Default Half elf monk question

Rolled a Half-Elf dark monk 16/16/14/8/14/8 and chose rogue dilettante for what I hoped would be more dps from sneak attacks (when available). This is before (yeah I do that sometimes) I read recent monk guides. Now I'm scratching my head.

2 years ago I rolled a Halfling light monk that I found was plain awful. Now I read they changed it and Light Monk is the better option now?

I have never played a Half Elf before and am not familiar with how dilettante feat/enhancement work. Is cleric the best synergy for monks? Read something about using high level cleric scrolls.

I chose stunning fist as one of the early feats without thinking (just thought it was default for all type of monks). I read it only synergises with light monk. Did I just gimp myself?

Luckily my monk is level 4 and easily be deleted if I have made a huge mistake.

Feedback on monk is welcome.
    Many of life's lessons are taught through games. So GAME ON!
    Ghallanda Server - Guild: Legends of Ancient Greece
    Characters: Kleftis, Archpapas, Polemistis, Elveis, Axesizis, Eurostos, Mihanodigos, Agiosmihanos, Trayoudis, Idikos ... so many more

Community Member

Light vs dark is a matter of preference/playstyle. If pure light monk has a lot of self heals from 3x light finisher and the hp on hit from the light curse. Dark on the other hand gets you shadow fade for 25% incorp which is a huge decrease in incoming damage and touch of death which is a lot of extra damage. If you aren't going to stay pure light monk loses some of its benefit because 3x light finisher scales based on monk levels.

As far as what dilletante to select a lot of people go cleric because it lets you use scrolls as if you were a lvl 10 cleric when you have all of the enhancement increases. That lets you use level 5 spell scrolls like raise dead at 100% and level 6 spells like heal at 95% success. Rogue dilletante will give you 3d6 sneak attack that stacks with ninja spy sneak attack for a total of 6d6.

I personally use cleric dilletante myself because 3d6 sneak attack from rogue is a drop in the bucket these days because of epic destinies. While cleric will let you use the scrolls mentioned above w/o having to invest skill points/gear into umd (getting 40 umd to cast no fail heal scrolls is tough to pull off on a class that doesn't have umd as a class skill w/o a heavy investment).

Whether you're light or dark monk you want stunning fist. Dunno who in their right mind would say it only synergises with light monks when it does more for dark monk by giving you your sneak attack damage on stunned mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorlandu View Post
    Light vs dark is a matter of preference/playstyle. If pure light monk has a lot of self heals from 3x light finisher and the hp on hit from the light curse. Dark on the other hand gets you shadow fade for 25% incorp which is a huge decrease in incoming damage and touch of death which is a lot of extra damage. If you aren't going to stay pure light monk loses some of its benefit because 3x light finisher scales based on monk levels.

As far as what dilletante to select a lot of people go cleric because it lets you use scrolls as if you were a lvl 10 cleric when you have all of the enhancement increases. That lets you use level 5 spell scrolls like raise dead at 100% and level 6 spells like heal at 95% success. Rogue dilletante will give you 3d6 sneak attack that stacks with ninja spy sneak attack for a total of 6d6.

I personally use cleric dilletante myself because 3d6 sneak attack from rogue is a drop in the bucket these days because of epic destinies. While cleric will let you use the scrolls mentioned above w/o having to invest skill points/gear into umd (getting 40 umd to cast no fail heal scrolls is tough to pull off on a class that doesn't have umd as a class skill w/o a heavy investment).

Whether you're light or dark monk you want stunning fist. Dunno who in their right mind would say it only synergises with light monks when it does more for dark monk by giving you your sneak attack damage on stunned mobs.
    ^^ This. A half-elf with Cleric dilettante, Light or Dark, is a very versatile creature with scrolls to help themselves and others. Monks are very self-sufficient. To be able to give substantial buffs without investing in UMD or multiclassing so that a pure Monk build yields maximum damage is a great thing.

Same on Stunning Fist. No one stuns better than a Monk if you add all the WIS you can find.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

Stunning Fist is a powerhouse regardless of which path you choose.

I took the rogue dilettante on my HE dark monk because I spam Unbalancing Strike vs. vulnerable mobs whenever it is off timer. This triggers sneak attack damage a very, very high percentage of the time, and the rogue dilly takes the average SA from 23 to 33. To me that compares pretty well to other commonly-slotted feats or attributes like +.5[W] or +2 Exceptional STR, so I'm not sure how the extra SA can be so easily marginalized unless folks just don't see it that often.

Equipment, stances, feats and ED's all mitigate the need for scroll use, in my experience. I never need them when soloing, and generally group with people that are also self-sufficient. Your experience with the game might be completely different, though, even for no other reason than you want it to be. So the real question as I see it is what would make your HE build the most fun for you to play. Only you can answer that. The nice thing about the dilettante feats is that you can swap them out on the cheap to find out what works best for you and elicits the most fun. My recommendation would be to leverage that fact if you have the resources to do so.
    Unbreakable Argonnessen Merrchant Hindenburg Neidermeyer

Stunning fist is just to good and useful to throw away on any monk.

I usually go cleric dilettante until I get my UMD to about 39ish, then do a free feat swap to rogue dillie.

Almost every toon should be able to scroll heal by cap by investing in UMD.

You'll be able to use raise scrolls, heal scrolls, tenser's, GH, etc...(YMMV so you might need to use the planner to make sure).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pehtis View Post
    I chose stunning fist as one of the early feats without thinking (just thought it was default for all type of monks). I read it only synergises with light monk. Did I just gimp myself?
    It sounds like you have been reading monk information from Lamannia? As it stands on Live, Stunning Fists is key for essentially every Monk out there. But post-Enhancement Trees dark Monks are pushed heavily away from using Wraps and towards other weapons.

No matter how you decide to build your Monk, there will be some rather game changing alterations that you will have to adapt to come August.