Question How much has the game changed since Amrath?

Hello,
    I haven't played in a couple of years - since Amrath was release... How much as the game changed since then? I totally forgot that the client's going to take about an hour to D/L

Cadamier

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    Hello,
    I haven't played in a couple of years - since Amrath was release... How much as the game changed since then? I totally forgot that the client's going to take about an hour to D/L

Cadamier
    Very difficult question to answer... Not because it's difficult to articulate, but because there has been so many changes. Would suggest you take a couple hours to read through the massive archives of release notes :-)

Try here first: Forum: Release Notes/Known Issues
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Amrath - that was when F2P launched, correct? Well, you can review the individual updates here, but the major changes off the top of my head:
    • Two new classes: Artificers and druids.
    • Level cap raised to 25. Epic levels (lvls 21-25) are classless.
    • Epic Destinies added.
    • Major overhauls to the combat system starting in U14: AC is no longer a linear miss chance (good - easier for almost everyone to have semi-useful AC; bad - 95% miss chance is pipe dream); Dodge is now a separate miss chance rather than a bonus to AC (good - always applies regardless of monster to-hit; bad - caps at 25% normally); and PRR replaced the old damage mitigation system (DR is still around, though). Spell Power replaced the old system for boosting spells; I find the new system cleaner & easier to deal with, but it nerfed caster DPS when it came out because bonuses are stacked additively, not multiplicatively.
    • First DDO expansion - Menace of the Underdark - released last summer, which moves the action to the Forgotten Realms (and Demonweb). Second expansion (Shadowfell) due in August.
    • Challenges were added.
    • New crafting systems were introduced, in particular Cannith & alchemical crafting.
    • Epic quests now offer variable difficulties (Normal/Hard/Elite), same as heroic quests.

Doubtless a ton of stuff I'm forgetting. But DDO is still a game about running around killing monsters & taking their stuff. So some things are eternal.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 06-21-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Amrath - that was when F2P launched, correct? Well, you can review the individual updates here, but the major changes off the top of my head:
    [LIST][*]Two new classes: Artificers and druids.
    And the associated quest packs: Vault of the Artificers, a new House Cannith and its associated quest packs.

There are also a couple of druid's type quest at Faerun and The Netherese type quests from the Harpers.

[*]First DDO expansion - Mysteries of the Underdark - released last summer, which moves the action to the Forgotten Realms (and Demonweb). Second expansion (Shadowfell) due in August.
    It was Menace of the Underdark, not Mysteries.

[...]
    Doubtless a ton of stuff I'm forgetting. But DDO is still a game about running around killing monsters & taking their stuff. So some things are eternal.
    Well, not all quests are running around and killing monsters and take their stuff... but those quests are rare.

For example, Hold For Reinforcements: Protecting the #1 idiot in DDO...

Enter The Kobold: Checking if you paid your fire insurance bills and if your insurance has enough coverage.

Acute Delirium: A really fun quest if you let your imaginations fly; but can be tedious and extremely painful if done on elite without good dancers...

Prove Your Worth, Acursed Acension, Monastery of the Scorpion: Puzzles and Traps.

In The Flesh: Twisted Art Appreciation Class...

Impossible Demands, House of Rusted Blades, House of the Undying, Jungles of Khyber: ED XP

Tomb of the Tormented: Rat race.
    Last edited by Tyrande; 06-21-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: punctuation

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    It was Menace of the Underdark, not Mysteries.
    Good catch - brain fart. Fixed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    Hello,

Cadamier
    Aside from the new content that has been outlined above from a gameplay perspective there are now a lot more powerful items and weapons. +3 tomes drop rather frequently and you're likely to get a +4 tome as well on your way up to 25. Random loot drop weapons are now equal or superior to the old greensteel weapons which were top tier when you were playing. End game before was all about devils where as now you will almost never fight devils. There is far less raiding now as opposed to what used to take place because raids no longer offer the best loot in the game. It's definitely a different game but there have been lots of nice additions, the crafting system, monster manuals, augment slots and epic destinies are just a few.