Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

I have used this app to set those four executables, and was able to log in on my first attempt for the first time in many months. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by FrostBeard View Post
    Why should i need to install 3rd party programs and hacks to my pc. many other online games don't have these issues.
    Because those other games are likely large memory aware, while DDO is not.

Ive seen claims that it is, but those are contradictory to it hitting a 2gb wall before telling the OS to ignore that and use 4GB which is what a 32 bit app will be limited to inherantly.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Because those other games are likely large memory aware, while DDO is not.

Ive seen claims that it is, but those are contradictory to it hitting a 2gb wall before telling the OS to ignore that and use 4GB which is what a 32 bit app will be limited to inherantly.
    Actually, dndclient.exe is compiled with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag and, to the best of my knowledge, has been for at least the last 18 months which is when I first started investigating its status. If you use the application mentioned in the OP, you will find the LAA flag is already set as is the "original" flag. That means DUMPBIN was also specified at compile time which is the one of the few ways to determine what the original compiler switches were. This is not to say that the devs actually use any VirtualMalloc calls, but the capability is there.

Ironically, LAA may be a reason many players experience connection timeouts when starting the game. On a box a box with 4Gb or less, virtual memory may be enlisted before the game is finished loading causing severe disk thrashing as the computer simultaneously loads assets and swaps to disk. The game will eventually start, but the connection could have timed-out before it finishes. On subsequent starts the cache is primed and the game will load much faster provided the machine is not powered off between sessions. Of course HD speed, initial free RAM and other factors come into play, but activating LAA may not be the magic bullet for which everyone hopes.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what the app does and what others claim DDO is capable of already, but windows may need to be tweaked.

So, any 32-bit windows needs to update the IncreaseUserVA flag, the method depending on the version.

64-bit OS can already address and allocate more than 2 GB RAM, if the program is capable. So, assuming DDO is already capable, then we should see it using more than 2 GB of RAM anyways...which should be easy to verify, right?

Community Member

I always see this issue after a few character swaps unless I enable XP SP3 Compatability for Turbinelauncher.exe which disables DX10/11

So i'll give this a go and report back if it works or not for me. Would be nice to not have to cripple the game just to be able to play it properly. Thanks

Default Testing

Testing system: 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate with 4 GB RAM, 512 MB allocated to AMD APU for graphics.

So, without using LAA, My peak VM usage was 2,282,812 K, which I think is slightly more than 2 GB. Not certain if that is the valid number though, but I'd assume allocated memory is allocated memory, regardless if physical or virtual.

Also, after using LAA, the DDO launcher downloaded the 3 other exe files again, and they were no longer marked LAA. Though as others have noted, dndclient is large address aware.

I think the big help will be for those people using 32-bit vista or xp, and tweaking their memory management to make it more LAA friendly, which this program does nothing to address.

Ok well i gave this a try today and it is pointless because the patcher just overwrites the files with new versions every time and resets what the application does. I will try out a memclean

I am getting alot of video/stuttering after several hours of play and character swapping.

Meh, I only have 2 GB of memory

Community Member

Default Does this work with Windows 8?

Just wondering, I'm going to try it anyway. Thank you for putting this up and thanks to all for providing additional info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12