Community Member

Default New Player Seeking Major Help!

Hello, I found out about this game and I thought it was pretty cool, so I'm deciding to give this game a shot. Though I am new to this game which means I know nothing about this game. So I need all the help I can get PLEASE!!! I was thinking of starting off with a Melee Monk class. I don't know what path, rage, stats, etc., I should be using for a Melee Monk. So can anybody help me out with this please? Thank You!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNguyen View Post
    Hello, I found out about this game and I thought it was pretty cool, so I'm deciding to give this game a shot. Though I am new to this game which means I know nothing about this game. So I need all the help I can get PLEASE!!! I was thinking of starting off with a Melee Monk class. I don't know what path, rage, stats, etc., I should be using for a Melee Monk. So can anybody help me out with this please? Thank You!
    I've been playing off and on for about 3 years now, and I really have only been doing fighter. My recent restart had me make a new character, and I went for a monk this time. Allow me to assure you monk is really not a class I'm up for recommending as your first go about at DDO, it is not that forgiving.

If you're used to smashing things in the face, Fighter or Barbarian are great first choices, it's really hard to break the character no matter what you take, and you get to see really big numbers go on your screen.

Definitely not saying Monk is underwhelming or boring by any means, but they are indeed not something that's easy to choose as a starting class.

If you are set on trying monk, I recommend reading this post, https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/ , I found it while browsing this forum (if you're reading this, thank you very much Spencerian for having it in your signature!), it's very well written and will give you quite a bit of insight on the monk class.

As I said, I'm still very new to monk myself, but at level 5 so far I'm having a blast.

Good luck and welcome to the world of DDO!

As a side note...it is also not recommended to copy and paste the SAME post into every class forum >->
    Solvera on Sarlona - TR4
    Fighter - 3 past lives
    Current life: 16 monk/4 fighter

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

The best thing i can ever do help a new player is introduce you to this linK: http://www.ddowiki.com

It has information on everything, from the classes and what they can do and what stats matter, to the quests, gear, everything.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

As far as builds go, the premade paths are generally considered to be horrendous. This thread was started some time ago but I think that the posted builds are still good for the purposes of the premade paths. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=paths

Quote Originally Posted by Paroon View Post
    I've been playing off and on for about 3 years now, and I really have only been doing fighter. My recent restart had me make a new character, and I went for a monk this time. Allow me to assure you monk is really not a class I'm up for recommending as your first go about at DDO, it is not that forgiving.

If you're used to smashing things in the face, Fighter or Barbarian are great first choices, it's really hard to break the character no matter what you take, and you get to see really big numbers go on your screen.

Definitely not saying Monk is underwhelming or boring by any means, but they are indeed not something that's easy to choose as a starting class.

If you are set on trying monk, I recommend reading this post, https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/ , I found it while browsing this forum (if you're reading this, thank you very much Spencerian for having it in your signature!), it's very well written and will give you quite a bit of insight on the monk class.

As I said, I'm still very new to monk myself, but at level 5 so far I'm having a blast.

Good luck and welcome to the world of DDO!

As a side note...it is also not recommended to copy and paste the SAME post into every class forum >->
    You're welcome! The Book of Syncletica is a Monk guide that wouldn't nearly be as decent without many people on the forums, the DDO Wiki and others from adding contributions and correcting my bias or errors. I hope that guide is a help.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more