Default Quivers, Bags, Folders.

So, it seems to be impossible to place arrows which are in my quiver onto a hotbar. That is, in order to have specific arrows on the bar, they have to be pulled out of the quiver. Is this WAI?

I would think a Ranger, (or any adventurer really), could reach to his waist (or back) and tell by the fletch which arrows he's grabbing. I'd think he'd have them organized into pockets, and I'd think he could whip out his weap of choice without looking. And yet our UI forces us to open our inventory, remove the arrows we want, and manually load them up? What would that look like in real life? He pulls the arrows out of his quiver where they belong, stuffs them into his backpack, and then starts fighting? Um, noooo.

Honestly, how is a Ranger to do his job well if he's messing around with his gear all the time? Yeah, it's really nice that I earned my new House D quiver, and yeah, I have a few special use bows to choose from, but If I've got monsterAs moving in on the party from one side, and monsterBs pewpewing them from above, I sure would like to be able to flash down to my hotbar and pick the appropriate bird for the job.

On a side note, all of our containers have this same problem it seems. Can't bring shards from the ingredient bag directly into the crafting station either, eh? Boo. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that hires can't be hotbared if they're in a hire-folder too?

Hey devs, would this be a really difficult thing to fix? Rangers already are getting the short end of the dev-love-stick... Little help?
    Last edited by B.Ogre; 04-25-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Devs need only read parts in RED
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

This is WAI. Its been that way for...3ish years now.

Devs have already told us they can't directly use anything out of the bag tech they designed (just ask the poor casters about lack of bags)

As for trying to use a real life example, that cracked me up. A real life ranger wouldn't carry tens of thousands of arrows, and would most certainly have to stop and sort through their stuff if they did.

All containers work that way and indeed can use some improvement.
    I don't think it has an easy fix, since bag space don't count as inventory space.

Maybe containers should count as inventory space, as if being extra bags.
    They can appear as extra tabs but you can only move the appropiate item to it.
    This way you can use the search ui, the sort ui, the hotbars, and easily move stuff around.
    The bag's stacking need be kept within the bag tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    As for trying to use a real life example, that cracked me up. A real life ranger wouldn't carry tens of thousands of arrows
    Nor would a group of four 'real life' adventurers have a hope of defeating tens of thousands of enemies per day, or carry 12 different trinkets, 10 Pairs of Boots, 5 Golden rings, 2 Suits of Armor and a Partridge. But we have interdimensional gateways, and portable holes, and bags of holding, and returning shuriken, and on and on. But in the SPIRIT of an archer and his quiver, the idea that he would have to rummage through his gear to get at his PRIMARY weapon of necessity... well, I'm hoping you see where I'm coming from without making fun of my analogies

Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    This way you can use the search ui, the sort ui, the hotbars, and easily move stuff around.
    Now THAT's a good suggestion. Curious why it wasn't implemented this way to begin with. Indeed, why code a whole 'nother storage system (bags) when they could have just added restricted tabs as per your suggestion... Clearly a better way to go.
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Level 18 for AAs you get Slaying arrows and Conjure +5 returning arrows. Why use anything else? I keep my quivers JUST for extra trash loot space when I loot arrows and bolts in raids....Quiver fills up...dump the contents and start over.

But I can definately understand where you are coming from. Perhaps one day they will re-write the code for the bags into something that works more like we would like to see but is expandable for future updates.
    The Misfit Toys
    Nerate, Tarene, Lupina, Satina, Throckmorton, Dramain, Yarka, Unka, Cryptstalker, Scurd, Steadyhanded, Zonaari

Armor Dye Kits?

Community Member

An important point that has been missed so far is that with U9 ingredients come directly out of your bags!!!

If it can be done with their new crafting system then why not with quivers? Makes sense to just expand the crafting tech (when they get rid of the bugs that were present on Lamania) to other bags too.

Community Member

Only lame solution I can think of right now is don't use quivers. Yeah that would suck specially since you cant stack arrows beyond what is it 100? And how many stacks of 100 are we expected to have in our inventory?

