Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default memory leak begone and other memory issues

***EDITED***

so il try to make this as short and sweet as i can.

this wont realy fix the memory leak at its core but it will alow for ddo to use more memory so you shouldnt feel its effects as bad and it will also let ppl with lower end computers to get better preformance.

disclaimer

u must have 3 or 4 gigs of ram 2 do this depending on if you are 32 bit or 64 bit. no problems should arise from doing this and if there are it should be user error. i am not held responcible for any problems ppl think have come from them doing this.

see known issues at the bottom.

most every program is set to a max usage of 2 gigs of memory, it has been this way for a very long time. this is part of the reason why high mem video cards are important in the video gaming world. its posible to change that with some games and some games 2day are coming out with that change. however older games such as DDO are not set that way.

DDO is an older game by programing standards and with all of the updates over the years the requirements needed from your computers hardware has increased.

iv figured out a fix that everyone can enjoy if you are willing to follow a few simple steps.

this fix will alow one of two things. if you have a 32 bit operating system it will alow the max mem usage of ddo to go from 2 gigs - 3 gigs.
    if you have a 64 bit operating system then it will take your max mem usage for ddo from 2 gigs - 4 gigs.

if you dont know how to check if you are 32 bit or 64 bit its as simple as going to control panel then to system. you can find the info within the window that pops up when you click on system.

also if you are savvy enough the keycode on ur tower or laptop works as a 32 or 64 bit keycode so long as ur still running the same type of operating system. example 32 bit windows 7 home prem and 64 bit windows 7 home prem are the same type.

FOR 64 BIT USERS

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112556

take that link, at the bottom of the first post u should see..... attached files laa 2 0 4.zip

you want to download that and unzip it with winrar or something like it into a folder. you will get a icon that says large address aware. its a very easy to use program and for ppl that feel u need a visual aid for using said program there are pictures on the link above.

next open the program large address aware by right clicking and clicking run as admin.

step one
    click on the box with 3 ... on the right hand side and a window will open where you need to go to OS(C/Program Files (x86)/turbine/DDO Unlimited
    in that folder you will want to select four icons.... dndclient.exe...... dndlauncher....... TurbineInvoker.exe...... TurbineLauncher.exe......

step two
    is just clicking on the check box to make sure the icon you have selected is flaged. make sure the check mark in the box.

step three
    just hit save and you are done.

FOR 32 BIT USERS

if you are using windows 7
    Open command prompt with Adminitrator rights. To do this, go to Programs, Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator."

Enter the following at the prompt and press enter
    bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

you will have to restart your computer

then follow the steps above for the 64 bit users.

if you are running something other then windows 7 go to the link above and there will be info on how to set it up.

known issues

you must flag all four .exe listed above not just dndclient or it will make load screens longer for some reason.

actualy download the large address aware file in the link above not just open it with your browser. it can cause the ddo client to restart over and over.
    reason being the large address aware program will not properly close.

doing some trouble shooting with a guidly it turns out that dndclient.exe is already flaged by turbine for large address aware but iv been testing this and it seems that they may not have flaged it right. i have noticed a higher mem usage and there has been to many reports of faster load times and higher frame rates. also it only shows flaged in the advanced section of the program but not the basic.

i have tested this with alot of other games on my computer and found a number of games already flaged that are also preflaged in the basic mode which makes me believe turbines flag may not be working as intended.

enjoy.
    Last edited by shadepalm-of-argo; 06-23-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    Shadepalm~bigshadey~shadypewpews~lilinara~arcanego lem~mrcure

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadepalm-of-argo View Post

FOR 32 BIT USERS

if you are using windows 7
    Open command prompt with Adminitrator rights. To do this, go to Programs, Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator."

Enter the following at the prompt and press enter
    bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

you will have to restart your computer

then follow the steps above for the 64 bit users.

if you are running something other then windows 7 go to the link above and there will be info on how to set it up.

Thanks for the post, will give it a shot.

Btw, I believe I saw a post for this before on someone's myddo screen page although they did not use the application, I believe it was just a change from the command prompt. Is the application necessary to make it work, I would go back and look at that page but I believe it is gone since they took away the site.
    Last edited by moo_cow; 06-21-2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: I don't read so well when I'm tired

Quote Originally Posted by moo_cow View Post
    Thanks for the post, will give it a shot.

Btw, I believe I saw a post for this before on someone's myddo screen page although they did not use the application, I believe it was just a change from the command prompt. Is the application necessary to make it work, I would go back and look at that page but I believe it is gone since they took away the site.

there might be a way to do this though command prompt but if so i dont know but the program i posted is small and super easy to use.

Community Member

Using it atm. So far it hasn't crashed, but then I haven't rebooted yet.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Why should i need to install 3rd party programs and hacks to my pc. many other online games don't have these issues.

Here is my link for this issue.
    http://loreseekers.guildportal.com/G...picID=10301780
    You can do it manually. Also undo what you do. Hope this helps.
    Gum Shoe~Human Rogue Hackin Slash~Human Fighter
    Timkin~Human Sorc Aarone Stone~Human Bard
    Tarnaa~Human Favored Soul Alcaden~Human Paladin
    Tipsee McStagger~Halfling Rogue Brawwn~Half-Orc Barbarian

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrostBeard View Post
    Why should i need to install 3rd party programs and hacks to my pc. many other online games don't have these issues.
    Because you might like to swap characters more than a couple times without DDO getting more and more stuttery?

Why should you have to? You don't have to. You can wait for them to fix the memory allocation issue "leak" (might not want to hold your breath on that one it has existed since day 1) or you can circumvent it by closing DDO every time you swap characters, or you can do this and provide more of the resource that DDO doesn't quite do a good job of releasing. Up to you to decide which one is a better bet.

I started using this the other night.

I am using 64bit with 6GiB of RAM. I managed to swap between some 10 toons, did some banking and mail and was able to continue questing without having to reset my client.

Thank you Shadepalm for finding and sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostBeard View Post
    then go play a differnt game. making complaints like this doesn't change anything. either you like the game enough and want to play it or dont.

this thread is not a place for you to complain about the game.

Thumbs up Freaking Awesome!!

This increased my load in times to very little and caused some problem areas to suffer less lag skips on my side. Get this. You will be happy for it.

~Teliif~

In the meantime, I just use Cleanmem on a permanent basis which cleans up things every 5 minutes or I just click it myself when I (rarely) need it.

Download, install, set interval for cleaning and forget about it. Want any easier?
    Last edited by Aussir; 06-21-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussir View Post
    In the meantime, I just use Cleanmem on a permanent basis which cleans up things every 5 minutes or I just click it myself when I (rarely) need it.

Download, install, set interval for cleaning and forget about it. Want any easier?
    thats all well and good for helping to clean up the leak but it does not enable ddo to use more then 2 gigs of ur ram. the fix i posted here enables ddo to use an extra 1-2 gigs of ram depending on your OS and does more then stem the lag that comes from the memory leak it also speeds up load screens and alows for ppl that dont have high mem video cards to enjoy less lag playing the game.

as said in my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussir View Post

I use a tiny script myself titled Ramcleaner that I right click on and run as administrator.

The solution listed in the OP goes further and actually allows the game to use memory above 2 GiB, this helps to solve other issues as well.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

As I recall, the game was at one point compiled with /g3 compiler option to give it access above 2 gig. The problem is by default, most windows installs limit programs to 2 gig at max. (how the memory managment is setup)

BF3 was the first game I was aware of that figured this out, and the IncreaseUserVA variable that will resolve a lot, but not all of the issues faced with zone crashing.

However, reading through what little I could find, it would appear that the game may not be compiled with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE option (the default is NO.) which would (if I read it right) take care of the zone crashing inherently without 3rd party being necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by moo_cow View Post
    Btw, I believe I saw a post for this before on someone's myddo screen page although they did not use the application, I believe it was just a change from the command prompt.
    Correct. That was me. I referenced a BF3 page.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...89420350764/1/

Which at this stage, looks to have been disconnectedly lost much like DDO forums have become. The BF3 forumite who deserves the credit is striker475.

Sons of Valor seemed to have gotten half of the original BF3 fix. (Half because it was updated for Window OS of 7/Vista/XP, 64 and 32 bit.)
    http://sonsofvalour.forumotion.co.nz...eaks-and-fixes
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 06-21-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Default edited

read the known issues for more information i have added 3 more .exe to the list.

Community Member

"in that folder you will want to select four icons"

How? It is only allowing me to select 1 at a time?

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

RE: the OS using more RAM: This has been written up in Microsoft's support knowledge base for a very long time. I saw it a long time ago and decided I didn't want to mess with my OS in case it had other unwanted side effects since who knows how well it has been tested and vetted. My occurance of memory leaks is very rare so I can live with it.

As for clearing RAM, one reason I like the DDO Preloader for faster game loading is because he clears the cache befroe loading the files, and I'd wager the launcher and DDO app don't. They should consider adding such, if they can do so reliably, and that would clear up a lot of the recent loading issues.

EDIT: I wonder if it might have a beneficial side effect regarding the memory leaks in RAM-such as maybe using the virtual memory more efficiently or some other subtle, unforeseen positive impact...

***EDITED***
    so il try to make this as short and sweet as i can...
    enjoy.
    This tool significantly lessened my load times. I was also able to bounce from toon to toon without the lag bomb that would usually follow such switches.
    I thank you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by goldgolem View Post
    "in that folder you will want to select four icons"

How? It is only allowing me to select 1 at a time?
    cuz if you are using basic mode it will only let you do one at a time so just select flag save and repeat

alows for ppl that dont have high mem video cards to enjoy less lag playing the game.
    I don't really have issues with loading screens, zone crashes (I think I crashed in the desert maybe 3 times since its inception) or video card lag (my card digested the latest Tomb Raider without needing digesting aids ).
    The one time I had issues was after the ribbon update and those disappeared completely after one of the following DDO updates.

What I really need is something to sweep away all the clutter that DDO and awsomium like to produce and cleanmem does the job quite well as it frees up that memory (and file cache too) to be re-used immediately.

For players with higher end machines (doesn't have to be top of the crop, just better than "toasters"), cleanmem might be enough.
    Last edited by Aussir; 06-23-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast