Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Forums log out way too quickly

There's been some nice little updates to our new forums, and they're looking a bit more polished. I still would like to see a few more themes added though.

The biggest thing that is bugging me right now though is the Log Out time here on the forums. I log in, browse for a while, check out another site for a bit, and when I come back I'm logged back out. This is particularly frustrating if I was doing a bit of research prior to making a post. I usually end up just not making the post at all. Especially since logging in to the forums does not even save the thread I was looking at, instead shuttling me back to the main page.

I miss the old forums where I could log in once, and stay logged in for months and months. If I wanted to make a post, it was as easy as hitting the reply button and I did not have to jump through any hoops.

Anyone else getting annoyed by the fast log out times on the forums? (I understand if you don't post due to being logged out. )
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
    There's been some nice little updates to our new forums, and they're looking a bit more polished. I still would like to see a few more themes added though.

The biggest thing that is bugging me right now though is the Log Out time here on the forums. I log in, browse for a while, check out another site for a bit, and when I come back I'm logged back out. This is particularly frustrating if I was doing a bit of research prior to making a post. I usually end up just not making the post at all. Especially since logging in to the forums does not even save the thread I was looking at, instead shuttling me back to the main page.

I miss the old forums where I could log in once, and stay logged in for months and months. If I wanted to make a post, it was as easy as hitting the reply button and I did not have to jump through any hoops.

Anyone else getting annoyed by the fast log out times on the forums? (I understand if you don't post due to being logged out. )
    A way I've found to get around the go-to-homepage-when-you-log-in problem is to use the 'reply with quote' button, which is still there even if you aren't logged in. This way, the log in screen takes me back to the thing to make my post in (and if I didn't want to quote anything, I just clear the quote from the text box ) Hope this alleviates at least a bit of frustration on you and maybe others.
    Because DDO content is created by hand, some issues cannot be fixed with a global change. We must fix these issues one-by-one by hand with the help of bug reports. This includes:
    Ladder issues: please include the /loc when reporting a ladder issue

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default Coldin you are late to the dance

This has been talked about ad nauseum since May 1.

What is really good is when your post is too long, shows as being auto saved, yet, you are logged out while you are typing.

Best to make your posts like a twitter post. Short.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

For the login issue, the back button is your friend (at least if you're using Chrome - I can't say this works in other browsers).

1. Type your post.
    2. Submit and get the login screen
    3. Login
    4. Back twice, Chrome, if you didn't know, preserves the contents you typed in text input fields (this is something IE didn't do for the longest time, no idea whether it does now) when you use the "back" functionality.
    5. Submit again.
    6. Success.

If you don't trust the browser, just Crtl-A + C your text input field contents and paste it whenever you get back to an editor.

Everyone should be using Chrome anyhow

I've never experienced this issue, I assume it's because of the OS and browser I'm using.

The sheer amount of threads started on a daily basis about it makes me imagine you folks affected by it must be a hair away from rioting though.

For what it's worth, Cordovan did say in a thread about the same topic just this morning that they're working on the issue. Still on the first page of "Today's Posts" actually.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Time for a forum rollback!!!

For some reason the new forums cause more eye strain, so i read and post less...

im sure the devs could care less...

Oh and where the hell is just the reply button... i only ever see reply with quotes... i dont wanna!!!!!

ok now my head hurts....

Down with the Union!!!!!
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM