Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Explorer areas need more incentive

Explorer areas really need some love in ddo, as they don't currently offer an incentive to do them aside from the initial XP gain of grabbing all the explorer areas/notes.

Several changes are needed:
    1. HUGE increase in XP from kills, reduced amount of kills in top tiers
    2. Add named loot to chests in explorers that currently don't drop tome pages, commendations etc.
    3. Add some "boss named" that require a group to kill

I was driven to this when I spent 4 hours yesterday exploring the entire under dark (not schinndlryn), and was just saddened that up until yesterday i had never set foot there as there is simply no point in ever going there. While many areas seemed bland and stale and overly large, I did enjoy being in the frightening under dark, and just wish there was more of a reason to stay there.
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 39/39, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

Community Member

I agree with this.

Explorers are fair XP through 400 or so kills, and then drop off pretty quickly.

Random encounters (instead of rares) help a bit, but really the growth in number if kills between rewards makes it discouraging to run explorers. Who likes running for hours, getting a few hundred kills and seeing 8 or 10 k xp, mostly in repeated rares.

I'm not sure that more xp is needed, but it needs to be handed out on a different curve, say some amount of the xp every 100 kills with bigger bonuses every 250 or 500. Once you reach the point where you will get essentially no xp for an entire clearing of an explorer area, the fun disappears.

The only time I ever go above 400 is if I'm farming something else(taps, commmendations, tome pages...) and the xp is a side effect.
    TPICKRELL forum identity still broken, 15 weeks and counting... So yet another throw away Forum identity

Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix21 View Post
    Explorer areas really need some love in ddo, as they don't currently offer an incentive to do them aside from the initial XP gain of grabbing all the explorer areas/notes.

2. Add named loot to chests in explorers that currently don't drop tome pages, commendations etc.

I was driven to this when I spent 4 hours yesterday exploring the entire under dark (not schinndlryn), and was just saddened that up until yesterday i had never set foot there as there is simply no point in ever going there. While many areas seemed bland and stale and overly large, I did enjoy being in the frightening under dark, and just wish there was more of a reason to stay there.
    I agree that many explorer areas could use some incentive. In higher levels the xp is reasonable for at least your first run through, but lower areas could use an xp bump for starters. All chests should have something unique, whether it's named loot or collectible trade-in items. The Underdark area has got to be the greatest explorer area that nobody goes to. Besides one quest and the short walk to the drow city, it's purpose is minimal. With the effort that went into that area, it's downright criminal that there is no real reason to be there. I'd perhaps make the trader's camp a mini town with tavern, etc to make it a checkpoint. I'd add a few quests (never going to happen due to the microtransaction system sadly). Also I'd add a unique collectible to the chests as well as doubling the number of rare spawns.

As to your suggestion of adding encounters that require a group, I don't think it's possible to do so. What's tough for one group is easily solo'ed by someone else. Outside of adding mechanics that require more than one person, I can't see it as doable.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I disagree, I think they are fine as they are. The thing I like most about DDO is the quest driven xp and gaming experience. Kill x amount of critters for xp is seriously overdone in mmo's in general. The way they are not they're a nice bonus to xp that people can muck around with instead of standing around waiting for groups to fill (and it's been proven you can actually cap out on them alone, although it's a really slow and poor man way to do it, since you end up wtih next to no loot!).

And there is a reason to go the underdark, Belly of the Beast is a fun quest. And you can open a portal right near it so when you join a group it's fast and easy to get to from the eveningstar cavern instead of blundering about the dark trying to find the quest.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

I was just thinking this same thing the other night.

What I was thinking though was why not give xp for each kill equal to the mob CR?

A CR 1 mob would be 1 xp per kill, a CR 20 mob 20 xp per kill, etc, etc. Would certainly help on TR's too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post

What I was thinking though was why not give xp for each kill equal to the mob CR?

A CR 1 mob would be 1 xp per kill, a CR 20 mob 20 xp per kill, etc, etc. Would certainly help on TR's too.
    Nah, we get our XP primarily from doing quests, the XP per kill is done to death in other games, absolutely no need to adopt that here.

The only problem with the slayers is the diminishing returns on the ratio of XP to kills as you go up the tiers, and the gaps between some of the slayer tiers. Make each tier worth progressively more than the tier below and add more tiers to break it up and you're onto a winner.

Monster Manuals have made wilderness areas somewhat more valuable as they tend to have several of the same mob types in large concentrations. I know the XP/min is not all that great, but sometimes it's enjoyable to just mindlessly slay every, single, (un)living thing in the place.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Nah, we get our XP primarily from doing quests, the XP per kill is done to death in other games, absolutely no need to adopt that here.

The only problem with the slayers is the diminishing returns on the ratio of XP to kills as you go up the tiers, and the gaps between some of the slayer tiers. Make each tier worth progressively more than the tier below and add more tiers to break it up and you're onto a winner.

I only mean exp per kill in explorer zones, not in quest. I wouldn't like it in quests. Just something to see float over your head {3 exp} like Cannith Crafting does, just get to see something happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

I don't mess with explorer areas too much but it's nice when there is a lull in questing and raiding.

As has been mentioned, the Underdark is fabulous and the first run through every nook and cranny is a lot of fun. But with no important drops, the need becomes a "why bother".

I slayed 3000 giants in eGH adventure area and got 257,000+ xp in one shot to the ED arm. This is not an efficient way to get ED xp but a seriously nice by-product of hunting for relics while I'm bored and don't feel like running a quest.

Drop some ing, named items, etc. and those adventure areas won't be developer waste.

/signed

i find the explorers fine the way the are. Its a nice way to top off a level when you don't have time to commit to a quest. I wouldn't
    argue against a bump in the xp though
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

I love the explorer areas... But I usually only run through them a couple of times until I get all explorers and 200/400 kills... But that's a ton of exp and a fun break from questing.

I wouldn't mind seeing the exp after 200 kills split up so every 100 kills gets some exp... i.e. instead of 10k at 400, and 15k at 750, give us 5k at 300,400,500,600,700, etc.

Underdark also definitely needs something, more explorer points would be a good start... It's a pretty cool explorer area, but I never go there... Also, I haven't explored much of the area where VoD and Hound are either. That area could use more explorer points too...

I love the Drow City and the DemonWeb, great voice acting, and with 30-40 explorer points, they are really worth exploring every life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I love the explorer areas... But I usually only run through them a couple of times until I get all explorers and 200/400 kills... But that's a ton of exp and a fun break from questing.

I wouldn't mind seeing the exp after 200 kills split up so every 100 kills gets some exp... i.e. instead of 10k at 400, and 15k at 750, give us 5k at 300,400,500,600,700, etc.
    I really hate the exponential growth curve. It takes away so much fun of just running around killing.

Yes, it is all about perception there, but that perception is the difference between fun and "You expect me to do what?!!!!??"

Community Member

There were two points that I thought really stood out in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    This is extremely true. The reward for continuing the slayer kills with diligence should go up, not down. Not increased to the point that it is more rewarding than questing, certainly, but it would be nice to see the later tiers of slayer rewards not be such a joke for the amount of time invested.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    As to your suggestion of adding encounters that require a group, I don't think it's possible to do so. What's tough for one group is easily solo'ed by someone else. Outside of adding mechanics that require more than one person, I can't see it as doable.
    It is true that what one party may struggle with, another player may be able to smash with ease. But the idea of 'rare super-monsters' is still an interesting one. I think that the druid brothers in The High Road would be a good example of this, although much weaker than I would see these 'rare super-monsters' being. Some people find that the druid brothers destroy the game experience, by making it so that they are unable to get to the quest, while other people find them to be an enjoyable little challenge when they spawn. As such, these 'rare super-monsters' would need to be placed in out-of-the way areas so as to not impede the practical use of the explore area. Make them more of a challenge to parties or strong players that want to challenge themselves, rather than something that is a PITA to encounter. They could even use a summoning mechanic, like the Abashi in the Red Fens.

All around, some great ideas in this thread!

Thumbs up

Agreed.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post

I have thought about this too. I love questing for XP in ddo, but I feel like unless i have a decent amount of time to play that I can't accomplish much if anything. Perhaps there are very fast quests at every level but unless you know where to go and the quest well your stuck.

It would be nice to snag some XP for your kills, rather than wait until obscene amounts before a reward.
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 39/39, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

Personally I would much prefer other rewards being given out on the full completion of explorer areas. Favor and named loot would probably be the best of all. With the new augument system, anything from choice of level appropriate augments to named loot that has unique augment slots (ie rings with blue slots, runearms with red slots, quivers with red slots etc etc) would be awesome.

Favor would be great for us ftp/premium players.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Call me a bloodthirsty whatever, but I'd also like to see a bonus for killing everything in the explorer area, some sort of mass slaughter bonus aside from the slayer count. You need to kill absolutely everything in the map, in the associated crypts and caves, and when the last ones drops you get an XP bonus in addition to your regular slayers.

If you reset the instance then you can go again and slaughter even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix21 View Post

I'd prefer they removed them entirely, wasn't one of the initial marketing slogans spend time in the quest not getting to the quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    OH MY GOSH! something we agree on!

aside from at most 750 kills and explorers, i don't really care about slayers. i understand the point for them from an adventure point of view, but if i can zerg past mobs to get to the quest, i will. i might stop long enough to kill a rare along the way. even junk loot is good loot. i just assume run a quest than do slayer. its just not for everyone. there does need to be a better incentive for some to spend a long long time running around explorer areas to the ever increasing kill count, like 750 kills from 750-1500 and so forth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast