering everything in there. Quests that offer that choice are the best ones.
    Lol you stop feeling that way after about the 50th run and no closer to getting the rune you really want.

  12. #12
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Lol you stop feeling that way after about the 50th run and no closer to getting the rune you really want.
    Actually I have about 400 prey runs and still like it. I've been running it for three years and its not gotten old yet, for me. I have been known to run it just for fun even when I don't need any runes.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 09-17-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  13. #13
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    7,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaphear View Post
    Enter the Kobold and Prey are easy, calling them a Nightmare is laughable.


  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    . ran it on 1 toon, which was my monk just to get the 20/10 HA dragon touch and I dont see a point in doing it again.

    honestly probably wouldn't have been even half as popular even when it came out if it werent the only source (besides GS weapons and randomgen bracers/armor) to get healing amp. and if GS had handwraps, I doubt it would've been ran at all except to get the 3rd set peice for some of the items from vale side raids.

  15. #15
    Community Member eachna_gislin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    706

    Default

    They make pretty nice docents (for arti dogs).

    Also, you can get some useful threat effects (for tanky types) without the claw set.

    I know a couple monk players that have decent sets of DT outfits that wear them instead of dragonscale robes. This is an aesthetic choice mostly (and not done in serious raids or really hard quests).

  16. #16
    Community Member brian14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,362

    Default

    I like Fearsome on all ranged characters. On her first life my main (ranger) crafted what I consider perfect DT Leather Armor: Fearsome, Wizardry VI, Radiance Guard. Well, perfect for levels 16-20. She already has ML 21 Fearsome-something and ML 23 Whisperchain waiting in the bank. And I certainly will not go through same grind for any other character.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

    "Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

  17. #17
    Hatchery Hero Sonos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,473

    Default

    time commitment vs. reward = Dragonscale usually > DT armor.

    Nice combos for a few levels and as mentioned, nice for Arti dog. I still use one on a toon, just because I haven't finished a Dragonscale armor on it but will use the DT only for TRing for a couple levels.

    If you have the time and enjoy running Reaver Refuge quests then it's a no brainer, have fun. But for a lot of people, it certainly isn't the most efficient armor to get vs. value.

    If the devs would make it less random or boosted the DT, it would invigorate that area. I don't think they have the staff for it at this time though. I always feel sad when certain raids or quest chains become obsolete based on obsoleted gear. People still run those quests for xp though, so by proxy you could get a decent set of DT armor for a few levels. Although! No one hardly ever runs the final quest.

    3 things that could make it better imho:

    1. Make the runes not so random(make barter menus: 3 for 1, etc.-not like the random 3 for 1 crunch). OR
    2. Boost the power on the armors. OR
    3. Make the runes unbound like in the great bag swap halcyon days of yore!
    Last edited by Sonos; 09-16-2013 at 02:31 PM.

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364

    Default

    For the most part, yup, it's dead.

    I still have HAmp Vestments on my Monk and on my Ranger (Back when everyone just used outfits). But for the most part Reaver's Refuge is primarily about the Favour for me.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gljosh View Post
    I remember farming a "perfect" DT Outfit and getting to run it for a few lives. Back when rocking pajamas was cool. Then dragonscale got an upgrade and it just rocketed past DT. Easier to acquire (no random gems, run 3 quests, run a long quest, unlock option to get armor, grind runes, grind, runes, grind runes, etc.), lower level, and in most cases better.
    Lets look at the best defensive Robe (still no dragonscale outfit), the

    White Dragon Scale Robe VS DT Robe
    Armor Bonus +8 Armor Bonus +6
    30 Cold Resist Heavy Fort or 30 Cold Resist
    +5 Deflection +5 Deflection
    +4 Shield +3% Dodge or +4 Insight or +4 Natural Armor
    Heavy Fort Level 16
    Level 14

    So 2 more AC (unless you go with 3% Dodge), 1 additional ability, and two levels lower.

    Blue VS DT Robe
    Armor Bonus +8 Armor Bonus +6
    30 Lightning Resist 30 Lightning Resist
    Spell Pen 7 Spell Pen 8
    Potency +52 Potency +56 or +84 Single Spell Power
    Greater Arcane Lore Level 16
    Level 14

    So better Spell Pen, better Potency, still no Greater Arcane Lore, 2 AC less, and 2 levels lower.

    Oh and pretty much no DT combo is close to the Black Dragon Scale robe.

    Sure the DT armor has some great guards, that are now found on random loot.

    So what do other people think?
    DT is customizable. If you grab a piece of loot by chance and you didn't have that planned, you can change the armor to make it fit and have no effects repeated/ have to pass from an item you wanted cause it doesnt fit you're whole gear.


    ----

    And, as said above, Prey is such a well done quest !
    Last edited by harry-pancreas; 11-04-2013 at 01:48 PM.

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    On Ghallanda one might bump onto an Elf Ranger with white hair in DT Shroud or Vestments.
    His bio says that he's a Tempest III
    Underneath he recently added a line about him trying to adjust back to the game after a very long absence

    My shroud has Greater False Life, Air Guard, and Crushing Wave Guard - this is what i (used to) use in quests - do you think it's good?
    My vestments +1exceptional STR, +3exc. CHA skills, and Melodic Guard - i wear this when selling to vendors, cause i get no benefit from +STR and CHA skills at quests

    Suffering from packratisasis and having forgotten so many things about the game - which has changed a lot in the meantime - I'm trying to sort-out my inventory and bank-space. There are some strange "stuff" in my bank , some of which i suspet are for flagging for the final quest in that chain (weren't there 3 stones you had to have?)

    It's sad to see that some pretty good equipment i had back then has now become less potent in comparison to new stuff - for example i substituted a named item looted from a raid with a randomly generated one that i bought from the AH (i actually put the new item on a new slot and switched some gear around)


    [oh, my head floods with questions]



    Quote Originally Posted by harry-pancreas View Post
    DT is customizable. If you grab a piece of loot by chance and you didn't have that planned, you can change the armor to make it fit and have no effects repeated/ have to pass from an item you wanted cause it doesnt fit you're whole gear.
    Afaik, you cannot choose which effects to put on your DT, so how can you easily customize it (without grinding)?
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload