Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Shadowfell Conspiracy

Information on the forth coming second expansion to Dungeons & Dragons Online: The Shadowfell Conspiracy Summer 2013.

Collector's Edition - $49.99
    Standard Edition - $29.99
    Shadowfell Conspiracy Legendary Upgrade - $39.99

Last day of Pre-Sales of the Expansion Pack is August 19th.
    I read that to indicate launch of the Expansion is August 20th, 2013

Zones
    • Wheloon - FR Wiki - Level 16
      Currently this wilderness are is listed as coming soon in your Adventure Compendium
      Horrors from the Shadowfell pour into Wheloon, a prison city full of irredeemable criminals and traitors to the Crown. In this place, Netherese agents conspire to forge an army out of the Kingdom’s enemies. Masquerade as a traitor to infiltrate the Prison City, fight marauding criminal gangs, and destroy the army before it marches – all the while battling creatures made out of the very shadows.
    • Stormhorn Mountians - FR Wiki - Level 25+
      Deep in the Stormhorn Mountains, the Netherese Empire prepares to unleash its secret weapon against the Kingdom of Cormyr. Brave treacherous mountain passes through griffon territory and overcome cunning harpy ambushes. At the peaks of the mighty Stormhorns, overcome an alliance of giants and monstrous creatures – only to have to contend with a terrible Netherese secret weapon.

Game Play
    • Level Cap Increase to level 28
      Master your destiny and gain new epic feats and spells with three new Epic levels of advancement that let you reach new levels of power.
    • Forgotten Realms born characters Iconic Heroes (level 15) with Forgotten Realms Racial and Class Abilites
      Jump into the action of DDO with these new prestige characters that start in Forgotten Realms at level 15 and feature unique looks and skills. Each of these classic D&D heroes is a paragon of their race and class and features custom iconic gear, appearance options and new abilities to enhance their power.
      Purple Dragon Knight - Human Fighter
      Morning Lord - Elf Cleric
      Shadar-Kai - Fey Rogue

According to the Developers Diary "Yeah you'll be able to move between Eberron and Forgotten Realms, like going to your bookshelf and deciding which campaign you want your PnP character to play in that night" Ben Schneider

New Monsters
    • Dracolich
    • Griffons
    • Harpies
    • Lizardmen
    • Satyr

Quotes
    • Erik Boyer Happy Birthday DDO As I have always said, one of the strengths of DDO is great adventures to undertake and that is why I am most pleased to announce DDO’s second expansion titled ‘Shadowfell Conspiracy’ coming this summer! We are turning our attention back to the Forgotten Realms and we are taking you to some new regions in Cormyr. We will be taking brave heroes, level 15 and up, to a foreboding prison city to the south east of Eveningstar called Wheloon, and high up into the Stormhorn Mountains, north of the high road.

Links
    Last edited by GoldyGopher; 07-02-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: New Information

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

You create a character that *starts* at level 15?

Yikes.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy View Post
    You create a character that *starts* at level 15?
    Yikes.
    If you buy Iconic Heroes, I imagine.
    Makes sense, given the current level-jumps we have already, plus the XP Stones.

I find it more interesting that these characters seem to be slated to be "born" in the Forgotten Realms. I find that a little sad, because it seems like Turbine is dead set on marginalizing Eberron and this is a big step in that direction*.

*opinion only.

Community Member

I've always liked FR better than Eb anyway Im pumped...more lvl 15ish content is AWESOME! Main reason I hate TRing is that range (15-20) is such a DRAG! Fun the first couple of dozen times through but..meh!!

How much will this one cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I find it more interesting that these characters seem to be slated to be "born" in the Forgotten Realms. I find that a little sad, because it seems like Turbine is dead set on marginalizing Eberron and this is a big step in that direction.
    Well, the way I see it is WotC is probably footing at least some of the bill for the FR expansions. They are attempting to revitalize the brand through several media. It's far cheaper to partner with Turbine than start a new gaming company. I would not find it beyond the realm of possibility that WotC is looking to acquire DDO outright if Turbine can show at least satisfactory profitability with the new content. They have far smaller ROI demands than WB. Such a move would be good for everyone as WB really only bought Turbine for the LotR properties.(*)

(*)Like you, just my opinion.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Well, the way I see it is WotC is probably footing at least some of the bill for the FR expansions. They are attempting to revitalize the brand through several media. It's far cheaper to partner with Turbine than start a new gaming company. I would not find it beyond the realm of possibility that WotC is looking to acquire DDO outright if Turbine can show at least satisfactory profitability with the new content. They have far smaller ROI demands than WB. Such a move would be good for everyone as WB really only bought Turbine for the LotR properties.(*)

(*)Like you, just my opinion.
    SOmehow I doubt WOTC is footing part of the bill, and am leaning towards realizing they can earn licensing fees to broker out to a bigger audience and letting Turbine do the work. I do agree you on Warners interest though, but would like to see supporting evidence for the interest in acquiring ddo you speak of.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

nm...followed the link...

I'm disappointed in this choice by Turbine. The Eberron flavor (and more importantly the lack of the very overdone storyline/characters from traditional settings) was something I really liked about this game.

But then I'm the type of DM that makes up my own setting instead of taking the easy way out *shrugs*

Oh, and I'll give another victory to Chai for this one as they once again call an Update an Expansion to suck money out of VIPs in violation of at least the concept of what a VIP is, if not the letter of the law.
    Last edited by Gkar; 02-26-2013 at 11:32 AM.

I'm curious if we'll get update 18 and possibly 19 before this, since i saw "summer 2013" in there i think. Probably only 18, as that's about three months away or so, and then it would be "summer", so unless 19 is an appetizer to the expansion, i don't think it will be before it.

Personally i'm not a huge fan of FR, pretty generic all around, i prefer Eberron, but that's just personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Oh, and I'll give another victory to Chai of this one
    Please don't, he doesn't need the ego boost.

I truly wish they would take an update or two off and stabilize this game some, but alas.

Quote Originally Posted by tfangel View Post
    I'm curious if we'll get update 18 and possibly 19 before this, since i saw "summer 2013" in there i think. Probably only 18, as that's about three months away or so, and then it would be "summer", so unless 19 is an appetizer to the expansion, i don't think it will be before it.

Personally i'm not a huge fan of FR, pretty generic all around, i prefer Eberron, but that's just personal preference.
    Summer Officially runs from June 21st to September 21st in 2013. I expect that the expansion will be more towards the end of summer than the beginning. As such there almost seven months from today to the end of Summer.

There are a number of possibilities upon the release date and number of release; IMHO many of which revolve around the Enhancment Pass.

"If" the Enhancement Pass is included in Update 18 then expect for there to be only Update 18 before the release of the second expansion. On the other hand if the Enhancement pass is not linked to Update 18 but Update 19 then i would assume we get two updates before the expansion.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Quote Originally Posted by GoldyGopher View Post
    On the other hand if the Enhancement pass is not linked to Update 18 but Update 19 then i would assume we get two updates before the expansion.
    Or, they do like they did before and the expansion becomes Update 19, just like the last expansion was Update 14.

So we are getting Stormhorn mountains, it was pretty obvious I guess...I wonder about how the FR race and class abilities will impact the game. Maybe drow and elves will be viable again?

I agree this feels more like a big update than an expansion...they just threw in +3 level cap and Iconic Heroes but it doesn't look anything like MotU. Hopefully it won't cost that much too.

Starting at 15 for 1st life shouldn't be that bad I suppose...they had to expand into FR and this was probably the only way of starting a toon there, since no way they'd introduce low level FR content. Still somehow it doesn't feel right, I wonder how will it be for a newbie to start at 15 :/
    Cannith - Juzam, Water Savant II Ranger 6 Monk 2 AA/ Orocarn, Stalwart Defender III Monk 2 / Taigongwanng, Sorc TRing - Guardiani di Eberron

If you buy Iconic Heroes, I imagine.
    Makes sense, given the current level-jumps we have already, plus the XP Stones.

I find it more interesting that these characters seem to be slated to be "born" in the Forgotten Realms. I find that a little sad, because it seems like Turbine is dead set on marginalizing Eberron and this is a big step in that direction*.

*opinion only.
    Ok, going with that assumption...

...so let's say I accept the notion that as a VIP you have to pay for "expansion packs", just for the sake of argument.

Now DDO comes along, starts expanding FR, and leaves Eberron dying on the vine.

So...uh...what's my VIP membersip good for again?
    Last edited by squishwizzy; 02-26-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Quote Originally Posted by NytCrawlr View Post
    Or, they do like they did before and the expansion becomes Update 19, just like the last expansion was Update 14.
    I totally expect the expansion will be called an Update...
    The question is it Update 19 or update 20. For a number of reason i believe it will be Update 20, but that is just guess work at the moment.

MotU was NOT Update 14. Update 14 coincided with MotU. MotU was three adventure packs, challenges, epic destinies, druid and a few other small things here and there.

Update 14 was the updated UI, AC changes, gameplay mechanics changes, and the stuff that affected everyone.

In other words...Update 14 was the thing that everyone got, whether they paid for the expansion or not. MotU was the actual Forgotten Realms content (the quests, challenges, destinies and druid.)
    Cevon - Nature's Arrow (17 Dru/2 Mnk/1 Wiz HE AA), Shorlong - Pale Master (18 Wiz/2 Monk)
    Gorgnak - Frenzied Barbarian, Krazig - Dark Knight Paladin
    Xanapheia - Fighting Soul (18 FvS/2 Ftr), Addanc - Bearbarian Tank (12 Dru/6 Ftr/2 Brb)
    Thelanis - Leader of The Dark Creed

Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy View Post
    So...uh...what's my VIP membersip good for again?
    Not as much as it used to be.

nm...followed the link...

I'm disappointed in this choice by Turbine. The Eberron flavor (and more importantly the lack of the very overdone storyline/characters from traditional settings) was something I really liked about this game.

But then I'm the type of DM that makes up my own setting instead of taking the easy way out *shrugs*
    Yeap Im the same way.

Player: Where on the FR map is this town we are starting from?
    Me (DM): What kind of knowledge check would you like to make to see if you know that info?

Oh, and I'll give another victory to Chai for this one as they once again call an Update an Expansion to suck money out of VIPs in violation of at least the concept of what a VIP is, if not the letter of the law.

Yeap, change the definition or change the word. Its easier to change the word in order to define what this new release of content is, and then justify that by calling it an "expansion" instead of "update" means all bets are off as to sticking to traditional long established precedent. Remember when they used to be called "MODs" and they changed to "updates"?

I kind of figured they would go with where the lore is though, as it draws people in who are familiar with that fictional universe. The huge mistake that was made there is that a 20+ year old setting that is 3 editions old is still the most popular fiction lore setting in the first place.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Not as much as it used to be.
    Yeah, I'm getting that.

Actually, it'll be far less as I'll dump this game altogether. Because, it make zero sense to be a VIP. And there is no way in blue blazes that I'll pay more money to be premium seeing that I've "invested" in VIP already, and it was a dead-end.

Quote Originally Posted by FZTopaz View Post
    MotU was NOT Update 14. Update 14 coincided with MotU. MotU was three adventure packs, challenges, epic destinies, druid and a few other small things here and there.
    How do you like picking nits...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast