Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Will the repeat counter still get paused when you hit max xp? or, will destiny xp grinders have to plan out the repeat counter versus the reset timers...

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleFooz View Post
    Very soon we’ll be opening Lamannia with the newest version of Enhancements. Included in that version of the game code are several new features and changes coming to quest XP in the expansion. We wanted to highlight what’s coming with a very early write up, because the changes that you’ll see on Lamannia are not yet ready for testing, and include a lot of place-holder numbers. Today we wanted to talk about the changes so that you have some insight into what features are coming:

We’ve previously mentioned in our Reincarnation discussions that we’ll be reworking the XP curve to be less steep for 2nd and 3rd life reincarnations. Those curves will be ameliorated, so that the increase in XP needed to level isn’t such a drastic increase in the 15-20 range, and so that the lower level ranges require move XP to level.

One of the other changes we are working on for the upcoming Expansion release is a change to the way quest repetition XP penalty works. Currently whenever you repeat the same quest over and over, the XP degrades until the quest permanently gives little to no XP. With the Expansion, we will allow the penalty to reset after a grace period, similar to the way chest loot ransack works.

Next a new daily bonus is being added to quest completions. Every day, a quest will have a bonus added to the base XP value. Playing the quest on any difficulty level qualifies for this daily bonus.

Finally, we will be adding a new way to receive bonus XP: Sagas. New NPCs will be arriving in Eberron and Faerûn who chronicle the deeds of heroes across multiple story archs/adventure packs. By completing all the quests in a given Saga, you can speak with the Saga NPC to claim an extra reward such as a large one-time XP grant, guild XP, or even tomes. The quality of those rewards can also be influenced by running the quests on higher difficulties.

We are still refining what the final numbers will be for these changes and bonuses, and as we get closer to Expansion launch day we will go into greater detail. The version that will appear on Lamannia is not meant for testing, and is there merely because we have taken an early game build to continue Enhancements review with players. You’re welcome to provide feedback on what you see, but it is not something Lamannia participants should focus on because it is still a work in progress.

We hope you’ve enjoyed this early look, as we’d like to continue these types of posts to let players peek behind the DM screen a bit more ahead of Shadowfell Conspiracy.

- PurpleFooz
    Wow...I know I have read some of these ideas before on the forums, but to actually see them implemented is just awesome. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    OK, just stop! Calling me TrollusMaximus was Thrudh's best attempt at trying to say something funny in a long time, and now you are just going to ruin everything!
    Lol, even a blind squirrel finds a nut one in awhile
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

...much fun and interesting information...
    - PurpleFooz
    Having important game information posts such as these automatically picked up by the DEV tracker... and not just the Lama dev tracker would be cool! It might even motivate some more of us to go back to lamaland! Otherwise... well I don't usually check the lama dev tracker (downtime... uptime... not clicking chat.... etc) and had to wait to hear it from people in game before checking it out for myself...

IF you are going to do good, informative communication... why not do it loudly!!!
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

I think changing the XP for a quest so it does not stay permanently degraded is critical for new players and/or those who have difficulty finding groups - it relieves the "pressure" of feeling trapped. This was a major issue for me in the beginning and I felt very frustrated.

Please don't lower XP so much because of this that it negates the benefits of this change.

Also: Re Bravery Bonus, in my view is the biggest problem splitting players into class divisions on the LFM panel. Any changes that make TR's less likely to feel COMPELLED to run BB/Elite quests will only help the game as a whole - IMO.

Changes like this to the XP penalty system are one of the biggies for me...

Default The future's looking bright...where are my shades?

We’ve previously mentioned in our Reincarnation discussions that we’ll be reworking the XP curve to be less steep for 2nd and 3rd life reincarnations. Those curves will be ameliorated, so that the increase in XP needed to level isn’t such a drastic increase in the 15-20 range, and so that the lower level ranges require move XP to level.
    I'm hoping by the lower level ranges you mean 1-5. Maybe cutting in half 15-20's individual level xp requirement (TR multiplier) and doubling 1-5s would cut out farming(content)/pooling(experience) at the later levels and add in a reason to run other quests in the lower levels (I skipped all but STK and Sharn in the marketplace this life as well as most of House J).

One of the other changes we are working on for the upcoming Expansion release is a change to the way quest repetition XP penalty works. Currently whenever you repeat the same quest over and over, the XP degrades until the quest permanently gives little to no XP. With the Expansion, we will allow the penalty to reset after a grace period, similar to the way chest loot ransack works.
    Sweet! My TR buddy and I were just lamenting that running the Carnival, VoN, Sentinels, Red Fens and now Gianthold on heroic too much will cut out the benefits to xp they can bring in Epic. A side question though, will the Epic versions be able to count towards streak in the future? Many of the quests have a surprising difference in trap amounts and entirely new mobs added in Epic that lack in Heroic (all in developer attempts to make the experience for us fresh). Why not let that count for our streaks? (side note I three times this life went into a room on heroic elite looking for mobs I remembered being there in epic again).

Next a new daily bonus is being added to quest completions. Every day, a quest will have a bonus added to the base XP value. Playing the quest on any difficulty level qualifies for this daily bonus.
    Interesting. Could very randomly make for a pleasant surprise.

Finally, we will be adding a new way to receive bonus XP: Sagas. New NPCs will be arriving in Eberron and Faerûn who chronicle the deeds of heroes across multiple story archs/adventure packs. By completing all the quests in a given Saga, you can speak with the Saga NPC to claim an extra reward such as a large one-time XP grant, guild XP, or even tomes. The quality of those rewards can also be influenced by running the quests on higher difficulties.
    Finally! My guild mate and I have been commenting on this for quite a while now! An unasked for opinion...make the saga (quest chain completion) worth N25/H40/E80% of the total base XP for the chain (defaulting to the lowest common difficulty ran). [/QUOTE]

Ok all this mostly sounds good. But im not sure why you went to the trouble of this whole new system when you could have just fixed quest xp in level 18-20 quests. I don't remember hearing most people complain about levels 1-17 when they tr but EVERYONE COMPLAINS about amarath, cannith, iq xp. I am even ok with iq because most of the quests are quick and easy. But cannith and amarath on elite are grim endevers that should be rewarded accordingly. ALL you had to do was beef up the quest xp here and you would have sold more of these packs as well as make EVERYONE in this game happy. WHY do you guys refuse to acknowledge this? With all these changes 18-20 WILL still be brutal. Now everyone will just wait for xp timers on vale stuff to wear off so they can do running with devils 400 more times. GRRRRR!!! You guys are killing me with this stuff. FIXXX AMARATH AND CANNITH XP IMMEDIATLY AND STOP ALL THIS CLOWINING AROUND WITH THIS OTHER XP NONSENSE!!!

Instead of messing with existent XP, just increase the XP in the quests from level 16 and up. Running a level 19 quest and getting 3k of XP is a JOKE.

Lower the XP we get from quests and my temporary break will become permanent.

I keep getting the increasing feeling that Turbine is out to outright kill DDO and this doesn't make me get away from that feeling, quite the opposite. All I see are posts from the Devs with increasingly idiotic ideas.

Between this new "let's lower XP from quests" fail (anyone else thinks it's the opposite? Wake up, guys), the Epic TR fail, the Enhancement Pass fail and the latest string of fails (that still don't get fixed in the new patch), I'm having a hard time to decide which one is the cherry on top of the fail cake.
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Good writeup dev's definitely want to hear more on this stuff as it unfolds.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    Adventure Base XP = Adventure level*1,000*Length of Quest modifier.

Quest Modifier
    • Very Short = 0.25 Modifier
    • Short = 0.5 Modifier
    • Medium = 0.75 Modifier
    • Long = 1.0 Modifier
    • Very Long = 2.0 Modifier

(And, yes there will have to be some quest length reevaluation done. {Looking at you, Hold for Reinforcements.})
    Just a thought: an XP/min spent in the quest reward would dynamically reflect the actual length of quests--call it a rebate. Now one problem with that-is that while it wouldn't give more XP per minute per completion it would give more per XP per completion, and with limited completions available with the repetition penalty it would give more XP per quest over all runs if you ran it more slowly. However, with repetition penalties resetting there'd be no permanent advantage.

