Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    DDO Producer

Default End of the Week with Major Mal Totally Enhanced Edition

Happy end of the week! Next week-ish (depending on build stability exc) we will be rolling out the second look at the Enhancements revamp. There has been a ton of work done--something north of 600 issues addressed.
    Some of the general changes:
    • tier 5 costs less total points to access. the tradeoff is you can only take tier 5's from one tree, but you can take as many as you want in that tree. Choose wisely.
    • You can now take up to 6 class trees
    • Clerics have had design work done.
    • Bard Warchanter has a bunch of design work done

Some examples of bugs fixed:

• Amaunator can now be chosen as a deity for Forgotten Realm characters.
    • Some old religious feats that were exclusive to Favored Soul (such as Child of Vulkoor and Beloved of Lord of Blades) are now available for Clerics and Paladins if they want them for the cost of a feat. They remain freely granted for FvS. The stats have been slightly improved to give more bonuses and give them at earlier levels.
    • As previously seen on Lamannia, Clerics and Paladins now choose a deity to worship at level 1 as a feat, similar to Favored Souls. Old religious enhancements for Clerics, Paladins and Favored Souls such as Unyielding Sovereignty are now freely granted at level 6 as feats.
    • Enhancement Pass:
    • Kensei has gained Haste Boost and Extra Action Boosts.
    • The non-functional, non-takeable feat version of Ten Thousand Stars is no longer be listed as an option for monks taking their sixth level.
    • Spell Critical: All Spell Critical Chance enhancement are giving incorrect numbers
    • Fixed a number of Bard bugs, including:
    • - Ironskin Chant stacking with itself
    • - Ironskin Chant not using Bard Songs
    • - Ironskin Chant being breakable mid-song
    • - Skaldic Rage not scaling based on song duration
    • - Bard Action Boost: Sprint being a Bard Song instead of an Action Boost (really?)
    • Dwarven Iron Stomach has been changed to granting Remove Poison/Remove Disease/Heroism whenever the user drinks anything.
    • Created the "new" Words of Encouragement, which works like the "Old" Bard Rallying Cry.
    • The "Old" Bard Rallying Cry is now the new Bard Rallying Cry! It works just like the PDK one.

Busy times here. Please try this stuff out on Lama land when it goes live. We do have a time to fix and adjust even more so the feedback is very helpful. Help us make the game you want to play.
    Other random thoughts:

My oldest son is on the verge of winning his 3rd little league championship.

My youngest son is enjoying this . Never too early for Dungeons and Dragons. Getting ready for the 40th anniversary by helping create the next generation of players.

Bruins in 6. If the Bruins win our sister studio in Chicago owes us Deep Dish Pizza. If B's lose, we owe them lobster.

Rough days for a Pats fan. Dumb TE, Broken TE and Tebow all in a week. GAH.

Have a great weekend! Maj.

Awesome. But we need the character ropy cleared so we can test.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Default Suggestion for posting enhancements

Hey Major, thanks for the update! Would it be feasible for a developer to post, in text form, what the enhancements are *supposed* to be? It would make bug reporting a lot easier when we players go try this stuff out on Lammania.

What about paladin/ranger devotion enchantments?

How has that been worked in?

The tier 5 thingy sounds like a good call, can't wait to see it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    Hey Major, thanks for the update! Would it be feasible for a developer to post, in text form, what the enhancements are *supposed* to be? It would make bug reporting a lot easier when we players go try this stuff out on Lammania.
    yes, please. A text listing would be great.

DDO Producer

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    We will work on that. I need to make sure what we have is up to date.

Community Member

tier 5 costs less total points to access. the tradeoff is you can only take tier 5's from one tree, but you can take as many as you want in that tree. Choose wisely.
    Great compromise. I got the feeling that was the intention of having them cost over 40 total AP to access. Lowering the cost allows for more character options while creating an explicit '1 tier 5 tree' limitation allows you to put cool stuff into the T5's without worrying about players stacking several trees thanks to the lowered costs.

I'm really surprised about the 6 trees thing and have to say that should definitely address everyone's multi-classing issues.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Any word/clarification/reasoning on the worst enhancements alpha blemish:

No FVS melee tree... FVS melee enh gone... FVS stuck borrowing a lame (though maybe better now) cleric tree. But still a cleric domain tree.

I mean if we didn't see everything Eladrin talked about in his Divine Avenger post 2 years ago being technically in some form of ED abilities I might go with the "we don't have the tech"... but right now... it just kind of seems FVS have no melee tree because systems is too busy with iconics and keeping two enhancement builds going at once.

If you need more surveys, bugs, forum posts to push this onto design I will whip up and pay-off an FVS bandwagon. I mean... not like a Miami bandwagon... stuck with no hope outside their stadium as their team wins in OT. Unless ofc you're saying the doors are closed on the FVS melee and there's no getting into the first redo release.

Also... go Bruins... and thanks for the post MajMal.... communication always appreciated... even if it's telling me healers shouldn't be swinging until the 2016 update with 3 trees per class.
    Last edited by Gratch; 06-21-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post

Liking what I see so far! It probably won't be enough for the "kill the entire enhancement pass with fire" crowd, but this sounds like you're directly addressing some of the biggest concerns most of us had.

If this is done well and done right, it will go a long way towards restoring credibility. Looking forward to testing it out!
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

And what's the deal with Racial PREs?

Community Member

[*]tier 5 costs less total points to access. the tradeoff is you can only take tier 5's from one tree, but you can take as many as you want in that tree. Choose wisely.[*]You can now take up to 6 class trees
    Since multi-class can access 6 trees now, is there any chance that pure classes will be allowed to purchase tier 5 abilities from multiple trees? Unless alot of boosting of power happened for the level 20 Core abilities for many of the prestige classes, the advantage seems to have swung completely back to multiclass splashes, with these changes.

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    Since multi-class can access 6 trees now, is there any chance that pure classes will be allowed to purchase tier 5 abilities from multiple trees? Unless alot of boosting of power happened for the level 20 Core abilities for many of the prestige classes, the advantage seems to have swung completely back to multiclass splashes, with these changes.
    Pure classes still have capstones. Not all of the capstones are great and many could definitely use a boost, but from a basic design standpoint I think capstones should still give plenty of incentive to go 20 in a single class.
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

[TABLE="width: 449"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: left"]Happy end of the week! Next week-ish (depending on build stability exc) we will be rolling out the second look at the Enhancements revamp. There has been a ton of work done--something north of 600 issues addressed.
    • tier 5 costs less total points to access. the tradeoff is you can only take tier 5's from one tree, but you can take as many as you want in that tree. Choose wisely.
    • Clerics have had design work done.
    • Bard Warchanter has a bunch of design work done
    Woot, woot, please be functional...don't play bards, but woot anyway?

• Amaunator can now be chosen as a deity for Forgotten Realm characters.

snip a bunch of stuff about enhancements
    Looks good. Are kensei seeker and tactics boosts back to live levels?

The six tree thing has me excited, except i don't have that many multiclass toons. Maybe my barb/rogue/ranger will get brought back out...

Busy times here. Please try this stuff out on Lama land when it goes live. We do have a time to fix and adjust even more so the feedback is very helpful. Help us make the game you want to play.
    Yes sir, Major Malphunktion. Any chance you could be promoted to Colonel Malphunktion for bravery in facing the forum?

Other random thoughts:

My oldest son is on the verge of winning his 3rd little league championship.
    Congrats!

My youngest son is enjoying this . Never too early for Dungeons and Dragons. Getting ready for the 40th anniversary by helping create the next generation of players.
    My daughter is very proud of her druid character sheet for when we have gaming sessions . Congrats on being an excellent parent.
    Thelanis - Dragons of the Shire
    Naeryna (Sun Elf 24 FvS Evoker) // Dianocia (Drow 11 Buckler o' Swashes) // Valissia (Elf 22 Shiradi Druid)
    Nae haz a story. Go read it.

