Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

I love explorer areas, I get excited whenever I level a char up to a level that corresponds to an adventure zone.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of replayability of AZs, once you exhaust the "low hanging fruit" slayers. I'm with those who say that you should get the same, flat-rate XP for killing a mob, every time you kill a mob, no incrementation at all...yes, kinda like other games where you get XP for kills and not quests.

I'd like the option for open-ended gameplay, the immediacy of the reward - it means you don't need to invest 15-30 mins even on a shorter quest for a tangible XP benefit. You can spend as little or as long as you like, AFKing if something distracts you, mindlessly slaughtering and with the XP steadily coming in, and never "run out" of XP, even if the XP/minute isn't competitive with the quest options at your level.

Its not like monsters respawn, where you'd have a problem with setting your hireling and pet on hostile and AFKing overnight or anything.

New to the ddo store!!!!!! explorer area upgrades........................

Community Member

Would be nice to see some rares in the explorers with unique drops at high levels as per the sands, back in the day sands explorers were great when the Bloodstone was the best in spot trinket for many melee and there were other sort after items out there such as Firestorm Greaves.

How about this take random spawning Astral Panthers for example:
    Kill one drop into inventory BTC or BTA Astral Panther Hide.
    Cash in Hides in eveningstar for Astral gloves, boots or cloak.
    Stats and abilities on items could be semi random, 2 piece and 3 piece set bonus.

And I'm all for a bump in xp in some explorer areas, also would like to see more mobs in places like the Kings Forest when running through there solo, there just arent enough of them.

There seems so much that Turbine could add to really make explorer areas shine, but they seem hesitant to do so.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

I think improving Explorer areas is a great idea honestly. At the very least, the curve at the higher end of the slayer counts needs to be addressed. I'm sure SOME people do it, but I'm not motivated to sit there and hunt 200, 350, or 750 more monsters just to reach that next goal post that offers so little experience for the time doing it. And it certainly does NOT motivate me to buy Slayer Bonuses from the DDO store, because even with one of those I still see killing that many monsters an inefficient use of my time.

At least breaking the Slayer counts up into an interval of: 10 -> 25 -> 50 -> 100 -> 200 -> 300 -> 400.... etc .... 1500 would be nice. Even if you kept the Experience gained after all is said and done the same but distributed it more evenly across every goal post, I would be okay with that too.

There's doable, there's rewarding, and then there's daunting. And I often feel that "Slay 750 more enemies that are sparsely spread throughout this annoying to navigate wilderness area" fits into the "**** this! I'm out!" category.

Community Member

Thumbs up

i agree with this. explorer areas were only fun for me as a new player.

And no player has disagreed that a bump in XP is indeed needed and would probably be the easiest way to make everyone happy with the least amount of dev effort.

While the number of total kills that equate to XP can be made friendlier, if the XP was high enough, i would still grind out the top ones. One upside to this is you can use XP pots more easily. Do 2-3 explorer areas and almost reach cap then take a pot and then get the bonus from all 3. Currently, i wouldn't do this but if the XP was 'worth it', why not.

I would love to see more slayer XP offered, especially in lower level explorer areas. I never make any attempt to do slayers or find explorers until Gianthold and the Orchard. And in Gianthold, once you hit 750 kills in each, it really isn't worth the time to keep going. In the Orchard, it's a little better from farming the caravan and the rats, but after 3000 there's no reward until 5000.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Community Member

I agree with the OP on this. I only run/ran explorer areas the first time I had access to them when I was a newer player and then that was about it. The XP isn't worth the time for the most part and could be better achieved questing.

The only exception to this was Orchard for my taps for Minos (I run that every character 1st life then farm caravan/rats a bit on TRs) and sands for some named items.

It would seem that if there were some ultra rare drops (they don't even have to be uber gear like the bloodstone used to be) but at least decent gear for that level or maybe flavor gear) then more people would run them again. Though I stopped running sands because it was too rare. After a few hundred chest openings for bloodstone never saw one or grieves. I know it's just bad luck for me, but put me off. Though I have a TR due at that level so may run some more.

It's just a shame because some of the explorer areas are quite large and some details has gone into them, but it is wasted. I used to run King's forest when it first came out, but not so much any more. The commendations certainly get you nice gear for the level, but you can just as easily get them from quests that give much better XP.