Any action that diminishes the grind on this game has my support. Let's hope the changes meet the expectations. Really sick of grinding xp on my TR's

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    i like this, but...

why increase lower level xp? i think its fine the way it is and even the average player can get through those levels without xp/min grinding and without much effort. i do like the 15-20 range getting attention though, but i think there would be a lot less griping about xp grind in those levels if the quests and difficulty were rewarding appropriately. i wouldn't doubt it would be too much work or something to just increase the xp on a quest by quest basis in that level range, so it sounds like adjusting the xp curve required is the next best thing.

a little curious as to why a daily bonus for quest completion. sounds like another xp boost added to the game and i think its gotten to the point its silly crazy when you see someone link over 100k xp in elite Von 5. not a big deal i suppose.

overall, i like your post and glad to finally see some attention on TR xp. looks like going down the right path.
    My guess is that with the advent of Veteran I, Veteran II and Iconic Alts, the lower levels are being under-utilized. This is an attempt to get those of us who don't run all the lower levels on elite for the favor to revisit some of the content. Same thing with the Saga system, since most of the sweeping arcs start below level 10.
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Thumbs up

XP... curves will be ameliorated, so that the increase in XP needed to level isn’t such a drastic increase in the 15-20 range, and so that the lower level ranges require move XP to level.

...We are working on for the upcoming Expansion release is a change to the way quest repetition XP penalty works... With the Expansion, we will allow the penalty to reset after a grace period, similar to the way chest loot ransack works.
    The devil's in the details, but these will be much appreciated.

I've always enjoyed bounties in games. It might also help LFMs and stir up interest in less popular content. You may consider opening this to a few quests at time to offer a bonus at different levels.

- PurpleFooz
    Sagas sound very interesting.

We are still refining what the final numbers will be for these changes and bonuses, and as we get closer to Expansion launch day we will go into greater detail. The version that will appear on Lamannia is not meant for testing, and is there merely because we have taken an early game build to continue Enhancements review with players. You’re welcome to provide feedback on what you see, but it is not something Lamannia participants should focus on because it is still a work in progress.

We hope you’ve enjoyed this early look, as we’d like to continue these types of posts to let players peek behind the DM screen a bit more ahead of Shadowfell Conspiracy.

- PurpleFooz[/QUOTE]
    Someone got it wrong. Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition because they were required to give 30 days notice, by law.
    I can be found on Orien. My more active toons are Cilon, Solstone in Your Pack, and sometimes Acroyer.

Don't forget the Teamwork XP bonus that will encourage group play and encourage LFM usage by granting an XP bonus to parties that start and complete a quest together
    Sarlona
    Gutter-Oowaoonah-Ute-Mauhl-Rockroll-Gutsack-Talrasha

Default my 2pp

really like the saga stuff

the daily xp bonus on quests ... well don't know if I like that. have to see how its implemented.

making lower lvls take more xp and taking the pressure off the 15+ quests will be a good thing, there is way more low lvl content than there is high lvl content. I mea usually I have to skip quests in the low range due to hard capping to fast, and above 15 you suddenly have to repeat quests multiple times to even get the lvlup (not really an issue cus there's lots of gear and flagging stuff to farm there but still)

getting rid of the repeat penalty in the way t works for ransack tm is a good idea imo. it will allow people to run quests more often and increase the chance your pug group will fill with vets

all in all I think it will be an improvement to the game

Quote Originally Posted by xberto View Post
    Don't forget the Teamwork XP bonus that will encourage group play and encourage LFM usage by granting an XP bonus to parties that start and complete a quest together
    I like the concept but dislike the idea of waiting around before starting.

