Default Eveningstar Challengs

I've done the Canith challenges and they can be quite challenging but not impossible but the Evensingstar especially the Defenseless challenge, to be almost impossible to get completed in the time constraint for the challenge, and for items with unsure abilities except for the cloaks. Plus I heard that the Dyrad challenges were easier before they changed them, but again to do these challenges for unknown item abilities make them not worth trying even though you can turn the item back in for about half the tokens you paid for item. Give us a good reason to do the challenge other then pot luck and hope I'll like the item abilities. PS Everything in the challenges is bound to character unlike the Canith challenges that are bound to account.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kp2 View Post
    I've done the Canith challenges and they can be quite challenging but not impossible but the Evensingstar especially the Defenseless challenge, to be almost impossible to get completed in the time constraint for the challenge, and for items with unsure abilities except for the cloaks. Plus I heard that the Dyrad challenges were easier before they changed them, but again to do these challenges for unknown item abilities make them not worth trying even though you can turn the item back in for about half the tokens you paid for item. Give us a good reason to do the challenge other then pot luck and hope I'll like the item abilities. PS Everything in the challenges is bound to character unlike the Canith challenges that are bound to account.
    Depending on your class, the weapons aren't that bad...for the effort it takes to get one, they're not bad at all, though most classes have a better option by L16, and twinking is so prevalent that most players will just get the "better" option with their endgame char before TRing, or something.

If you want to compare them to Cannith challenge gear, I think the biggest problem is the lack of upgradability. I'd love, for example, to be able to add a Red augment slot for T2 and then Craftable +4 for T3 onto a Cormyrian weapon.

Or maybe, keeping in line with the "jackpot" model, be able to add another randomized affix from the Cormyrian pool at T2 and T3...so, potentially, they could be among the best weapons in the game, though it'd take a considerable bit of luck and effort to actually roll an awesome base weapon and then two other awesome affixes in a row.

Eveningstar challenges are pretty poor overall. I own every bit of content in the game except Eveningstar challenges, and it's not for lack of TP. All my alts have 100 daily challenge tokens just in case I ever need to run them. I will never buy those challenges as long as the mats are BtC.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I will never buy those challenges as long as the mats are BtC.
    People always complain so much about this - whats wrong with running the challenges on the character you want to earn the weapon for? It takes like one run each of three challenges to get enough mats to roll another weapon, if you're crunching the ones you don't want back up. Its not even as bad as Cannith challenges, where the challenges themselves are 2-3x as long and you need to repeat them a whole lot to buy and upgrade the weapons.

Is it just that people don't want to have to run through the Lords of Dust chain to get all their alts into ES? No, cant be that, because you need to get to ES to buy the weapons either way...

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    People always complain so much about this - whats wrong with running the challenges on the character you want to earn the weapon for? It takes like one run each of three challenges to get enough mats to roll another weapon, if you're crunching the ones you don't want back up. Its not even as bad as Cannith challenges, where the challenges themselves are 2-3x as long and you need to repeat them a whole lot to buy and upgrade the weapons.

Is it just that people don't want to have to run through the Lords of Dust chain to get all their alts into ES? No, cant be that, because you need to get to ES to buy the weapons either way...
    Part of it is that it drags out the grinding when they've already allowed us to have BTA mats (Cannith).
    If a group of players decide they want to farm for mats they're restricted, someone has to make a sacrifice to help the others obtain their mats, unless the group is acceptable to them already and that's the toons they want to get them on.

If one player is on a paladin or a fighter, but the group needs a cleric (or would feel safer with) then they either drop him or he switches and misses out on the mats that he desires on another toon. It's restrictive and annoying. Cannith Challenge mats are BTA which allows player to be more flexible with their grouping options and you know exactly what you're getting when you turn them in. With Eveningstar it's just weapons and armor that you're hoping doesn't suck, because of their randomization I had vertigo +10 on a bow (has been fixed). Which I would've been fine with if you could trip with a bow.

Cannith mats also have more than one use, you can pick up some minor XP/guild renown pots or essences or even epic tokens.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyonsAlt View Post
    If one player is on a paladin or a fighter, but the group needs a cleric (or would feel safer with) then they either drop him or he switches and misses out on the mats that he desires on another toon.
    I had vertigo +10 on a bow (has been fixed). Which I would've been fine with if you could trip with a bow.
    Just to present the counterargument...what ES challenge do you need a balanced group for? They're all pretty much soloable (with hireling), IME, definitely if you're not trying for 6-star runs. I'm pretty sure any sized group of characters that are viable enough to get to L16/20 in the first place can make it through an ES challenge far enough to secure a reward

Also, just to be a butthole about it A wild form druid could wield a bow and still benefit from Vertigo...

Also, just to be a butthole about it A wild form druid could wield a bow and still benefit from Vertigo...
    The part I'm more irritated about is the fact that when you go to trip you're actually using a sweeping kick animation. Nothing to do with the weapon, so why can't I use my bow to trip?! Wild forms blow anyways :P I mean come on, wis based DCs, that cost spell points, and are effected by anti-magic? I should be able to use meta's on them! MAX/EMP/HEIGHTENED KNOCKDOWN FTW!

IMO, the Eveningstar challenges have some serious problems we don't have in Cannith challenges.

1) BtC over BtA ingredients. It is not about the farming. Suppose that I really love the arena challenges. At least once per life I run them after finishing the web chain just because I find them fun. I get a lot of ingredients that I have no use for, and I don't feel like farming the other challenges just to make an item. So, basically, I was rewarded with trash that I will discard. If the ingredients were BtA, I could send the items to a bank toon, and when I desire to get an item for any of my toons, I would already have a head start.

2) There is no actual challenge, just a DPS check. Lets revisit the cannith challenges, ok?

Extraplanar Palace and Lava Caves, your DPS do not matter. All that matter is how many crystals you can gather. You have to fight stuff to avoid "kobold be killed" scenarios, and actually challenge some NPC (spectral dragon, fire giant warlock) to get stars. But for the basic star, you only have to hold them up while kobold collect stuff.

Rushmore Mansion your DPS is important, but pathing and speed is more important. There is a nice learning curve until you can do well in mansion challenges. And even if your DPS is awesome, you are tempted to find the best way to actually reach all five bosses in one run. It is, by far, the best planned challenge in the pack (fun is a personal matter).

Kobold Island requires DPS to take stuff out of the extractors, but also requires time to master. You need to learn when to upgrade, what upgrade, and if it is worth to run around, park hirelings, or plant cannons. Even knowing if it is worth to go for the larges requires experience. And if you want to solo, you also have to learn when is safe enough to go get parts so you can upgrade stuff.

Now, let's go for Eveningstar.

Arena challenge is you in the same place while mobs run towards you. Kill them fast enough and you might see the bosses. Kill the bosses fast enough and you get stars.

Ritual challenge is you in the same place while mobs run towards an NPC that you must protect. Yopu can't take their agro back once they see the NPC, so your only hope is killing them before they do much damage. If you fight long enough, you might see the bosses and ge stars.

Dryad Cove is extractor-like, except that there is no learning curve. You upgrade trees the earliest you can, and keep mobs away from trees. There is no cannons to protect the trees while you do something else. Heck, there is NO SOMETHING ELSE to do. You just stay away from the tree and grab mob attention before they see the tree.

3) They require inflated numbers of ingredients, and it looks like an unfair attempt to sell you bigger bags, because large bags can only hold stacks of 2500.

A fully upgraded T3 cannith item, at worst, requires 1200 ingredients. And you can spend them when you get 600.

A ML 24 cloak requires more than the double. And you actually need to stack 4k copper to make the Adamantine wolf cloak.

4) They require access to Eveningstar, so you must complete the web chain before you can have fun on challenges. OK, they are all minimum level 15, but now with iconics in game you can't do what you did before, where you could roll a veteran character and immediatelly jump into one of the lower level cannith challenges to test yourself. It is a minor drawback, but a drawback anyway.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

Eveningstar challenges went off the radar for me when moment I realised the ingredients are BTC.

I run Cannith stuff regularly

Just to present the counterargument...what ES challenge do you need a balanced group for? They're all pretty much soloable (with hireling), IME, definitely if you're not trying for 6-star runs. I'm pretty sure any sized group of characters that are viable enough to get to L16/20 in the first place can make it through an ES challenge far enough to secure a reward
    I can't even fathom the concept of cormyrian weapons. Not that they're hard to get, but rather that that kind of loot lottery is pointless, IMO.

The only value I see in eve challenges is the cloaks, namely the ML24 cloaks. They need a TON of mats, and the sunset ritual ones are ridiculous without dball. I solo challenges, except eve challenges I only solo on a wizard. After making an addy dragon cloak for my wizard and one for my cleric (during the cleric's single wizard life) I'm done with them. My fighter might be interested in a wolf cloak if the mats were bta. Since they're btc, as far as I'm concerned that cloak simply doesn't exist.