Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Question regarding Challenges and U19..

Knockknockknock Steelstar! Knockknockknock Steelstar! Knockknockknock Steelstar!
    I remember a few months back that you were involved in the challenge rebalance, and I had a question on them and how U19 will affect them...

Will the challenges CR be adjusted to accomodate the higher cap, or the overlevel penalties change; to allow those players that enjoy, and desire these items a means to acquire them in the future?
    When U14 was released, everyone was quite bummed that the overlevel penalties meant that their Level 25 characters got massive Overlevel penalties getting materials. With the cap raising to 28, will the house C challenges have their max CR raised from 25 to 30 like the Eveningstar challenges or to CR 28 the new cap?

With the release of Iconics, a player that wishes to get challenge ingredients can at least roll a toon to farm some, but the House C Epic mats will not be in any convenient range.

It was awesome when the rewards turn-ins were expanded with the additional 11 pages of consumables to provide lasting value for players (especially premium players that paid the highest price in TP for a single pack of content), it will be sad if there is no way to extract that value because the level range is too narrow.

Thanks for your attention on this!

No one else is interested or curious about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    I stopped running challenges, and trusting the devs / community officials to fix them after the double xp nerf, combined with the failed promise of XP being increased.

Interested...Yes.
    Surprised there is no response...No.
    Basically Iconics can farm your Cannith mats and you will not have to dedicate one toon to farm FR mats.

Community Member

With the release of Iconics, a player that wishes to get challenge ingredients can at least roll a toon to farm some, but the House C Epic mats will not be in any convenient range.
    No, only those with access to iconics or a spare character slot can do that. That's a work-around at best for those who've purchased iconics and spare character slot, on top of the Cannith Challenges pack.

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Interested...Yes.
    Surprised there is no response...No.
    Basically Iconics can farm your Cannith mats and you will not have to dedicate one toon to farm FR mats.
    Again, I have to wonder at these sorts of comments. We should not have to pay more later to continue getting the same value out of something we have already paid for. At this point I'm pretty convinced that half the stuff posted on this forum is by Turbine employees pretending to be punters, in order to advance the official 'narrative' of what the latest acceptable 'trends' in the game should be. I should be able to access all of the Cannith Challenge pack at any level, without any additional expenditure.

Cool

As of now, the level cap for these Challenges is not planned to be raised for Update 19.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    combined with the failed promise of XP being increased.
    As for this, I'll refer you to the following post:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...e2#post4886004

Thank you!

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by steelstar View Post
    as of now, the level cap for these challenges is not planned to be raised for update 19.
    gz

Nope. Cannith Challenges are a forgettable aspect of the game; they just aren't worth the experience for time investment, and getting the items from them are simple enough by pausing your TR grind for an hour or two at 15 for regular-tier or 20 for epic-tier. If you're 25-28, just get any items you desire on your next TR pass-through.
    Forcin - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    As of now, the level cap for these Challenges is not planned to be raised for Update 19.

When are you planning to fix the Double scaling that the challenges suffer from?

More people = More mobs
    More People = Tougher mobs

This results in the challenges getting exponentially harder the more people there are in them, discouraging people from teaming to do them.

A while back one of the Dev's (I forget who), posted that this was not Working as Intended. So, can we get an ETA on a fix?
    Main Forum Account Status: Being Fixed!

Thank you!
    did you read the feedback you got regarding the xp in that thread?

The challenges are still abysmal, the "boost" you did after the double nerf, feels like nothing but a slap in the face.

*edit* While I do appreciate some of the work and the discussions you've had with us since then, I do still feel very let down by how challenges have been handled.
    Last edited by fTdOmen; 06-26-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Thank you!
    Aren't the star xp just once per character? After the first run, the challenges gives next to nothing, and that is the problem.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ensis View Post
    Nope. Cannith Challenges are a forgettable aspect of the game; they just aren't worth the experience for time investment, and getting the items from them are simple enough by pausing your TR grind for an hour or two at 15 for regular-tier or 20 for epic-tier. If you're 25-28, just get any items you desire on your next TR pass-through.
    I have to disagree here. Cannith challenges are some of the best XP quests in the game on first time completion with 6 stars. And running them gives you at the same time ingredients that can be converted to 5% xp pots, among other things. Just some examples:

Time is money CR20 (easily 6 starred even with random pugs) : 15000 XP
    Colossal crystals CR20 4 stars (3 stars are easy, 4 stars are doable with good party): 26000 XP
    Labor shortage CR20 6 stars: 30000 XP

The rest of extraplanar palace are great xp too, in the range of 20-30k.
    Rushmore gives usually more than 30k, but it takes more time than the rest (25-30 min).