Default My bags are full!

Hey a Maj, any word on if inventory space (or lack thereof) is being looked into? Seems like every big update adds more and more components for my bags, and with ED TR the game is becoming more and more TR focused, meaning i need to bank low level gear as well (which allot of which is now BTC!). Not to mention spell components on casters (should really just delete these).

Please help!
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 39/39, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

This is great news. Heres what I'll be looking at when I get around to testing some builds out:

• Will it be feasible for deep multiclass builds to make meaningful choices in 5 trees after spending the bare minimums for tier 5 and racial enhancements
    • Will pure class 'capstones' be worth giving up access to 3 whole trees
    • Will 1 level splashes be too strong or too weak due to the answers to the above 2 questions
    • Will racial enhancements costs hurt multiclassing due to AP constraints
    • And of course, will all this lead to more or less viable build paths

1 more slightly unrelated question: Will there be more dexterity buffs available in game (to compete with rage, rams might, madstone, primal scream, etc...) to make the dex builds viable? It just seems silly that you can put all build and racial points into dexterity, then buff your 12 base strength higher...
    Thelanis Thylus Thelassir Kjeldorn Ingrisstohr Khaarnath Lyriah Byrron Grunzo Thylandras Kharandras Thylandar Mallachias Kharnofski Grunzar Thyax Kharnoth Ghallanda Lykanthar Kharnor Thelanar Kharnaxe Kharnoth
    Khyber Gimpo

The six tree thing is a welcome fix to the three tree limitation. Kudos on that.

Points Spent in Tree is what limits build variety, though, and that appears to still be the central gating mechanism. This is what drives many of the "nuke it from orbit" opinions. (The other main issue is that classes need "core class" trees that aren't prestige specific. Like ranger favored enemy enhancements, for example.)

I'm going to pretend that you didn't forget to give devotion back to rangers, and that paladin devotion isn't limited to the sacred defender tree, because those two issues are so infuriating I can't even comprehend not addressing them.

I look forward to the cleric revamp. Pro tip: If cleric trees still don't have spell penetration and divine might, people will likely still hate them.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Pardon me asking again (not sure he's seen my question late in the game as they were in the other thread so I'll try again)

What is the Lore affix going to become? I have 2 parked characters, I don't want to waste a tome of legend on a Skiver if Greater Lore is going to become something weak.

Can you guys please reconsider nerfing spell crits? You're doing that because of high level casters with ED's but everyone below 25 is just getting straight up hobbled by it, making a nuker caster no fun to play.

Community Member

UGH! Double Post.
    Last edited by oradafu; 06-21-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dejafu View Post
    Pure classes still have capstones. Not all of the capstones are great and many could definitely use a boost, but from a basic design standpoint I think capstones should still give plenty of incentive to go 20 in a single class.
    In theory, the level 20 Core ability (aka capstone) should be incentive enough to stay pure. But when the upcoming enhancements were revealed, very few were worth stay pure. That's why I mentioned that a major boost to the the Core abilities had better be in the works. As of right now, giving up access to 2 to 4 additional trees and feats (such as Evasion or Divine Grace to name two commonly sought feats when splashing) seems awfully silly for most of the level 20 Core abilities as they were presented last time. If there's little or minor changes to those abilities, having access to all tier 5 abilities should be on the table for pure classes. (Personally, I'd rather have the level 20 core abilities boosted, but I doubt it'll happen after seeing many of them from the last peek we had.
    Last edited by oradafu; 06-22-2013 at 03:18 AM. Reason: ugh! number change

ty for the fix on kensai haste and action boost. that is really good. Is there any word on tactics like trip, sunder and stunning blow being put back in?
    They were missing last pass and iam sure it was oversight

Congrats on sons 3rd little league champ. That is really cool and I bet a bunch of fun to watch

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast