Default A small change to getting items from the ES Challenge Pack

I have a problem with the ES challenges. When I'm trying to get any version of the Cloak of the Bear, I first have to purchase the level 16 version, then use more mats and the base item to upgrade it to the level 20 version. The same goes for the level 24 version, but with even MORE mats. Furthermore, all ES challenge mats are bound to character on aquire.

And then there is the Cloak of Flames from the Cannith challenges. I can buy a level different versions of the cloak at different levels, and I don't need the lower level version to do so. Not only that, the Cloak and the ingredients used to buy it are bound to ACCOUNT, not character, allowing me to farm the needed mats with any character I want at any level.

This is a bit inconsistent, don't you think?

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

I run the Cannith Challenges for mats often with my guildies when we are only 2 or 3 on and half only limited time.

I havnt touched the Evening Star Challenges after i farmed 1 Adamantine Cloak of the Bear on my Warchanter, after experiencing every challenge in two or treww runs for the "playing a new quest" experience.

Why?

Because Eveningstar mats are bound to character.

Why farm mats on a character if i might later want an item on another character and now all those mats are effectively wasted time. With Cannith mats i can farm with whatever char i can use at the time and then transfer the mats to the char who is interested in an item when i get the idea i could use it. So i can farm to build myself a nice stock of Cannith challenge ingredients.

While in Eveningstar challenged i need to first have a desire for an item and then farm the ingredients on that particular character. Any leftovers mats --> wasted.
    A ES Challenge group in the LFM needs a healer? --> Wont run it because only my Fighter is interested in mats atm.

BtC mats lead to great inflexibility for absolutly no gain. I dont farm more Eveningstar Challenges because of BtC, i dont farm at all.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Turbine, why is this still not changed? Why is it even created as BTC anyway?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    This is a bit inconsistent, don't you think?
    One could view it as an inconsistency, but more likely, simply a change of direction. Someone along the way decided the game wasn't grindy enough, just in time for the ES challenges. The current goal is to keep you on as much as possible with the increased grind. That's why the ES mats are BtC instead of BtA like the CC mats. With CC, you can build one character to do all the farming. But by making it so you had to do the farming on the character you want the gear on, they keep you in the game longer.

This is, sadly, WAI. I'd actually bet that changing the House C challenges to match ES is on the To Do list, but is a low priority.

Lammania NDA prevents anyone from saying anything on the subject , but you will want to read the U19 release notes when they become available...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TPICKRELL View Post
    Lammania NDA prevents anyone from saying anything on the subject , but you will want to read the U19 release notes when they become available...
    Can you hint as to whether it is a good or bad change? Changing ES mats to BoA would be good. Changing House C challenge mats to be bound to character would be bad. Both however solve the inconsistency problem so both could be viewed as a solution.

Pointing out whether you feel a change is good or bad is not an NDA violation because you are only stating your feelings on a vague subject.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Eveningstar Challenge ingredients are changing to become Bind-to-Account with Update 19.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Eveningstar Challenge ingredients are changing to become Bind-to-Account with Update 19.
    That is great news,

now if only we can get all challanges go up to lvl 30 so higher lvl characters can still get ingredients.

That is good news, even if it is a year too late.

And no word on the new level cap seriously hampering the ingredient gains then?

NDA break!

Varg, any chance we might see 24/28 versions of the pack items? I can see them being very useful.

OMG this is amazing. Turbine did something right. Yay for you Turbine. Lets hope this is the start of a new trend where Turbine listens to the wishes of its clients.

If you think I am be sarcastic then you are wrong. I love throwing eggs at Turbine but this is genuine gratitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    No, although VIP players do get free Gold rolls on Daily Dice, so that might fit into your criteria. But when it comes to chest drops, chain rewards, general Daily Dice rolls (what number you get), etc., VIP does not confer additional "luck".

Thanks, Vargouille, for the feedback!