My other idea failed in that using a quiver per arrow type but the problem is any arrow you use goes in your use slot and you physically have to swap out for the correct arrow.

This is probably one of the many reasons why so many people play arcane archer.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    All containers work that way and indeed can use some improvement.
    I don't think it has an easy fix, since bag space don't count as inventory space.

Maybe containers should count as inventory space, as if being extra bags.
    The bag's stacking need be kept within the bag tab.
    This wouldn't work--some containers are bigger than the 20 spaces of inventory that is normally visible at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenpechtel View Post
    This wouldn't work--some containers are bigger than the 20 spaces of inventory that is normally visible at one time.
    scroll bar

On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Devs have already told us they can't directly use anything out of the bag tech they designed (just ask the poor casters about lack of bags)
    Funny, the collectors have no problem putting their grubby little fingers right into my collectibles bag and grabbing what they like.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNeed View Post
    An important point that has been missed so far is that with U9 ingredients come directly out of your bags!!!

If it can be done with their new crafting system then why not with quivers? Makes sense to just expand the crafting tech (when they get rid of the bugs that were present on Lamania) to other bags too.
    Either I'm doing something wrong, or this is incorrect. I cannot drag an item which is IN an ingredient bag directly into a crafting device. I must remove it from bag first.

Some of these points have been addressed, which is cool, but Arrow management has not. Would be nice to know if any progress is being made regarding arrow management. Also, naming bags would be great

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNeed View Post

When interacting with certain specific interfaces, mostly barter-type interfaces, they have developed some limited ability to access containers. Even this, though, comes with interface lag.

There is no access of any container via the game-gui to the best of my knowledge other that quivers populating arrow slots... again a *very* limited mech.

It would be great if a Dev would pop in and speak to the tech and what is feasible and not without a major redesign, though, as this is a frequently recurring topic.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Member

I think the Dev's response is going to be to redesign ranged combat in the EP so that arrow hotswapping is moot

Instead of having to select an arrow for breaking DR, etc., you'll just take AA and use one of the Core abilities to swap your arrow's properties (alignment, material, etc.) to whatever you need at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I think the Dev's response is going to be to redesign ranged combat in the EP so that arrow hotswapping is moot

Instead of having to select an arrow for breaking DR, etc., you'll just take AA and use one of the Core abilities to swap your arrow's properties (alignment, material, etc.) to whatever you need at the moment.
    It would be nice to fix this for non-AA ranged characters (I know that almost sounds like an oxymoron, but why "force" ranged toons into one PrE?)
    UDR Loot Rules:
    1) No griefing people for pulling loot that dropped in their name
    2) When rolling, classes for which the item is "useful" get +10 to the roll
    example: Wiz and Barb both roll on a Torc, the barb saying "I'm TRing into an arcane next week"
    Wiz gets +10 on his roll

Still annoying that clicking on a quiver on your hotbar opens it up instead of swapping it. Which I think would be a much easier thing to program, since we're not actually trying to access anything inside the quiver.

Doesn't fix the whole problem, but it will help. Also there are 3 quivers (maybe even more in the future) that do more than just holding arrows, so even AAs would want to switch in some situations.

AA's like mine also use quivers to hold DR breaking arrows. So this is their problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeebaNeighba View Post
    Still annoying that clicking on a quiver on your hotbar opens it up instead of swapping it. Which I think would be a much easier thing to program, since we're not actually trying to access anything inside the quiver.

Doesn't fix the whole problem, but it will help. Also there are 3 quivers (maybe even more in the future) that do more than just holding arrows, so even AAs would want to switch in some situations.

AA's like mine also use quivers to hold DR breaking arrows. So this is their problem too.
    correct. I'd +1 you, but it seems you were also my last +1 from the 'stop kiting' thread.

Here's a solution instead of the sturdy arrows the house d guy sells now, you sell 100% returning arrows with variants for all metal types. We could keep them in the back pack and hotbar them. They could sell them for a **** load of plat to balance it, and they could still be breakable via damage like normal arrows. We just wouldn't have to be carrying 5 billion arrows anymore for a night of questing. (apply this to bolts too)