I just proposed this in another thread, but it was inspired partly by this post of yours so here seems a good place to repost it:

Just to toss this out there, I could see maybe a "balanced party" bonus as something like 5% per unique class icon in the party that completes any quest without a late arrival penalty.

Your class icon is the icon that display in the party list, so my 12/8 fighter/cleric would count as a fighter since he shows a fighter icon.

Upon quest completion, every party member who does not have a late arrival penalty (and is not a hireling) is counted for these purposes. However many different class icons are present are added together for x, and everyone in the group gets x*5% "balanced party" bonus. Whether the late arrivals get this bonus or not isn't terribly relevant to me.

Let's say my wizard hops in an elite crucible at level 16 for the [bravery] bonus, puts up an IP LFM and pops a hire to start on the maze. A sorc joins, then another sorc, so I dismiss the hire and the three of us complete the maze. Now barbarian join, I tell him to pop a hire if he likes, and he does. I do the trap room and swim. After the swim a ranger joins the lfm and sprints out to quest just for the favor and relics. He gets 80% late arrival penalty as we complete.

At completion, we now have a wizard, 2 sorcs, a barb, a fvs hire, and a late-arriving ranger. That's 3 unique classes -- wizard, sorc, barb -- so the group's "balanced party" bonus is 3*5=15%.

I like some of your xp concepts, but agree that increasing the lower level xp is about selling stones and is a mistake because it will discourage newer players who want to see faster progress as they play.

Have you devs thought about changing the xp stones? I think the xp stones should not be level based, but rather just provide a base experience and furthermore useable at any heroic level e.g. they are worth say 1 million xp and are useable at any level between 1-20 to provide heroic xp. You devs are creating a false incentive with these xp stones which is contrary to the goal of retaining newer players.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Community Member

I don't believe increasing the exp a low level TR will need will be an issue once it goes live, for a couple reasons.

1. If this daily bonus idea applies to every quest, that will likely balance out the increased xp needed at lower levels.

2. I ran a 12th life TR from 1-20+ easily, never repeating any quest more than twice total. First run elite, then for those quests with really nice rewards or high exp I may have done a single hard and a single normal run. MOST levels I left several bravery bonus eligible quests undone because I capped out on the exp needed. I was capping out every single level all the way up to 19...and only had to consider farming anything at that point for my last 2 ranks to 20. Rarely used an xp pot unless I obtained it from the daily dice. First thing I did after taking my next level was to clean up the quests left behind 1 run each on elite. Doing this life in this manner has led me to believe that MOST of the 'lack of xp' that players experience at any level is due more to taking levels too soon and not working the system that is already in place, i.e. the bravery bonus system.

3. Having a resetting xp ransack that would restore full value for the quest periodically will greatly assist players with leveling at all ranges, especially f2p or premium. I do believe, however, that the xp ransack system should be denied f2p. Premium and up only.

Quote Originally Posted by xberto View Post
    do this and make the stupid death penalty PERSONAL and not affect a whole party.

Well so far people have mentioned increasing the XP at the later non-epic levels. Recently I ran Jungles of Khyber on Epic Hard for roughly 60k XP and it took about 10 minutes (we did all the optionals). The Epic levels seem to fly by (300k till 21, 450k till 22) the amount of XP is insanely good (don't nerf this). Levels 1~17 go be pretty quick, lots of quests to run through solid XP. Than 18, 19, 20 things grind to a halt, that last 1.5 million XP seems to take forever, unless you bank from 18 till 20. Those last 3 levels you pretty much have Reavers Reach for decent XP grinding, IQ quests can be run pretty quick but the XP is less than stellar. Currently, we have XP pots, BBs, XP Tomes, Airship Shrines, and Stones to reduce the grind. So we are not short on bonuses (all available on the DDO Store), but short on decent XP (Quest and Wilderness) and requiring too much XP (roughly 1/3 of the total XP earned 1.36 million to 1.9 million, 2.1 mil to 3.1 mil, and 2.9 mil to 4.4 mil). A third life TR needs more XP for 17 to 20 and a first lifer needs from 1 till 17.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast