Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

honestly if they were to revisit the Lord of Eyes chain, Amrath and House Cannith quests. Revamp their xp a lot. people would run these more. Reason to do it would be to breath life back into the packs. Hell this would be a reason to sell the packs to a lot. to some once they find out it might not be worth it to them. for others they might just skip these 2 areas entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleFooz View Post
    With the Expansion, we will allow the penalty to reset after a grace period, similar to the way chest loot ransack works.
    YAY!! Thank you for listening!

Very soon we’ll be opening Lamannia with the newest version of Enhancements. Included in that version of the game code are several new features and changes coming to quest XP in the expansion. We wanted to highlight what’s coming with a very early write up, because the changes that you’ll see on Lamannia are not yet ready for testing, and include a lot of place-holder numbers. Today we wanted to talk about the changes so that you have some insight into what features are coming:

We’ve previously mentioned in our Reincarnation discussions that we’ll be reworking the XP curve to be less steep for 2nd and 3rd life reincarnations. Those curves will be ameliorated, so that the increase in XP needed to level isn’t such a drastic increase in the 15-20 range, and so that the lower level ranges require move XP to level.

One of the other changes we are working on for the upcoming Expansion release is a change to the way quest repetition XP penalty works. Currently whenever you repeat the same quest over and over, the XP degrades until the quest permanently gives little to no XP. With the Expansion, we will allow the penalty to reset after a grace period, similar to the way chest loot ransack works.

Next a new daily bonus is being added to quest completions. Every day, a quest will have a bonus added to the base XP value. Playing the quest on any difficulty level qualifies for this daily bonus.

Finally, we will be adding a new way to receive bonus XP: Sagas. New NPCs will be arriving in Eberron and Faerûn who chronicle the deeds of heroes across multiple story archs/adventure packs. By completing all the quests in a given Saga, you can speak with the Saga NPC to claim an extra reward such as a large one-time XP grant, guild XP, or even tomes. The quality of those rewards can also be influenced by running the quests on higher difficulties.

We are still refining what the final numbers will be for these changes and bonuses, and as we get closer to Expansion launch day we will go into greater detail. The version that will appear on Lamannia is not meant for testing, and is there merely because we have taken an early game build to continue Enhancements review with players. You’re welcome to provide feedback on what you see, but it is not something Lamannia participants should focus on because it is still a work in progress.

We hope you’ve enjoyed this early look, as we’d like to continue these types of posts to let players peek behind the DM screen a bit more ahead of Shadowfell Conspiracy.

- PurpleFooz
    Eppy Woot!

The Good Stuff
    All welcoming news, thank you Purple.

Community Member

Fantastic news!

Any chance that challenge xp might get a little boost as part of this? One of the big arguments for the nerf was that you could keep running it forever... it seems like the new quest repetition penalty system would work just fine to keep them in balance.

Quote Originally Posted by dlsidhe View Post
    *reads thread*

*sees repetition penalty removal*

*stops reading*

*DANCES*

That...is phenomenal news. Especially for my style of doing a TR - I don't have 24 hour TRs. I have 9-10 month TRs. I have three characters at Epic levels and two or three TR'ing at any point, and then experimental alts; I play toons according to what I feel like doing at the time.

So, what I'm reading is thus: I take a couple weeks off from the TR grind, and when I come back I can rerun quests I really like (not necessarily top-XP quests, but ones that I enjoy) and not be penalized?!
    Aye this a huge boon for you.

A big part of a Legend Life is the planning that goes into it to avoid painting yourself into a corner.
    Now, with these changes if you find yourself painted into a corner, simply wait for the paint to dry.

Huge, huge for Epic XP as you can wait for reset of quests you did on heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Like some of this not a fan of the xp ransack reset it will decrease the variety of quests being ran some I think not a lot maybe but it will have an effect.
    It depends on how long the ransack timer is. I'm a fairly fast leveler, but not ultra fast. I can do a 3 week TR going at a steady pace. If the ransack timer is 7 days then that adds a complete week to my TR if I were to wait around for it to degrade to run it again instead of pushing on and taking my level.

I see how it will vastly improve very casual players that only get online a couple times a week and it certainly improves the issue where heroic and epic completions overlapped.

There are situations that can be "exploited" for lack of a better word. It really depends on the mechanics of the system. Here is a theoretical example.

Assume a 7 day ransack timer.

I run Litany of the Dead, elite on a Monday on my level 12 toon. I do this to preemptively get the ransack timer rolling and do only a single run right now. (I'm not sure what the min level is to get in. This is just an example.)

Six days later, on Sunday, when I'm around level 17, I run it 12 more times on hard and once on normal to ransack the xp from the quest.

On Monday night, the ransack timer is lifted and I run it 12 more times on hard while at level 17 or 18.

That's 26 runs of one quest within a one week window and in this situation, I can probably ignore much of the other "filler" content I'd normally do in this level range, especially considering that the xp curve will favor this level range soon and be easier to get through. Combine this scenario with a similar plan for Shadow Crypt and you can start skipping massive amounts of content. The core problem here isn't the ransack timer mechanics, but the massive xp advantage that those two quests have over other quests in their level range. This is due in part to the great xp of those quests and also the extremely low xp of other quests (like the new pack for level 15 and the lack of anything competitive with Shadow Crypt xp for level 12's to run)

I hope this sort of situation is being looked at as I'd hate for edge cases like this to be a reason not to go ahead with a great idea. As with all systems, one has to look at the edge cases and attempt to "break it" before it goes live.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 06-20-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    There are situations that can be "exploited" for lack of a better word. It really depends on the mechanics of the system. Here is a theoretical example.
    I'm pretty sure that 2 things will be the case. One is that the ransack on a quest is the 4th run (ie 3 runs at normal xp, next run has a penalty). The second is that even if you do what you'd said you'd only be able to run 1 more time with no penalty. Yes, you started the ransack timer on that first day but the second run you did 6 days later started its own ransack timer for that day. I'm not positive this is how it will work but I'm pretty sure they'd be going that route.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    I'm pretty sure that 2 things will be the case. One is that the ransack on a quest is the 4th run (ie 3 runs at normal xp, next run has a penalty). The second is that even if you do what you'd said you'd only be able to run 1 more time with no penalty. Yes, you started the ransack timer on that first day but the second run you did 6 days later started its own ransack timer for that day. I'm not positive this is how it will work but I'm pretty sure they'd be going that route.
    Like I said, it really depends how they implement it. I use a system like what I've listed above for chest ransacks. I'll do my first looting as soon as possible, then ransack it throughout the week. As soon as the timer is up on the first looting, the chest is completely clear again and I could sack it all in a single day if I chose to. I based my xp situation on the chest ransack mechanics as that's all the info we have to go on currently. I'm sure it will be somewhat different.

I run Litany of the Dead, elite on a Monday on my level 12 toon. I do this to preemptively get the ransack timer rolling and do only a single run right now. (I'm not sure what the min level is to get in. This is just an example.).
    You got a toon that can do Litany at level 12?
    Wow?

Maybe you struggle thru it, but is struggling good xp per min?

Even the thought of arranging 3 power gamers to sit around and wait at 15 to help you for one
    quest seems...

Consider, doing Litany once a day instead for the Daily bonus?
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 06-20-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    You got a toon that can do Litany at level 12?
    Wow?

Even the thought of arranging 3 power gamers to sit around and wait at 15 to help you for one
    quest seems...

Consider, doing Litany once a day instead for the Daily bonus?
    The level was just added as an example. It could be a different level, quest or timeframe. I'm just pointing out a potential flaw in the system. I'm sure many players could solo elite Litany at level 12 or even lower. I typically solo it at level 16 and those 4 levels don't add a whole lot on most builds.

Edit: Yeah, the daily bonus thing could change it as well. If your first quest run every day is a daily bonus, then I do one Litany run every day for the week and a few more on the last day before ransack resets.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 06-20-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Assume a 7 day ransack timer.

I run Litany of the Dead, elite on a Monday on my level 12 toon. I do this to preemptively get the ransack timer rolling and do only a single run right now. (I'm not sure what the min level is to get in. This is just an example.)

Six days later, on Sunday, when I'm around level 17, I run it 12 more times on hard and once on normal to ransack the xp from the quest.

On Monday night, the ransack timer is lifted and I run it 12 more times on hard while at level 17 or 18.
    I see what you doing now, and I am pretty that is not how the ransack timers work at all.

It pulls the latest one off of the stack, not clearing the whole stack.
    You would only get one additional run out of that.

But it is good to bring up thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    I see what you doing now, and I am pretty that is not how the ransack timers work at all.

It pulls the latest one off of the stack, not clearing the whole stack.
    You would only get one additional run out of that.
    There are no quest ransack reset timers yet. How do you know how they work?

For reference http://ddowiki.com/page/Ransack
    I'm basing my quest xp ransack assumptions off of chest ransack mechanics. After your week is up, the chest is refreshed completely to 100%. It doesn't replace lootings one at a time but instead resets the entire ransack.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 06-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    And let's face it, it's probably levels 12 to 14 that will become the new worry spot since there's so few quests in that area of the game
    There's a TON of quests for a level 12-14 to run... At 12 you can run Threnal, Sorrowdusk, Restless Isles, VON 5-6... Then after that you have GH, Sands, Droam Invasion quests, Relic of Sovereign Past, Invaders, some house J undead stuff...

Those are the most fun levels (you just got your greensteel out of the bank), and there's plenty to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

In other words, each quest completion should have a 7 day timer on it.

Not a timer that once your first completion is a week later, all your completions
    are removed.

Ask the loot experts about it, see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    There's a TON of quests for a level 12-14 to run... At 12 you can run Threnal, Sorrowdusk, Restless Isles, VON 5-6... Then after that you have GH, Sands, Droam Invasion quests, Relic of Sovereign Past, Invaders, some house J undead stuff...

Those are the most fun levels (you just got your greensteel out of the bank), and there's plenty to do.
    +1

There are no quest ransack reset timers yet. How do you know how they work?

For reference http://ddowiki.com/page/Ransack
    I'm basing my quest xp ransack assumptions off of chest ransack mechanics. After your week is up, the chest is refreshed completely to 100%. It doesn't replace lootings one at a time but instead resets the entire ransack.
    Very interesting, thank you for the information.

Next a new daily bonus is being added to quest completions. Every day, a quest will have a bonus added to the base XP value. Playing the quest on any difficulty level qualifies for this daily bonus.
    Woot, once per quest not once per toon!

I think they just took care of ransack abuse right there.

I have watched once and done vs farming and seen it preform well already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Fantastic news!

Any chance that challenge xp might get a little boost as part of this? One of the big arguments for the nerf was that you could keep running it forever... it seems like the new quest repetition penalty system would work just fine to keep them in balance.
    Hopes for challenge review in the near future.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast