Default am i the only one?

well..test the owlbear again.. seem not different. still get hit 100% of the time.. still get damage for the same damage.. oh well.. i sorta give up anywayz..

p.s. can we exchange the level 25 owlbear for a permanent level 23 fighter hrie that already exist? also the level 17 ones for a level 15 if possible...

p.s.2. or a refound would be nice.. i don't even want this expansion now.. ill be sure to never purchase any further expansion form turbine. (the gold cosmetic armor still missing.. good job..)

Community Member

Default no you aren't ... probably

I'm really glad I didn't purchase that expansion. I was thinking about it though. I have had a ton of trouble logging in since the update before this one. Because of this I'm not going to spend another cent on anything until it's fixed. I have toons on almost all servers because I never know which one will let me play on any given night. I have toons that I would rather play but any DDO is better than no DDO.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by burningwind View Post
    p.s. can we exchange the level 25 owlbear for a permanent level 23 fighter hrie that already exist? also the level 17 ones for a level 15 if possible...
    There is no level 23 fighter hire that exists, nor a level 15 one. There is a level 20 permanent fighter hire that exists, but it was only available as a preorder for Motu, the panther. And speaking as a healer, most of the players in my groups at the level 25 get hit all the time too, so why should the hire not be getting hit? Especially since any healer hires you buy to take with you will heal them as if they are a another player getting whacked around. I've found the panther and owlbears to be helpful when soloing. Not to the level of other players, which is as it should be. They should not be as good or better than actual real people. Especially with all the complaints in this community about people not wanting to group and do everything alone anyway.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

I haven't used the level 25 owlbear since the patch, but the level 17 version seems ok. It's not as good as the panther @ level mainly because of the panther's evasion and damage reduction, but still not bad. I tested him out in Lords of Dust Elite yesterday and he did quite well against the end boss, so I think the boosts are showing. I was playing level 18 cleric and only had to throw 5 heals at him while dotting the boss. The boss never charged me like he often does when dotting.

If the level 23 you are referring to is Tarlov (level 23 ranger with min level of 24) then yes he is quite effective, His #s are much better than you could actually expect when considering his known prestige, destiny and having no buffs showing. Although at times he is too far away from the enemy and swinging at the air rather than the enemy so it sort of makes up for his higher than expected damage #s. He is the only hire I know that uses whirlwind and he does it on his own.

By the way if anyone can show me mathematically how Tarlov is achieving his base melee non-crit damage #s with tempest III, shiradi champion and no gear that would provide a buff symbol in his bar I would love to see it. I haven't been able to figure it out myself.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

There is a level 23 one? I'd managed to never hear of Tarlev, where did he come from? *curious now*
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    There is a level 23 one? I'd managed to never hear of Tarlev, where did he come from? *curious now*
    Epic hireling with 2 alchemical khopeshes and red dragon hide and does about 100 base dmg with each hand
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

I like the updated L17 Owlbear now. Only needs to be scroll healed and has more healing amp than some PUG folks. Plays better than a first life stoner and never died in the at level elites. I took the L17 Owl into some FR challenges at CR19 and he did fine there too.

The only difference between the Owlbear and the battlecat is Evasion as far as I can see.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

There is no level 23 fighter hire that exists, nor a level 15 one. There is a level 20 permanent fighter hire that exists, but it was only available as a preorder for Motu, the panther. And speaking as a healer, most of the players in my groups at the level 25 get hit all the time too, so why should the hire not be getting hit? Especially since any healer hires you buy to take with you will heal them as if they are a another player getting whacked around. I've found the panther and owlbears to be helpful when soloing. Not to the level of other players, which is as it should be. They should not be as good or better than actual real people. Especially with all the complaints in this community about people not wanting to group and do everything alone anyway.
    He is not asking for the Owlbear to be as good as a player... he is asking it to be as good as the regular in-game hireling that you can purchase for plat. That seems totally reasonable, considering he paid $40 for it.

As it stands now, its not even as good as the level 21 fighter hireling and it's supposed to be an EPIC lvl 25 fighter.

The panther was great for level 20 content. The owlbear sucks for 25.
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    He is not asking for the Owlbear to be as good as a player... he is asking it to be as good as the regular in-game hireling that you can purchase for plat. That seems totally reasonable, considering he paid $40 for it.

As it stands now, its not even as good as the level 21 fighter hireling and it's supposed to be an EPIC lvl 25 fighter.

The panther was great for level 20 content. The owlbear sucks for 25.
    Are you talking about level 25 epic elite or epic hard? Any specific quests you're talking about?

I need to know so I can test your premise tonight that the level 25 owlbear is not as good as the level 21 fighter hireling.

The reason the panther is so good is evasion... Owlbear gets hurts by spells that the panther ignores. But I still find the owlbear, panther, level 19 hireling cleric (the one with mass heal) a very solid team when I'm "soloing".
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Are you talking about level 25 epic elite or epic hard? Any specific quests you're talking about?

I need to know so I can test your premise tonight that the level 25 owlbear is not as good as the level 21 fighter hireling.

The reason the panther is so good is evasion... Owlbear gets hurts by spells that the panther ignores. But I still find the owlbear, panther, level 19 hireling cleric (the one with mass heal) a very solid team when I'm "soloing".
    Im talking about the level 25 owlbear. Test him against the level 21 dwarf fighter hireling. Epic hard should be fine.

I would really appreciate the testing. It would be great to have someone who likes the owlbear actually come up with some test results... as some of us are biased and jaded from the experience with the first owlbear version.

Not sure if you have read any of the old threads testing the Owlbear supposed 200 PRR... but some others have done a lot of testing with the owlbear and it really sucked. So if we can get them to do those same tests with the upgraded bear, that would be great.

I've already posted about how the new owlbear used some Sovereign healing pots to heal itself. So they did make that improvement.

I was mostly going off how the old owlbear was. I will not have time to test the new version until this weekend.
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

pop the bear will only make things harder. the bear is count as a level 23 fighter, but it does not pull its own weight. not enough compare to regular level 23 hireling. so pop him will only make things worst, it is still doable, as eh aren't much hard to begin with.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Sokól View Post
    Epic hireling with 2 alchemical khopeshes and red dragon hide and does about 100 base dmg with each hand
    Yes, but how did people acquire it? And I'm kinda surprised I've never seen one in my short man groups where all sorts of hirelings fly.

Community Member

Yes, but how did people acquire it? And I'm kinda surprised I've never seen one in my short man groups where all sorts of hirelings fly.
    He's available from the hireling vendor in Eveningstar. It's actually a lot of fun to watch him work. Only bad thing about him was that I saw he's level 23, so when he was level 23 my bard (Attickus) bought some contracts only to realize afterward that his ML is 24. He had to wait a bit before he could use them.

edit: however, i could have sworn that the ranger hireling uses scimitars. one of them looks like it's anarchic of some sort.

Community Member

I'd like to get more feedback on the post-U18.2 Owlbear.

What are other people experiencing with this creature?