Default Human Shield Mastery and Paladin Sacred Shield Mastery

Hello,

Do those two abilities stack to each other? Also, it seems that either one (to increase dex max of tower shield) doesn't even work to improve my Bastion max dex.. It still says max dex of 2 even thought I bought both abilities. I haven't reset to check if both abilities stack.

Update: I reset human tree then re-invest in shield mastery. Wow, it does stack with sacred shield mastery then.. But dex cap on Tower shield doesn't increase and I don't see added AC boost from increased dex so dex cap on tower shield is bugged but both enhancements do stack on term of % shield AC bonus.. Very nice..

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nocifer_Deathblade View Post
    Update: I reset human tree then re-invest in shield mastery. Wow, it does stack with sacred shield mastery then.. But dex cap on Tower shield doesn't increase and I don't see added AC boost from increased dex so dex cap on tower shield is bugged but both enhancements do stack on term of % shield AC bonus.. Very nice..
    I can't envision wasting AP on either of these abilities much less both, so I couldn't say for sure, but my understanding is that unless they explicitly state they don't stack then they should stack. The investment it takes to get a usable AC is far too great a sacrifice IMO. I skipped every single AC boost ability from armor/shields/whatever on my paladin and still am tight on AP. But.... I do very respectable DPS, have great saves and evasion, and heal up really nice.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Nocifer_Deathblade View Post
    Am I missing something? Assuming you have the EE verison of bastion which is 19AC then, by adding 15%, you are spending 6AP for 2 (3 depending on rounding) AC. That doesn't sound very nice to me. If the dex bonus also applied then it might be worthwhile for the boost to dodge cap and a bit more AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    I can't envision wasting AP on either of these abilities much less both, so I couldn't say for sure, but my understanding is that unless they explicitly state they don't stack then they should stack. The investment it takes to get a usable AC is far too great a sacrifice IMO. I skipped every single AC boost ability from armor/shields/whatever on my paladin and still am tight on AP. But.... I do very respectable DPS, have great saves and evasion, and heal up really nice.
    These enhancements are primarily useful to increase your max dex bonus, so you can increase how much dodge you can have. I agree with you that they're not worth taking for the AC bonus. On my Paladin I'm currently running with Sacred Armor Mastery 3 and Sacred Shield Mastery 2 to increase my max dex bonus by 3 (heavy plate has max dex bonus of 1, and tower shields have 2). An extra 3% dodge isn't game breaking, but it's kinda nice The extra AC is just a bonus.

To the op, this is a graphical bug, and at least on the Paladin Sacred Shield Mastery it definitely increases your max dex bonus with tower shields. I've tested this by resetting my enhancements and looking at how much dodge I had, and what my AC was, then taking the enhancements and seeing these increase. The confusing thing is that Sacred Armor Mastery shows the increase in your max dex bonus (MDB) on your armor (i.e. you will see your modified MDB if you look at your armor), while the sacred shield mastery enhancement only shows the base MDB, even though it's actually higher with the enhancement.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

Yep. I agree that spending 6 AP (I do have EE bastion) just to gain 3 AC is total waste.. I was just hoping that increase max DEX on tower shield would work but it doesn't so I'll just re-invest 6 AP in other skills til this shield mastery get fixed.. It would be nice to increase max dex OR add % double attack along with AC improvement would be nice as well.

Community Member

Yeah, if I were to re-make these enhancements (and not combine them with armor, which is the first thing I'd do) I would add 2/4/6 double strike and 3/6/9 PRR (in addition to the AC and max dex). I might even buy into it for 1/2/3 stacking double strike and 2/4/6 PRR.