Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Wizard/Cleric multiclass

The wizards inscribe feat is pretty nice and useful but, if you multiclass with cleric can you inscribe divine scrolls, I assume no but there is always a thought in the back of my head that it might be possible does anyone know if this is possible?
    If there is anything you know about it or multiclassing wizard and cleric. any reviews, opinions, facts, anything would be useful to help me decide if I want to multiclass wizard with cleric.

Thanks for your time.

[QUOTE=frawracopter;5025937]
    The wizards inscribe feat is pretty nice and useful but, if you multiclass with cleric can you inscribe divine scrolls, I assume no but there is always a thought in the back of my head that it might be possible does anyone know if this is possible?
    [QUOTE]

Not only is it not possible, it isn't needed. Clerics automatically get all of their spells, and in a multi-class build, each spell casting class has its own spell book.

Quote Originally Posted by frawracopter View Post
    If there is anything you know about it or multiclassing wizard and cleric. any reviews, opinions, facts, anything would be useful to help me decide if I want to multiclass wizard with cleric.

Thanks for your time.
    It's not a good idea, and I don't recommend it. Not because it's a bad idea, but because there are so many other better ideas!
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Wiz 1 for the free feat or Wiz 2 for the enhancement bonus to force damage (Blade Barrier). Otherwise there is very little advantage to multiclassing more than that.

Caster multiclasses would require a Mystic Theurge type prestige class to be effective.

Community Member

Thanks you guys have saved me a lot of time.
    If you don't mind I have been looking for a way to make a wizard class with a pretty good defence before buffs and besides a pretty good score of con. Is it worth using light armor along with the Elven Arcane Fluidity enhancement?

If you don't mind I have been looking for a way to make a wizard class with a pretty good defence before buffs and besides a pretty good score of con. Is it worth using light armor along with the Elven Arcane Fluidity enhancement?
    It's been a coon's age since I had an elf caster who used the Elven Arcane Fluidity to be able to cast, so I will respectfully keep my outdated opinions to myself
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Short answer: not really.

Long answer: wizards typically have lousy AC, since arcane spell failure (ASF) curtails their armor options and they usually dump-stat DEX. ASF can be reduced or eliminated thru EAF or gear like Twilight armor; but it still takes some effort to get one's AC to useful levels (since DEX is still important) and a lot of caster-oriented gear comes only as robes. I've been trying to come up with an arcane caster build I like based on Shadowmail, which has no ASF and +120 Spellpower in one element, but nothing so far.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    ... I've been trying to come up with an arcane caster build I like based on Shadowmail, which has no ASF and +120 Spellpower in one element, but nothing so far.
    That does sound interesting... what about an "Undead machinegunner" kind of thing - Artificer / Palemaster ?

Wait, is this getting too far off the original topic already? Oh and besides I'm sure it wouldn't work anyway...
    Last edited by mna; 06-20-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    That does sound interesting... what about an "Undead machinegunner" kind of thing - Artificer / Palemaster ?
    Well, it's interesting you bring that up. See, one of the complaints about the toughest EE quests these days is mob saves are so ridiculously high it makes DC-based casting a serious PITA. So one of the latest "flavors of the month" are caster builds which focus on spamming no-save multi-hit spells like Chain Missiles or Ice Storm to exploit the random procs from Shiradi (e.g., the Mechadi Champion).

But as you can see, the Shiradi procs trigger on ranged atks as well as spells. So my idea is: why not exploit both by alternating between ranged & magic atks? The basis would be wiz 12 / Evo Archmage III for the spammable Magic & Chain Missiles. To that I would add either WF artificer or elf/HE AA. It's most likely terribly gimpy overall - or at least not as good as pure wiz just cycling thru their spells - but the flavor appeals to me. Minmaxing is so boring!

But as you say, we're getting way off from your original topic...
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTigerDawn View Post
    My +6 greater twilight plane forged full plate with a blue slot for 15 percent asf augment and sky vault tower shield says to me it is very doable with 2fighter splash.
    Interesting - did you craft the armor, or did you just get lucky with the loot drop or AH?

Another good option (next time CC opens) is T3 eCavalry Plate slotted w/-15% ASF. It's also got SFL, DR/5, Demonic Shield, and Resist +5, so it's got some nice survivability bonuses to it.

Community Member

My +6 greater twilight plane forged full plate with a blue slot for 15 percent asf augment and sky vault tower shield says to me it is very doable with 2fighter splash.

Not sure why elf is needed, as arcane fluidity at lvl 4 I hear is bugged.

Hope that helps...
    Khyber:
    Lunality, Sorcality, Tunality, Axation, Causation, Shurality, Desparality, Stingality and a few more...
    Behind every good melee there stands a row of 5 monkchers making the melee feel better.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

A light splash can be handy, eg. 1wiz for clerics to get the force enhancement & a bonus feat, and a 1cleric splash could have some potential for a fleshy wizard to get wand use, plus the ability to cast divine spells will allow you to take the empower healing feat which works on rejuvenation cocoon, a great twist once you hit epics & work your way round to it.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassJaw View Post
    Wiz 1 for the free feat or Wiz 2 for the enhancement bonus to force damage (Blade Barrier).
    You only need 1 Wiz and character level 2 to take the damage enhancement.