Default Two click forum login bookmarklet

Got tired of logging in every time I want to post, so I made this:

Code:

javascript:(function(){ var L='https://www.ddo.com/en/auth/login'; if(location!=L)location=L; else{ login.identity.value="USERNAME"; login.secret.value="PASSWORD"; HTMLFormElement.prototype.submit.call(login); }})();
    Installing:
    1) Replace USERNAME and PASSWORD with login details
    2) Create new bookmark (anywhere), then edit it and replace the URL with the above

Using:
    1) Click on the bookmark once to go to the login page
    2) Click again to login

You're welcome

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post

Code:

javascript:(function(){ var L='https://www.ddo.com/en/auth/login'; if(location!=L)location=L; else{ login.identity.value="USERNAME"; login.secret.value="PASSWORD"; HTMLFormElement.prototype.submit.call(login); }})();
    Installing:
    2) Create new bookmark (anywhere), then edit it and replace the URL with the above

Using:
    2) Click again to login

You're welcome
    You have just made me very happy woman.
    It had gotten to the point where I was keeping a tab pinned on chrome with the forums login page just to log in after every other post.
    Damn good job here!
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Code:

Installing:

Using:
    2) Click again to login

You're welcome
    And Thank you this works wonderfully, it should be noted that to make this work with firefox and noscript you'll need to "whitelist" www.ddo.com (right click noscript, click whitelist tab add ddo and click okay)

Note that despite appearances this is actually better security than a lack of "remember me" feature is. Although it's distinctly less secure than having your browser remember your password, which this forum wont let sensible people do. Probably because too many people who don't understand the issues "feel less secure" if their password is remembered.

Community Member

But...but....the devs said they didn't want us to have "remember me" functionality on the login page anymore!!!

You're going to call down the wrath of the Devs! Repent! Repent, lest ye be nerfed!

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default If I would only read

I did this and of course I was taken right to the BLANK login screen.

I go ***?!?!?! What did I do wrong.

Then I re-read the message it says click the new bookmark TWICE for auto login.

First click takes you to the blank login screen, the second click logs you in automagically.

DOH!!!!

Thanks!!
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Community Member

Works like a charm, thanks!!

Well done!

/Props.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

I've been using this all day and (as anyone can tell reading that expansion pack thread) it has single handedly tripled my willingness to use the forums... You can argue that's a bad thing if you want w/e LOL. It even seems to redirect better... if you get the login required you hit the bookmark and actually goes back to "reply to post" instead of the main page. At least it seems to do that better. Might be a really short expiry on the return redirect and the bookmarklet makes your login fast enough to get in. Maybe.

I hate to be the voice of negativity in what seems an otherwise helpful thread, but there is something of note that should be considered.

How secure is your script?

It might not be wise to be so openly sending your forum account and password info since it doubles as your game info as well. Not completely sure what your script does because I haven't tried it. (I rarely ever log into the forums to need to relog.) But my first thoughts are if the bookmark script send unsecure, unencrypted data to the forum site that can be intercepted before being used in the designated fields on Turbine's side.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I hate to be the voice of negativity in what seems an otherwise helpful thread, but there is something of note that should be considered.

Well, it's about as secure as SSL will make it whether manually typed or submitted with a script...

And AtomicMew; simple, elegant and functional. What more can I say other than that?
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

This works best when replying to posts. Hit the 'reply with quote', you'll be taken to the login screen. hit the bookmark, you're logged in and taken to the reply page. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post

It might not be wise to be so openly sending your forum account and password info since it doubles as your game info as well. Not completely sure what your script does because I haven't tried it. (I rarely ever log into the forums to need to relog.) But my first thoughts are if the bookmark script send unsecure, unencrypted data to the forum site that can be intercepted before being used in the designated fields on Turbine's side.
    Short answer is that keyloggers are a bigger threat to steal a login... this script becomes a bookmark, no keystrokes. and a process that is unlikely to get a hacker interested in looking at it.

Longer answer is that if you got "hacked" by someone really really fastidious and anal retentive, they might look at your bookmarks and find your unencrypted password and login. It's not a normal place to look though, so it would seem unlikely.

Yet Longer answer is that the above is ridiculously unlikely in a world where hackers harvest logins and passwords by the thousands by phishing or with keyloggers on malware and pirated software, and are concentrating on "low hanging fruit" (the easy stuff).

The easiest and most prudent way to protect your game login is to simply make another game account (they are free after all) and login to the forums with that, and never use it for playing... or if you're like me, maybe you have a silly "1 man guild" and you needed 6 accounts in the guild to get the best small guild renown bonus... so you already have multiple accounts.

Personally I could give a toss about my big green rep bar, and post count, nor do I care about my Join date (the old one wasn't accurate either). I do however care a lot about not putting my real actual game login on a vBullitin forum where is it much easier to hack than on a proprietary game server. And I also greatly care about not typing my login eleventy hundred times a day before and after every post... So yeah this little work around is both a nice middle finger to the idiot that sh@t out this mess, and a semi return to sanity while trying to use this forum without stepping in said mess, or having my nose figuratively rubbed in it every 3 to 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 06-19-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Community Member

Looks like a useful script.

For myself, I have been using a password DB, so logins are routinely fast at any login screen.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Thanks! Works great.

Community Member

Using:
    2) Click again to login

You're welcome
    Thank you so much!

The server sometimes takes a very long time responding, and it's always annoying to wait for the login message. Much easier to just click on the Bookmark! Fire & Forget style...

Nice job! I just use Lastpass myself but thanks for sharing anyway

Stoner81.

Community Member

w00tsome!

Thank you very much