Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We have taken a couple of steps today that may have an impact on Wayfinder's population. We have removed the [DE] text from the launcher, since Wayfinder is no longer a German-language-specific server. We have also made Wayfinder the default "recommended world" for new players.
    Rotate it to give each server a full month as the recommended and then measure retention of the new players, their timezones and their spend?

Or maybe just, go balls-in and display the number of players currently logged into each server and let people make up their own mind?

Community Member

We have also made Wayfinder the default "recommended world" for new players.
    FYI, I deleted the world information from the launcher settings file, and I get Khyber at the top of the list and identified as the Recommended World.

Community Member

Default Seems I put this in the wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    I know this sounds like doing Turbine's job for them, but why not use the net for a publicity campaign? Get as many players as you can to talk nice about DDO in social networking sites. Maybe this will get more people to try the game, and some will stay. Maybe even specify Wayfinder as looking for adventurous souls who like to explore 3D worlds. Draw up graphics and promote the game in several languages.
    Then again, we could do this for any server. Let's drum up some tourism.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Ahhh. How I pine for the day when MMOs are truely single world and the player base is not divided and segregated by such limitations we have today.

We have taken a couple of steps today that may have an impact on Wayfinder's population. We have removed the [DE] text from the launcher, since Wayfinder is no longer a German-language-specific server. We have also made Wayfinder the default "recommended world" for new players.
    Can you give them an XP bonus there as incentive? A safeword to switch them to another server, like "FLÜGGÅ?NK?€?HIŒ?ØL?ÊN"?
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

As others have said, this might not be the best idea... and again the mention of server merges comes up -- might be worth discussing openly with the community. On Cannith I frequently feel that I spend more time waiting for groups (to form/fill) than questing... that is bad for business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    it will go on and on and on to level 999

Why not recommending a server by the new player's timezone/nationality? I'm sure Turbine has the knowledge and resources to do that. For example I believe that Cannith could be a recommended server for a newbie from Europe, since there are a lot of people from that timezone and a lot of euro based guilds.
    IMHO Turbine shouldn't invest so much in Wayfinder, if their plan is to get it to the other servers population levels. As other people already stated Turbine's move could scare new players, by making them start in a low population server.
    I'm not opposed at all to a Wayfinder merge or a free server transfer for Wayfinder's players. I think my server (Cannith) could use some new people, as I personally think that our population has significantly decreased.

Community Member

Thumbs down

Wow. I would have thought a newb friendly server like Sarlona to be a better place. We may not have the DDO's finest l337 but the player base for the most part are well behaved and helpful. Those poor Wayfinder new players who come to the game expecting to see an MMORPG and just end up seeing an ORPG.

Just fix the paid character transfer service and redistribute the Wayfinder resources elsewhere. You know it is the right thing to do.

Community Member

If I, as an experienced player, routinely take breaks from DDO to play WOW because of the difficulty in finding groups sometimes, what do you think a new player in Wayfinder will do? After he can't find a group to play what is advertised as an MMO, frustration will set in (on top of all the other frustrations that new players have to deal with anyway), and he'll likely walk away.

By all that is holy, we need more people in this game! Not fewer. Brainiac decisions like this just confound the daylights out of me. But then look at our new forums; I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

What ever just happened to doing the right thing? A server merge before those in Wayfinder call it a day and move on? It doesn't even have to be a "real" merge. Just have Wayfinder and another server be able to "play together" sort of like WOW does. You're still technically on different servers, but you can play together.

However, despite all the bad decisions around here, this is still the best game I've been able to find. It only takes me a week of playing WOW to drive me back to DDO.

Umm... really? Just my opinion, but....sending new players to a low population server really sets expections low for a new player looking for groups, guilds or just another character on the server. Especially for a world that was a German world. So not only does a new player have the 'where is everyone' problem... but also 'great, I found another player...what is (s)he saying?!'.

Send the Wayfinder population to one of the exisiting servers. And 'recommend' the other servers at random.

My 2pp

I've thought about moving to and starting over on Wayfinder, just my own little way of bringing over some life, though my main concerns are:

1. Being mocked because my German is sehr crappy.
    2. Not being able to find a group . . . ever.
    3. Dead AH / Extremely over-inflated prices on the AH.
    4. Insular community -- hard to find a guild/fit in.

Quomodo cecidisti de cælo, Lucifer, qui mane oriebaris. corruisti in terram, qui vulnerabas gentes.
    Qui dicebas in corde tuo: In cælum conscendam, super astra Dei exaltabo solium meum.

I believe that if you redirect incoming players to wayfinder, a isolated, sparsely populated server that rarely has groups in a game that highly encourages (If not requires) grouping, that'll be all she wrote.
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    What is the difference between a nearly dead and brand new server?
    Correct answer: With a brand new server, there are always vet players wanting to escape their crowded homes and to start anew. With a dead server, they are reluctant because they know the server already (or even have a full set of farming toons there).

Let´s asume for a moment, Wayfinder is brand new...

Community Member

In the real world, governments encouraged people to move to less populated areas by giving them direct incentives. People who settled the West got acres of free land. People who move to Alaska get a check every year from oil revenue-sharing.

Turbine could easily do the same to encourage both new and veteran characters to roll up a toon on the low-population servers. Say, a one-time-per-account 500 TP reward for reaching L12 on a "targeted" server, and another 500 for reaching L20. Yes, some people may just roll up a toon and zerg it for the rewards and then abandon it, but it'll temporarily drive up the population, which may help it reach "critical mass" with the influx of new players. And some people may end up sticking around permanently, if they get involved with a guild or something. California was founded on such a "population rush" economy, and it managed to do OK after that

Let me understand this. You want to send new players to a server with a very low population. That used to be a German-lanuage-specific server.

So they will have no one to group with, and those that will group together will speak broken English.

Community Member

That may just cost new customers.... sounds ill advised.

Please tell me this has already been changed back to a policy that won't drive new players away from the game.

Wayfinder is the absolute last place you should be directing new players. This is a terrible, terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    I have to agree. While this idea might work out (about as much as the original Wayfinder idea did) but it could very easily backfire and drive away new players who just assume the game is a deserted wasteland. By the time any new players that actually stuck around realize they were "tricked", they've invested too much in their characters to want to start anywhere else. Pushing players toward a dead server just seems like a poorly thought out idea.
    I'm guessing this might be more appealing to those seeking at least a minimal relief from some lag. Also it would be appealing, for a while, anyway, to get away from those who have the best gear in the game and feel their best option to show it off is beating on new players in the Lobster.
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Community Member

I haven't played DDO for 2 months but i am pretty sure the situation is not better on Wayfinder now.
    The population has decreased even more in the past months.
    All friends i played with have left the Game ( not only because of the Server but also because of the direction the game took in the past updates), so i had to quit too.

I personally don't think anything can make the situation better on Wayfinder. It is too late for that.

True new players will just notice that the server is dead and leave the game completely.

But something has to be done anyway....and i think a server merge would be the best option.

I just fear..that a server merge is impossible for different reasons only turbine knows.
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

Default What a responce

Wow, I know we had all been thinking it, but to get this number of responses is encouraging for us all that maybe our Wayfinder community is not nearly dead.

Thank you to Cordovan for a quick response, I did PM him to make him aware of the post and its a great move forwards removing the DE from Wayfinder, however i do have to agree with the majority here in saying that steering new players to a server with a low population is not exactly what we need.

What i actually said was, can we get some ideas together, so that we can put them forwards to Turbine and create a healthy population. I don't see the need to create further problems by getting new players to come to Wayfinder on their first experience to DDO, and find (Currently GMT+10 Time) 1 LFM up, and about 25 players (8 of which are level 4 and bellow on not in a guild)

We do have a healthy (but small) population already, but we need to look at how we can grow that and attract new players, not force them here.

What i would love to see is a vote of hands on the top 5 things we as a community and Turbine as a company could do. I personally don't know exactly whats on other peoples minds, but...

On the top of my list is
    1. Offer other players a transfer from another server (turbine)
    2. The "Guild Leaders" Offer up some invitations (via a post) to attract new members.
    3. ??? Other Input Here
    4. ??? Other Input Here
    5. ??? Other Input Here

We cant fix this by making rash changes, although we have made 1 BIG Change already (the DE thing from the name Wayfinder "no offence our German speaking friends")

Thanks all for the comments on this post, it has certainly made it clear that we are keen to keep this server alive.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast