Community Member

Default Before Downlading

Hey guys. I've been searching for an adequate MMORPG to play during summer, and I've finally ended up (after a lot of failed attempts at searching for one) at DDO. I've played LOTRO for quite some time now, so I'm not a complete stranger to Turbine, but I've never played D&D or DDO before (unless reading Order of the Stick is considered knowing about Dragons and Dungeons :P). Well, before I install the game, I have a few questions. All help would be appreciated :)

1. How "Free" is this game? This is one of my main concerns. Is it more like "free until a certain level where it becomes P2W" or "Free if you grind a bit" or "Free if you grind a LOT", or perhaps "Free except for certain convenience items which seem awesome to have but cost real money"? Or is it something else entirely? And if it's about grinding, is it actually possible to gain enough Turbine points to get the raw expansions (or whatever is necessary to advance) without being "that" legendary grinder?

2. Is there any 'Spellsword' build in this game? I've been searching a bit around, and it seems that this is a popular idea and build, but hasn't seen any real use because it's not very good. Is there any possibility of introducing a spellsword-like class later on?

3. I like Paladins, and find that a lot of Paladins kinda play like a Spellsword - so, are Paladins in this game like "Warriors that attack with swords and can use light spells and healing" or "Super-tanks that can heal themselves"? How about Bards? I've heard that they match a Spellsword style, but they kind of sound lame (sorry if that's rude Bardfans :P) so I just want some opinions on what classes play like a Spellsword

4. I'm pretty sure my System Requirements can match the game, but seeing as how my laptop is sometimes prone to overheating (HP laptops >_>) is this game particularly CPU intensive? I mean, are there any parts where a good gaming laptop starts to feel overheated (e.g. a boss fight with a lot of action going on, ect.) and are they pretty common?

5. If I'm in the middle of a dungeon or whatever, and I have to go for a few minutes (I know, bad manners) to do something, with like a party, is that OK? I've seen some games where players would kick you out if you're inactive for more than a couple of minutes. How long are most dungeons anyways? I know some are longer than others, but is the normal time for each closer to 20 minutes or 2 hours?

6. If I download the game now, is there still a lot of people in the starting areas to easily find an adequate group with with to raid? What I mean, is the DDO population rising, staying the same, or even slowly declining?

7. Are all the starting areas (Elf/Dwarf/Humans/etc.) the same or are they different like LOTRO's system? If they are, which is the most common race to take?

8. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being "drabber and greyer than LOTRO equipment" and 10 being "so flashy and colorful it burns your eyes equipment" how good/bad do most of the equipment look like?

9. In your opinion, is this game truly fun? I know there's a lot of ups and downs to any game, but is it a good enough game that you keep on coming back and believe you will play in a year or two?

Sorry if there's a lot of questions. They just keep on pouring out :P . Well, thanks a lot if you can help me with any of these :)

EDIT: It seems I've accidentally posted two duplicate threads. I'm not sure how to delete either, so if another dev or mod could do so it would be nice. Sorry!
    Last edited by Elementerm; 06-21-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementerm View Post
    Hey guys. I've been searching for an adequate MMORPG to play during summer, and I've finally ended up (after a lot of failed attempts at searching for one) at DDO.[...]
    Welcome to DDO!

1. How "Free" is this game?
    There are a lot of free to play quests until level 10. You get 2 characters per server for F2P. You can grind favor to gain Turbine Points which will let you buy adventure packs and the expansion last year; but its a lot of grinding for that one. The newest expansion cannot be purchased with Turbine Points at the moment. It will probably be purchasable after Thanksgiving this year.

Even with minimal $9.99 DDO Starter pack will get you premium status which will get you 4 character slots to store more items.

2. Is there any 'Spellsword' build in this game?
    There is no Spellsword class per se. There is an Eldritch Knight Prestige Class in classic D&D but its not implemented in DDO. Oh yeah, there is also the Spellsword Prestige in the complete warrior handbook but not implemented in DDO. However, there is the Tukaw built which was on the multi-class forums if you dig around. If you True Reincarnated your character with the Fighter Past Life and then into a sorcerer, for example, you can experience both casting and fighting with the Active Fighter Past Life. With Splashing 2 Paladin levels and 2 monk (or rogue) levels you can turned yourselves into a pretty good Spellsword.

Also, with some spells like Tensor's Transformation, Divine Power clickies, Rage,Haste; these will turn your multi-class Sorcerer into a good Spellsword like character.

3. I like Paladins, and find that a lot of Paladins kinda play like a Spellsword - so, are Paladins in this game like "Warriors that attack with swords and can use light spells and healing" or "Super-tanks that can heal themselves"? How about Bards? I've heard that they match a Spellsword style, but they kind of sound lame (sorry if that's rude Bardfans :P) so I just want some opinions on what classes play like a Spellsword
    Both Paladins and Bards can self heal and have some form of spells, with Paladin a subset of the divine spells and Bard a subset of the arcane spells, with some unique abilities like songs which cannot be de'buffed. They can be a lot of fun according to some forumites. Currently, they are perceived by the DDO community to be weaker classes due to a lot of DPS number crunchers on the forums.

4. I'm pretty sure my System Requirements can match the game, but seeing as how my laptop is sometimes prone to overheating (HP laptops >_>)[...]
    The game can be. If your laptop is over 2 years old, you may want to consider upgrading. Also, putting in a SSD (Solid State Disk) or having more than 2GB of memory helps a lot... Also, make sure your graphics card is at least in the High End category on this list if you want to turn to Very High or Ultra High graphics settings.

5. If I'm in the middle of a dungeon or whatever, and I have to go for a few minutes (I know, bad manners) to do something, with like a party, is that OK?
    I think you better inform the party leader right after joining a quest. This can be perceived as piking and you may be kicked. If you did it a few times enough, you may be squelched or even black listed.

You may be better solo'ing in this case.

6. If I download the game now, is there still a lot of people in the starting areas to easily find an adequate group with with to raid? What I mean, is the DDO population rising, staying the same, or even slowly declining?
    I think still a lot of people in the starting areas due to reincarnation (TR).

7. Are all the starting areas[...]
    same

8. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being "drabber and greyer than LOTRO equipment" and 10 being "so flashy and colorful it burns your eyes equipment" how good/bad do most of the equipment look like?
    Most of the equipment is very shinny; and some of them even power creeping compared to normal D&D.

I would rate it a 9 or a 10.

9. In your opinion, is this game truly fun? I know there's a lot of ups and downs to any game, but is it a good enough game that you keep on coming back and believe you will play in a year or two?
    I think it is fun; I have been playing it for 7 years.
    Last edited by Tyrande; 06-21-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: add Tensor's information

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

How "Free" is this game?
    It's completely free if you grind A LOT. If you never intend to spend any money at all on it, the grind is prohibitive. If you could handle a single $35 purchase, that grind evaporates to trivial.

is this game particularly CPU intensive?
    No, you should be fine.

How long are most dungeons anyways?
    5-30 minutes in a group.

is the DDO population rising, staying the same, or even slowly declining?
    Declining, but there are still people in the starter area, which is a single starter area for all races and classes.

how good/bad do most of the equipment look like?
    As drab as drab gets.

In your opinion, is this game truly fun?
    Incredibly. It's fun enough that I expect to be playing for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementerm View Post
    I've played LOTRO for quite some time now, so I'm not a complete stranger to Turbine, but I've never played D&D or DDO before....
    You should know that DDO is nothing at all like LOTRO. If you want to play a "D&D" game that looks, feels and plays like LOTRO you should give Neverwinter a look. The two have so much in common that players will be able to somewhat seamlessly transition.

Of course, IMO both are inferior games designed for those who don't really have the D&D mind-set. They are MMORPGs designed for a younger player base. DDO has the look and feel of a true D&D RPG just translated to the MMORPG setting. You have real control over your character, you don't "win" by having the best, baddest gear, you play against the environment and not one another. This is both a blessing and a curse because the typical MMORPG audience is looking for the flower sniffing and uber leet game play where they can lord it over the new players.

That isn't DDO.

DDO rewards players who can work together. Most quests are soloable (but not all) and some character classes can be designed to just about run any content without help. But, that isn't the real goal of DDO. Working together in groups is almost always more efficient than running things solo and 5 or 6 less than optimal characters can often succeed where 1 optimal character might fail.

Part of DDO involves finding ways to build characters to be able to fit into both scenarios -- able to solo if necessary but able to work well in groups as well.

Unlike many other games, there is no true "winning" in DDO. In theory you "win" if you level a single character thru every available character class. But, this isn't usually a summer's worth of gaming as most people spend weeks or even months working a character to level cap -- a requirement before "reincarnating" to a new class (or the same one again if you want).

In any case, you should know up front that LOTRO is nothing like DDO. Interface, controls, environment, game play are all different.

And, DDO is by far the superior game.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Hi, welcome to DDO.

1. Check out the newbie guide, the account comparison page, and the list of F2P quests to get a sense of how much you can play without spending a dime. It is possible to earn Turbine Points (TPs) through Favor; in theory enough to unlock everything you need. In practice, I think it's best to presume you'll wind up spending some money on the DDO Store if you play long enough - for adventure packs & other account options if nothing else - unless you really have nothing better to do with your time than farm for Favor to earn TPs (and there are guides on how to do that if you're interested). But the good news is you can spend a lot of time playing DDO with just the F2P content to decide if you like it enough before opening your wallet.
    2. Spellswords - aka gishes - are possible in DDO; however, there is no class dedicated to that role. DDO has a much more flexible character creation system than most MMOs, which opens up a lot of creative build options. [The only other MMO I've played which comes close is Rift; but it still groups classes - sorry, "souls" - into distinct categories which don't mix.] Unfortunately, it also opens up a lot of ways to gimp oneself if you don't know what you're doing. So it's a good idea to do one's homework before starting a character, particularly if you want to try an unconventional build. Coming to the forums was a good first step.
    3. Paladins are a melee class, with a solid mix of DPS, survivability, limited healing, and some buffs (no offensive spells, though, unless you count Turn Undead); they can be specced for either DPS or tanking, though their DPS is not as good as, say, a barbarian. Bards are probably the most versatile class in DDO and one of my favorites: they get bardsongs, which can be used to buff the party and CC enemies; access to various spells (mostly buffs, heals, and CC, with a couple minor DPS spells); and a lot of flexibility in terms of whether you focus on melee, ranged, healing, and/or CC. Their biggest drawback is probably resisting the temptation of spreading yourself too thin and being sub-par in a lot of things rather than great in a couple.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!