Default With The future of DDO in question, what will you do?

With an ever increasingly bugged game and changes being made to the game that most likely will be an epic fail, what other online games might you be playing in the future? I myself have already played some Neverwinter and are looking into Elder Scrolls Online.

doom threads are supposed to start on Mondays.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    doom threads are supposed to start on Mondays.
    Some people are just show boaters.

I'm always a fan of their cute little titles though.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

I'll play this until the World of Darkness mmo comes out. If it doesn't last that long, then I'll just switch over to SWTOR. If that's over before the WoD mmo comes out, then I'll play DCUO. If that's over before DDO bites it, then I guess I can play any one of the few dozen console games I have.

I'm not terribly worried about DDO burning out before WoD comes out though. This game is like Freddy Krueger and Jason Vorhees combined. You could shoot it out of an airlock in space, have it plunge to earth in a ball of fire and it'd get up, dust itself off and keep on going.

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

There do seem to be a lot of irked players these days, but do you really think a mass exodus from this game is more likely than a lot of players happily miserable to air their grievances within this forum?

Yeah, despite all the drama of late, I'm banking on this game still being around for a while. Literally banking, as I just bought some more TP for purchasing upcoming content (expansion) and sundries, lol.

First, this game has been going under since long before I started playing. Doom threads go back before f2p. And yet, DDO is still here.

Second, I'm pretty happy with Turbine's seemingly renewed interest in communication with the playerbase. If they are willing to keep an open dialogue between the players and their offices I think that that will equate to a better, more profitable game.

And, if the servers do go dark?
    Meh, I'll find something else to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

Quote Originally Posted by mpetrarca View Post
    With an ever increasingly bugged game and changes being made to the game that most likely will be an epic fail, what other online games might you be playing in the future? I myself have already played some Neverwinter and are looking into Elder Scrolls Online.

On a serious note, I'm not playing right now but staying on the forums with the hope the devs change their minds on the tr wiping ed changes and that they don't completely fail on xp changes. At the moment I'm just playing console games and catching up on some reading.

I do not think the servers will go dark with the poorly thought out changes they are talking about. However, take Runescape, several years ago they made changes hoping to increase thier customer base and a lot of long time players left and still to this day Runescapes Customer base has never recovered.

Cry in a corner as I go down with the ship.

Everyone cried doom in EQ2 when they went f2p. Still kicking.

Everyone cried doom in WoW recently over some things...still kicking.

SWtoR was doomed recently...as well as quite a few others.

I think I will just keep playing DDO and wonder what people are talking about...lol.

No offense to the op, just my instinctual reaction...I doubt it is going anywhere. soon.
    Thelanis - Solo Artists (level 15 guild)
    Saihung - 16 Ranger : Narir - 12 Wizard: Doodlebrain Wisenhammer - 8 Paladin
    Fuirwyn HalfFull - 14 Rogue Mechanic: Nephtalia Treehugger - 6 Druid: Wusai - 6 Fighter

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

LOL I answered this same exact thread by a different poster several years ago, and it hasn't changed. I'll play DDO until they shut it, or something I fall in love with better comes out. So far there isn't anything better, since I like actual quests and not just go kill x amount of critter y. I'm an adventurer, not an exterminator dangit.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mpetrarca View Post
    If people can't handle the bugs in DDO, they may commit suicide playing Elder Scrolls Online. You know, the MMO version of one of the most bug-ridden series in the history of gaming.

I have forgotten my towel, therefore I must panic!

There is no free lunch.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    If people can't handle the bugs in DDO, they may commit suicide playing Elder Scrolls Online. You know, the MMO version of one of the most bug-ridden series in the history of gaming.
    This is true, but you also have to give it to them that several of those bugs were hilariously epic! I still laugh about the time I had something like 20 undead backwards flying freakin' immortal dragons trying to kill me everywhere I went in Skyrim like some sort of demented cheerleader squad designed by Joker.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Love the early thread humour

Well every game has a shelf life which approximates at about ten years for the very best of games and usually no more than five years or so at best. You have to be aware of DDO's age and while it can still attract new players (through Free to Play) it is still a game that is coming to term.

It makes no sense to continue to finance an ageing product, which is why the bugs will probably not be fixed and eventually the budget for developing the game any further will dry up. At that point the game will only stay alive if it continues to make enough money to warrant running the servers. Even then Turbine may decide to shut DDO down just to focus on new products, like City of Heroes was shut down to induce people to play Aeon.

Realistically it is too late for DDO to be perfect. But the largely roleplaying community here is really sweet and so much nicer than other MMO's that it would be a travesty to see it drift away so I really hope Turbine has plans to make a sequel for the time when DDO is too old to be played anymore and has to die.

I'm going to give Elder Scrolls Online a try. Though, to be fair, I've given a number of mmos a "try" since DDO came out and I have not been impressed. This time, however, given the state (and direction) of the game, I'm more motivated than ever to find something to spend the next 5+years playing. I figured that Everquest Next (EQ3) or Pathfinder Online would have been the next contenders... but ESO looks pretty fantastic and has the right design philosophy. It, frankly, looks to play more like D&D than DDO currently does.

Community Member

I shall window shop, enjoy the eye candy,

.... and continue to play DDO.
    www.LegendsGuild.eu - on Thelanis
    Brunhildha (Stroppy healer); Niwareka (Sneaky Ranger); Hiacynthe (Happy Monk); Juss (Hitty Healer); Sharkee (Dirty old Shenanigan); Kawariki (Confused drow wizzy)

Play DDO until they shut down the servers on me.

No other game even comes close.