If you do all challenges when you hit level 18, you don't need many more quests to cap.
    You get only one chance to grab this xp though, as failing to max star a challenge reduces your xp greatly and doesnt give it to you the second time you repeat it. That's the difference between challenges and normal quests. While in normal quests everyone gets more or less the same xp (only completion times can differ), in challenges you can get GREAT xp as far as you know the challenge well. If you know what you're doing, it's definitely worth to run them, if not then better not bother. Sadly, very few people realize this and are willing to learn them, so this xp is usually wasted (personally, i know only 2 people who can be relied upon for doing challenges and, when we happen to coincide at levels 18-20, capping is done in half the time).

Community Member

As for this [regarding the assertion that Challenge XP has not been addressed since the double nerf], I'll refer you to the following post:

Thank you!
    Steelstar, you are disappoint, but do not surprise.

You may think you have closed the issue, but the players continue to bring it up because they do not perceive that it has been equitably resolved.

Until you change the perception that Challenge XP stinks, it will continue to be seen as stinky.

If they ever returned the XP, it would only in-turn lead to another nerf a week later, resulting in a triple nerf of the XP. House C was a total failure
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Thank you!

Challenge XP still sucks after the first time. The second time you do a challenge, you might as well go to slayers on korthos with your capped character for all the xp you get.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milrich View Post
    I have to disagree here. Cannith challenges are some of the best XP quests in the game on first time completion with 6 stars.
    Until turbine changes them to be good (or even average) experience on second+ completions, I urge everyone to use the free tokens and NOT buy the pack.

The equipment is nice... but like all equipment, as time goes by it will be passed by new gear. The first time run xp isn't horrid (hard to find a group, but it isn't horrid), but you can get that for free with daily tokens. The ongoing value is the equipment and repeat xp. When evaluated under that perspective, the cost benefit ratio is one of the worst in the game.

That is a shame, because I actually like running the challenges.

Thank you!
    While we always appreciate any communication, the mere fact that you responded in that thread does not mean that the challenges are worth running for XP.

If one does not need to farm an item or maybe tokens of the twelve, there is no point in running the Cannith challenges--and the items and tokens are most certainly not worth the cost of the pack.
    Heatherx Rgr12/Arti6/Rog2 (PL: 3 Wiz; 1 FvS; 2 Sor; 1 Clr; 1 Arti; 1 Rog)
    Toryen Warchanter 22 ~ Treslyn Cleric 24 ~ Lohikaerme Druid 23 ~ Khenshii Monk 20

Heroes of Light and Darkness ~ Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrad View Post
    Aren't the star xp just once per character? After the first run, the challenges gives next to nothing, and that is the problem.
    I'd like to know if this is still true too. I know that one of my multiple complaints about the House C Challenges was that the Star XP was only achievable once then you were stuck with the bad base XP. The Devs kept pointing to how great the XP was for a full star run the one time, but ignored the central point that the XP is horrible on multiple runs (especially since they sold the Challenges as something to be run multiple times over multiple levels).

As an aside, a similar concern that was either ignored or brushed aside when the base XP for The House of Rusted Blades was nerfed but the optional XP got boosted. Optional XP degrades every time it is done, so with many quests the optional XP can degrade more quickly than the base quest if you fail the quest. (This isn't really a problem with Rusted Blades though.) However, there's still a question on whether the optional XP continues to degrade when you are capped or not, since repeat penalties are suppose to stop. I don't remember anyone giving a definitive answer as to whether the repeat penalty continues with the optional XP or if it's stopped also.

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    However, there's still a question on whether the optional XP continues to degrade when you are capped or not, since repeat penalties are suppose to stop. I don't remember anyone giving a definitive answer as to whether the repeat penalty continues with the optional XP or if it's stopped also.
    Optional repeat penalties are locked in the same way as quest repeat penalties. I can confirm this, as can anyone else who has ever destiny farmed VON3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast