Community Member

Default What is your favorite Ioun Stone for TRing?

I've been running some melee lives (and plan to run a few more) and I finally got around to making an Ioun Stone. I decided on the Pale Lavender because the spell absorption seems handy for all classes. But it got me wondering if the +6 stat ones are really worth tracking down too.

So I have to figure that the Vibrant Purple is very popular for casters, but what about melees? +6 strength at lvl 5 instead of lvl 9 that big of a deal? Which ones do you guys shoot for with TRing?

For melee with stunning blow or other str based tactics the +6 comes in handy.

+6 Con one is essentially useless for those low levels.
    PLIS as you mentioned is excellent from level 5-25(28).

Pretty much it for melees but having a melee alacrity 10% is even nicer imho.

I love having +6 WIS on monks for the Stunning Fist DC and the extra AC - is actually quite useful at the lower levels.
    Khyber, Leader of Elite Empire: Veryunique - Wiz20/Epic8 (PM, PL: Clr,Fvs), Skullcrshr - Pal20/Epic8 (PL: Barb, Ftrx2),
    Elsir - Brd12/Ftr4/Rog2/Epic7 (Swash, PL: Rgr,Mnk,Rog,Art,Drd,Clr), TheMadness - Sorc 14 (PL: Sorc, Wiz, Clr)

Pale Lavender Ioun Stone <- Useful all the way to Level 25 - Spell Absorption 50 Charges
    Violet Purple Ioun Stone <- Arch Magi (200 Spell Points) and Spell Penetration IX
    Dark Blue Ioun Stone <- +15 Spot/Listen

Spell absorption of the PLIS is powerful at low levels and high levels if used correctly it can prevent a lot of spell damage.

VPIS is powerful to any class that has spell points, access to Arch Magi nearly 10 levels before it is available in any other form.

DBIS adds to your ability to see/hear sneaky creatures and also DM text in quests such as Wizard King that can give you some for warning. A +15 spot item is generally not available until level 15 (13 Race Restricted) and having both spot and listen is a bonus.

Of all the attribute stones; Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Chr and Con - only Con is the least useful (not useless just not as useful as the others). This is mainly because at 5th level it does not provide a lot of HP over the other options and as you level up there are so many Constitution Item Choices

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalDad View Post
    I love having +6 WIS on monks for the Stunning Fist DC and the extra AC - is actually quite useful at the lower levels.
    ^--- this. I forgot about this one because I use a madness ring for early stunning fist(WIS).

Community Member

Whew, and here I thought I was done running Dreaming Dark for a while. Oh well, at least I've gotten good at it.

Thanks for all of the advice so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Quote Originally Posted by kmankowski View Post
    Whew, and here I thought I was done running Dreaming Dark for a while. Oh well, at least I've gotten good at it.

Thanks for all of the advice so far.
    I remember when the Ioun Stone / 3 completion thing first came out... I think we farmed that quest something like 39 times before we both had a base PLIS. Then... very next life one got pulled in the waterworks.

PLIS STR ARCHMAGI and spellcasting stat are the ones I tend to use most of (INT if trapping... DEX if Opening...).
    Even started using the Mantle instead of the Voice for XP purposes... because sometimes changing the trinket can be tricky... or laggy in the case of CHA.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

I made pretty much a full set of the stones. Usually I use the one that matches my character's primary stat (int, str, wis, etc.)
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

Plis.

Community Member

I like the INT stone myself. I prefer to splash traps anytime it makes sense, and breathing room at lower levels as far as gear is concerned is a boon.

I like the pale green ioun stone the most

40hp and 5% xp is a nice step up from the voice.