Default Splash Screen is a little deceiving.

When loading the game you get the splash screen for the new expansion. The ad for the expansion lists several bonuses you get for purchasing early which are, the Bladeforged Iconic, Owlbear hireling, Tressym companion, and much more. So, I purchased the regular expansion pack "early" thinking that because the loading screen lists those items as bonuses for early purchase, I will get them immediately in game once I put the purchased code in. So after logging in and checking the bonus items, there was no Owlbear hireling. So I contacted support through the website and was told that I needed to buy the Owlbear separately.

I looked back at the loading screen for the game and yup, it says Owlbear hireling among the other things so I called phone support to see if they could help. After a few minutes on the phone talking to someone I was basically told the same thing, that I needed to get the owlbear as a separate purchase, even though I explained that the loading screen that advertises the expansion says otherwise. Have a look for yourself, would you not be under the impression that by pre-purchasing the expansion you would get the items listed? Here is the link:
    I look forward to the day where toons can be a Were-Pig.

There are different editions. I did get an Owlbear with my pre-purchase.

The pre-purchase website that you went to (http://www.ddo.com/en/shadowfell/) spells out exactly what is included with each edition. There is even a handy comparison chart. It says plainly that the Owlbear is only included in the Collector's Edition. It's the buyer's responsibility to know what they are buying. An ad like the one you posted can't possibly describe all the details you need to know, that's why you need to pay attention to them.

I think it would be a good gesture if Turbine allowed you to pay the difference and upgrade to the Collector's Edition. Or equivalently, allow you to return the Standard Edition for a refund, so you could then buy the Collector's Edition. Have you asked them if you could get a refund?

Also, if I could transfer my Owlbear to you, I would! It's not exactly a powerhouse even with the minor upgrades it got in the latest patch.

I wouldn't say it's a "little deceiving" I would say that the splash screen is pretty much a lie of omission.

Now having said that if you read the ddo.com.shadowfell site it does fairly clearly state that the Tawny owlbear only comes with the Collector's addition.

If they wanted to be very honest they should only have included things on the splash screen that are common to both options.

Sadly they do have their bases covered there though so I don't think there is anything you can do to get the owlbear. If I am reading it right you can't even get it later, basically you had to either add it on at the time you bought the standard X-pac OR bought the collectors pack.

Once you check out it's done for ya.

I get what you are saying, and I saw the purchase screen with a million choices but figured that, because I am purchasing early, and that the loading screen advertises those specific items, I would get them as a bonus instead of having to purchase them separately. I am really just upset that the loading screen states that you get those items when in fact you don't. And when I spoke to someone about it, they just brushed me off. They could add a disclaimer or something so other people don't make the same mistake.
    I look forward to the day where toons can be a Were-Pig.

Community Member

Default Clutching at straws...

That just called not being a savvy consumer unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, Turbine does A LOT wrong, and often the information on their FAQ's for these expansions are void of all the information we really need til we beat them out of it. Can't tell you how many times i've seen this interaction.

"Player: Shouldnt this info be on the FAQ?"

"Dev: You are right! I will fix that right away"

Only this happens about 5 times until you go "huh, why in the world would basically EVERYTHING have been missing originally?"

But yeah, I'm sorry to say in this case you are barking up the wrong tree. At the bottom of that little picture you have, and not even in small text, it says "Pre purchase now at ddo.com/shadowfell"

Know what happens when you go to that link? You get taken to a page with a really SIMPLE to understand BREAK DOWN of the different packages. I'm sorry you got so caught up in advertisement joy that you forgot to do anything a reasonable consumer would do. Which is to read the plethora of fine print at every section of purchasing this thing. The code you entered alone has a run down of everything that will be appearing in your account.

You had ample time to realize your error. Sounds like customer support had a hilarious patch of phone calls today. It's fights like these with customer service that make them take on the attitude of "interrogator" before they actually do anything.

Half the time, it's the players own faults and assumptions that caused the error. However, the other half of the time is certainly is Turbines own fault.

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

I find the original poster's assumptions very reasonable, I might well have made the same mistake. At a minimum I would have expected good customer service to be polite, courteous, and at least express an apology or regret for any misunderstanding - that's just good business.

In fact early descriptions of the pre-purchase options on the web site were incorrect or misleading and differed from the market versions which themselves were corrected quickly and more accurate.

I am a believer that putting the hireling in the upgrade for so much extra $$$ was a shameless money grab in the first place and sad that they charged so much extra for it.

I also noticed the splash screen for extra DDO bonus points, could not locate that anywhere else on the forums, and the splash screen said good through June 24th. At 11PM on June 24th I looked, and the bonus offer was not present in-game. Good thing, too, I really can't afford it right now, removes the temptation.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    I find the original poster's assumptions very reasonable, I might well have made the same mistake.
    I agree, and whats more it would be easy to not notice that the "owl bear" you get in the standard pre purchase isn't the owl bear advertized on the splash screen.

I did exactly that myself I'm not into "companions" and my logical side assumed that the last little extra squeeze (the legendary upgrade) would be 100% fluff stuff. So I failed to notice that I was getting the companion and not the hirelings.

I also called and they offered me the option to buy the legendary upgrade. So if it matters enough to you you can still get it.

Me, I will read future advertizements and comparisons closer, fool me once...
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 06-25-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    ...Me, I will read future advertizements and comparisons closer, fool me once...
    No way is this your fault. What is disturbing to me is that a paying customer wants a virtual creature that costs almost nothing to create and they waste time telling you no instead of just adding the creature. How long can they keep doing things like that?

I agree, and whats more it would be easy to not notice that the "owl bear" you get in the standard pre purchase isn't the owl bear advertized on the splash screen.

I did exactly that myself I'm not into "companions" and my logical side assumed that the last little extra squeeze (the legendary upgrade) would be 100% fluff stuff. So I failed to notice that I was getting the companion and not the hirelings.
    I can see someone new to DDO making that mistake.

Frankly, the whole concept of the Legendary Upgrade leaves a bad taste in my mouth, along with the fact you don't see the *hefty* price of the upgrade until you check out.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wurmwood View Post
    Have a look for yourself, would you not be under the impression that by pre-purchasing the expansion you would get the items listed?
    Yes, if I weren't an adult with an awareness of "advertising", "fine print", and the phrase caveat emptor.

It's fair to say Turbine should've been a little clearer, but that's been the case as long as I've been playing. And that so many people pre-ordered the expansion sight-unseen, with the barest of details about the content of the actual expansion, makes it difficult to be sympathetic.

Last year there were months of players confused and whiny about what was or was not included in MOTU or the various preorder perks, all because they didn't read carefully.
    Last edited by FrancisP.Fancypants; 06-26-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    Yes, if I weren't an adult with an awareness of "advertising", "fine print", and the phrase caveat emptor.

It's fair to say Turbine should've been a little clearer, but that's been the case as long as I've been playing. And that so many people pre-ordered the expansion sight-unseen, with the barest of details about the content of the actual expansion, makes it difficult to be sympathetic.

Last year there were months of players confused and whiny about what was or was not included in MOTU or the various preorder perks, all because they didn't read carefully.
    Well unfortunately not everyone is the model of perfection I found their splash screen to be deceptive, it clearly implies that you get all those things when you pre-order and the fact that there's a million and one different things in the game and two different types of owl bears offered, it's not unreasonable to miss the distinction, going with the splash screen's version of what you get.

The truth is that I've not been "had" by a poorly done or deceptive ad in decades, I consider myself beyond grizzled as a consumer. The one time I slip up and get careless in recent memory; well I just think they did a pretty good job of unintentionally obfuscating the fact that the hirelings are only available in the "legendary upgrade" and not in the pre-order as the splash screen clearly implies. Anyway I personally did not care enough to raise a big stink and ruin the day of the pretty sounding account support person I was talking to. I shrugged it off, but none the less my principles are offended and IMO they should remove "owl bear hireling" from that list of things you get with the pre-order on the slash screen, and replace that line with: "Cute and useless Tawney Owl bear companion" which is what you ACTUALLY get with a pre-order.

Anyway thanks for being mature and "Adult" and all and not implying that anyone who read that and didn't catch it in time is childish. Not sure what I'd do without reading something like that 10 to 20 times a day on a forum full of 25-40 year olds.
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 06-26-2013 at 01:16 AM.

@OP Bummer you didn't get what you thought you were getting.

In your defence, it looks like you didn't see the table of "what you get with which options" when deciding which option to buy.

Or maybe you didn't look at what each option came with, and just bought one without looking at it...

Better luck next time.
    AUREON/ KEEPER 2006-2009 | CANNITH 2010 -
    Anaplian, Csimian, Tengram, Hackworth, Memenah, Helekye, Nabberfleish
    Brotherhood of the Wolf

Community Member

Well unfortunately not everyone is the model of perfection I found their splash screen to be deceptive, it clearly implies that you get all those things when you pre-order and the fact that there's a million and one different things in the game and two different types of owl bears offered, it's not unreasonable to miss the distinction, going with the splash screen's version of what you get.

The truth is that I've not been "had" by a poorly done or deceptive ad in decades, I consider myself beyond grizzled as a consumer. The one time I slip up and get careless in recent memory; well I just think they did a pretty good job of unintentionally obfuscating the fact that the hirelings are only available in the "legendary upgrade" and not in the pre-order as the splash screen clearly implies. Anyway I personally did not care enough to raise a big stink and ruin the day of the pretty sounding account support person I was talking to. I shrugged it off, but none the less my principles are offended and IMO they should remove "owl bear hireling" from that list of things you get with the pre-order on the slash screen, and replace that line with: "Cute and useless Tawney Owl bear companion" which is what you ACTUALLY get with a pre-order.

Anyway thanks for being mature and "Adult" and all and not implying that anyone who read that and didn't catch it in time is childish. Not sure what I'd do without reading something like that 10 to 20 times a day on a forum full of 25-40 year olds.
    To be fair, no one is really taking person responsibility for their part in the errors. Indeed most of what is in this thread are insinuation and presumptions that Turbine is carefully devising a marketing plot to deceive as many people as possible.

A call for more clarity and more "fool" proof advertising maybe is in order. But making them out to be a corrupt Mafia is stretching it.

The way I see, the more exaggerated you go in one direction the more exaggerated your responses will be. Talk like there's an evil masterminding company out to get you, and you'll get condescending adults telling you to be more responsible.

Perhaps it wasn't right for him to say he is an "adult" and everyone else is acting like children, but really, throwing a bit of a tantrum and insisting people were out to "get you" is equally as childish. The fact still remains, in the Splash Ad that pops up for a few seconds during loading that is, at best, 10 lines of text, it doesn't give you ALL the information and EVERYTHING you get, and I'm sure people were eager for more than the 3 highlighted things promise, before the highlight "And so much more!"

Practically all the places you have to go next to actually PURCHASE this expansion has a lot of directions and lists of what exactly you are getting. In fact, it's handled almost exactly like last years MOTU with its "edition comparisons" so if you were bitter about that last year, you should have been even extra prepared for how this year worked.

Unless you chose to click blindly for a good FEW pages and then do all your research and phone calls AFTER breaking out the credit card/info/cash, there really shouldn't be much issue.

Maybe Turbine could've done more for flawless advertising listing A BUNCH of info in tiny text for a QUICK ADVERTISEMENT! If it was an Ad you passed by in the car on a billboard, you wouldn't have NEARLY enough time to read everything you would get for this "expansion". Sometimes, a company reasonably expects people to do their research, Especially when in those adds they point out there is "much more" and include a link to a TABLE of comparisons for their product.

But certainly many of the people complaining of Buyers Remorse over "not clear enough directions" had a fair share in fault for skipping past every opportunity to learn of their error, or not even taking the time to read the long receipt you get for this downloadable purchase. I keep all my paper records for the off chance a company IS a little corrupt or disorganized and trys to swindle me some extra cash. And I don't say that to be better than anyone, it's just an example of taking extra care...something that's just plain smart and responsible to do with things.
    Last edited by QuickSlick79; 06-26-2013 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Silly typo's and incorrect punctuation.

Community Member

Initially, I was looking forward to the owlbear hireling. But, just like I did with MotU, I read through the page that compared both of the pre-purchase options. Then I noticed the part at the bottom about the legendary upgrade, and saw that this was actually the route to the new permanent hireling.

I would have liked to have it, and the extra skill tomes would have been nice, too, but the deal for the collector's edition at $50 was already a much less attractive purchase than MotU had been (I didn't already have several of the legacy adventure packs that were included in that one).

Ultimately, I ended up being a little disappointed in this pre-purchase compared to MotU. The only benefit that applies to all toons on every server is the +2 skill tome. MotU gave a lesser xp tome (1 greater/server), and the panther hireling, plus about six adventure packs. The epic xp tome could at least have been for each toon instead of only one per server. Even the cosmetic stuff is only given to one toon per server, and that's stuff I wouldn't want even for a minimal amount of Turbine points.

I don't regret the purchase. I haven't had a lot of resources to put into the game, so I don't mind contributing at times. But I do hope they try to model future pre-purchases to be more like MotU than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSlick79 View Post
    A call for more clarity and more "fool" proof advertising maybe is in order. But making them out to be a corrupt Mafia is stretching it.

The way I see, the more exaggerated you go in one direction the more exaggerated your responses will be. Talk like there's an evil masterminding company out to get you, and you'll get condescending adults telling you to be more responsible.

Perhaps it wasn't right for him to say he is an "adult" and everyone else is acting like children, but really, throwing a bit of a tantrum and insisting people were out to "get you" is equally as childish.
    What in the world did you read? LOL seriously you're a might bit guilty of practicing the exaggeration you're preaching against my friend:

What you said: no one is really taking person responsibility
    What I said: The one time I slip up and get careless in recent memory
    What you said: making them out to be a corrupt Mafia
    What I said: well I just think they did a pretty good job of unintentionally obfuscating
    What you said: but really, throwing a bit of a tantrum and insisting people were out to "get you"
    What I said: Anyway I personally did not care enough to raise a big stink and ruin the day of the pretty sounding account support person I was talking to. I shrugged it off.

What you said: the more exaggerated you go in one direction the more exaggerated your responses will be
    What the thread is named: Splash Screen is a little deceiving.

It seems to me that you are the only one exaggerating anything

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

The OP is right. The splash screen is deceiving, and Turbine ought to be ashamed. Normally you'd at least see an asterisk to warn you that some further investigation was required.

Luckily, I read over all of the options, saw how much they wanted for everything ($100 for what we used to get in an update plus some cosmetics? Really!?), and laughed out loud. However, that has no bearing on the OP's point - it's shoddy and misleading advertising.

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.