Gear draws people. That's why people run most quests. Especially if the grind to get said gear does not deter too much from gaining XP to level. If it will deter then the gear has to be worth it. If you look at what areas people still run it mostly has to do with gear and ability to get XP reasonably quick (rats/caravan). Look at searing heights. No gear. Mobs spread out. One quest inside, but a much higher level one. No reason to run the area. I had to go look up the name of the area on WIKI, but when I first started playing and first came on it the idea of a giant area like that seemed cool until I got nothing out of it.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

The only problem I have with them currently is the huge gaps in numbers needed to get any XP after a certain amoiunt of slayer has been reached.

The monsters manuals have helps somewhat, but I still get this sense that I can spend all day slaying and get almost no XP for it...

One area I do no tmind so much is the Orchard.
    This is bacause I always need tapestries for my alts... and now I might also get sigil, shield or tome pieces....

I wouldn't mind a change to the loot that allows certain quest items to drop in explorer chests too.

Vale especially needs the "other" ingrediants to drop in the explorer area.

Devil Battlefield (because I cannot spells Shavarath... lol) needs to haver boot ingreidinats drop as a minimum....
    (on a side note: the drop rate of rings in TOD really needs to be upped....)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix21 View Post
    I was driven to this when I spent 4 hours yesterday exploring the entire under dark (not schinndlryn), and was just saddened that up until yesterday i had never set foot there as there is simply no point in ever going there. While many areas seemed bland and stale and overly large, I did enjoy being in the frightening under dark, and just wish there was more of a reason to stay there.
    I think the best DDO moment I ever had was when 6 of us with absolutely no clue got lost in the underdark for 2 1/2 hours trying to find the drow city. It was AWESOME, pure D&D-ish style dungeon crawl.

Community Member

XP is nice but gear is the thing. The orchard is one of your most popular areas because it has 3 item turn in possibilities with tapestries, shield fragments and tome pages. This assures you will get some good stuff from every chest you collect.

I think the High Road was a well done explorer area. Mob rare encounters are frequent and the area isn't too big to be overwhelming.

Random dragon encounters in GH were a nice addition.

I think they are on the right track with explorer areas. I don't think you have to increase xp so much as continue to incorporate these additions. A turn in for each area would be ideal because we do like collecting things (though please keep it like the orchard where they are easily held in quest bags or frames).

The Searing Heights, The Underdark and King's Forest are really the only wasted zones I can think of. They could really use some more quests spread across the region.

Named loot always helps too.

In regards to slayer experience:

I'd like to reiterate that having a smoother return for time invested would make a big difference.
    The steep curve is what kills the fun of it for me. Rebalancing it to be a more linear progression rather than an exponential one would indeed make things feel like it's worth the time, IMO.

Also, yes to adding special goodies to the rare drops. The orchard is nicely done in that aspect. I could find all sorts of fun stuff in those, and that is what makes each run feel more fun and full of possibilities.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

for explorer area revamp i can think of

- Bump xp for slayers (but keep it lower then average quest xp min) ... so... no
    - Give little rewards more often for slayers, the 200/500/700/1000 thing.. offer a different progression of rewards. This can be done, but i fear willl change nothing in the end...so .. no
    - give rares some unique loot. .. This is surely a good add, and will help ppl find motivations tu run loot hunts to what they need. This can be done, but its not a definitive revamp...loot became obsolete, hunt runs often became zerge fest alienating 2 mins rush to the rare, not really cool for new players. So ... meh

- What i think will surely work its some kind of extra super reward for those u complete ALL explorer/rares and slayer.
    Not xp, but a quest loot end reward with special items or a huge favor amount reward or (ideal) a gratis passive feat with small moderate power (like the gh favor +10 hp for example) that can be taken every life, up to 3, but only 1 / life... name it something like 'knowledge of the devil battlefield', +1 to hit/dmg against devils.
    Little perk that can make some ppl happily start the grind...
    Last edited by Njohrd; 06-28-2013 at 04:58 AM.

My vote for changes:

- Cap all slayers at something reasonable, like maybe 750 for small areas and 1500 for big ones. 7500 or more is just cruel.
    - Reconfigure the xp awards to be at 10, 25, 50, and then every even 100 after that, adjusting the xp amounts to end up the same as on live.
    - Quadruple the "kill every rare" xp bonus. Killing every rare is an accomplishment.

Slayers aren't fun in and of themselves, they're fun as a byproduct of doing something else, like getting all explorers to uncover the map. But that goes by very quickly. Having slayers be a side benefit of getting all the rares would give you a bunch of slayers in the process, but right now the "kill all rares" reward is not nearly worth it. (Says the guy who got every rare in almost every explorer area last life. 3BC took like 3.5 hours, and I ended up at around 1200 slayers in the process so I finished it off at 1500.)

I oddly enough quite like the Restless Isles explorer area, but it only has three rares and six explorer points. Perhaps this could be looked at again? May be each island could be named and become an explorer point? Might be easier for people trying to find their way through it. At the moment there is little incentive to go there except for the fun of it because there's not even a decent xp gain from explorer and rares (and so few players go there to flag for the raid anymore).

Community Member

Explorer areas already provide more xp benefit for quick runs. The increases are not exponential, you get less xp/kill as you get to higher slayer counts. If anything the higher slayer counts should be rewarded more, but they won't do that because the main reason to do the higher slayer counts in Vale and some of the other packs is if you don't own many packs. It's not worth the xp otherwise. This is consistent with Turbine's rewarding you more for running a quest the first time than with subsequent times.

http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Vale_of_Twilight

Explorer areas are scaled for normal difficulty rather than hard/elite. Compared to normal difficulty quests, the explorer areas offer decent xp if you just do a quick one-time run to get the explorers, 100/200/400 kills depending on the area plus whatever rares you encounter.

A one-hour run through vale will provide around 50k xp and take one hour. Once you do that you will never achieve 50k/xp per hour in the vale wilderness. If you compare that to running vale quests on normal difficulty, it's reasonably close.

If they ever offered higher difficulty wildereness areas I am sure the xp would also increase. I would love to see it.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

I would like to see the new saga reward applied to the area's. At the very least, it would be nice to get an "end reward" for completing the S/E/R.

As far as XP, it would be nice to see the curve smoothed out, but they already reward enough. My Wilderness Only hit lvl 20 on her first life part of the way through the vale. I calculate that she will hit the new level cap of 28 before she finishes all of the current area's in her second life.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Community Member

Personally I don't have any problem with how explorers are. I think they are set up to not give every player an incentive to max them out, but to give those that like that sort of mechanic an option to do so.

What I see from this thread seems to be a lot of those who don't find them their cup of tea wanting everything in the game to fit their play style. Me, I can't stand challenges. But rather than suggest Turbine change them to fit my play style, I simply don't do them as I figure they are something others enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    I would like to see the new saga reward applied to the area's. At the very least, it would be nice to get an "end reward" for completing the S/E/R.
    Explorers already got a very nice perk for completing them: Permanent open map. In some of the bigger areas (vale, sands, king's forest, demonweb) this alone is worth the run to get all explorer/journals.

I can't imagine anything that could be used for rare hunting and slayer completion. Rares already awards some hunter awards on MM in some cases, but maybe a one-time legendary victory for completing all rares in an area for the first time. No idea about the slayers other than "keep giving XP after every 100 kills"
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Personally I don't have any problem with how explorers are. I think they are set up to not give every player an incentive to max them out, but to give those that like that sort of mechanic an option to do so.

What I see from this thread seems to be a lot of those who don't find them their cup of tea wanting everything in the game to fit their play style. Me, I can't stand challenges. But rather than suggest Turbine change them to fit my play style, I simply don't do them as I figure they are something others enjoy.
    The only problem with this is that you can never step into a challenge if you choose. I enjoy raiding, if I decide to run demon queen, I have to run thru a pointless explorer to do dq1. You can extend this to include vod, hox, lob, ma, sort of titan, tod has a component where you have to flag for it thru the explorer. This doesn't even address the bs that is getting a party to demonweb quests, or chains of flame. I won't even throw up pugs for those anymore because you spend twice as long getting everyone to the quest as you do in the quest in a pug. Even if you wait for people by the door to run them in, at least one person will wander off doing their own thing and get lost.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast