Community Member

Default Greensteel Weapon Advise

I am getting ready to TR and want to create a 2nd Greensteel weapon for the journey back to Level 20 and beyond. I currently have a Lit2 Dwarven Axe and want to make a Triple Positive Weapon so I have a good undead killer.

My question for the experts is assuming I am TR'ing into a Dwarf again, am I better off making a Warhammer or Dwarven Axe for my Triple Positive Weapon?

I am going to be a sword and board fighter with two handed fighting feats .

The Dwarven Axe gets glancing blows and will have a little better base damage and extra damage from Enhancements.

The Warhammer will break Blunt DR.

Does anyone know which will be more beneficial overall?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

As much as i like the extra glancing blow damage from dwarven axe, i'd say warhammer or maybe even consider morningstar/heavy mace (since against undead you generally won't be critting anyway & that'd handle proficiencies in other classes for future TRs) since the blunt damage will bypass the DR of skellies & those somewhat bothersome liches if you go raiding.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Another option is go Triple Postitive Quarterstaff, they can used by all classes so regardless of what you TR in to you will still have an undead beater. Yes they are not top end DPS compared to a maul or whatever else but if you plan on TR'ing a lot then this would be the way to go in my book (I'm doing the exact same thing, Pos3 staff )

If you do the quarterstaff then put the adamantine ritual on it to increase durability otherwise it will break pretty quick.

EDIT - This thread has a lot of useful information in which you might find useful

Stoner81.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

How much extra DPS is a triple positive hammer vs., say, a ML:12 Mournlode hammer? If you're going to be a d.axe S&B ftr, it seems to me to make more sense to make a 3x pos d.axe and keep a Mournlode just for skellie-beating. Particularly since you can start using the Mournlode @ lvl 4 and upgrade it every 4 lvls.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    How much extra DPS is a triple positive hammer vs., say, a ML:12 Mournlode hammer? If you're going to be a d.axe S&B ftr, it seems to me to make more sense to make a 3x pos d.axe and keep a Mournlode just for skellie-beating. Particularly since you can start using the Mournlode @ lvl 4 and upgrade it every 4 lvls.
    ML12 mournlode:
    1?[1d10] +3, righteous (+2), undead bane (2+2d6 bane), brilliance (1d6 + 2d10 on crit roll)

3xpos greensteel:
    1.5[1d10], +5, holy (+2d6), good burst [1d6 +2d10 on crit roll), good blast (+4d6 on crit roll), greater disruption (+6d6 bane & instakill on vorpals if under 1k hp or 100 bane damage if over). Also has a handy raise dead clicky.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Go with the Posx3 Maul. You'll have the thf feats and it's a great weapon for a lot of content.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    A triple positive GS weapon with all three damage upgrade is, by far, the best undead beater in the game. Yes, even considering epic weaponry. Your only question is if you prefer a blunt weapon for skeletons, or a slashing weapon for zombies.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Purely judging for the S&B D.axe wielder, and ignoring utility in future lives, I vote for the D.axe. Yes, it will suffer a little vs skellies, but with full THF enhancements that's 50% extra damage from Glancing Blows, which you'll proc on 75% of your attack sequence...so that's 37.5% bonus damage, plus a 10+% chance to proc another set of weapon effects, both on your main target and everyone else in your AOE cone. I think that makes up for the DR/Bludgeon.

Maul, of course, would also let you take advantage of your THF bonuses - but then you lose your shield.

Community Member

Thanks for your advice all everyone, it is really appreciated!

One more question. Do most of you recommend going all three levels of damage, or do any of you recommend going with a tier of healing amp instead? If I figured the numbers correctly, good blast only averages out to 1.4 good damage a swing, or I could take healing amp 30% instead.

I don't know of any other items that are pre-epic that offer 30% healing amp so it seems awfully tempting to go that route. What are your thoughts on that?

It would depend on the build of your character really I guess plus how you want it to be, in terms of Undead nothing currently beats a triple positive Green Steel weapon (e.g. maul, quarterstaff etc anything that does blunt damage), your normal slashing weapon is fine for most Zombies. If your character has the proficiencies then go with a maul for the Undead beater and then your main weapon (whatever it is) go with LitII since that's the general all purpose DPS option though some prefer MinII.

My TR toon is having a triple positive quarterstaff (Undead beater and all class proficiency since he TR's a lot) and a LitII greataxe.

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldred View Post
    One more question. Do most of you recommend going all three levels of damage, or do any of you recommend going with a tier of healing amp instead? If I figured the numbers correctly, good blast only averages out to 1.4 good damage a swing, or I could take healing amp 30% instead.

I don't know of any other items that are pre-epic that offer 30% healing amp so it seems awfully tempting to go that route. What are your thoughts on that?
    I had the same line of thought when I crafted mine. Then I remembered something.

If it is a two-handed weapon (Maul, staff), and you are on a self-healing class this mean you can't use the heal amp while holding a devotion stick or a Heal scroll.

If it is a one-handed weapon, you need to made a weapon setup with it on the off-hand to cure yourself with scrolls.

If you heal by potions, you need to equip the weapon before drinking.

If you have a healer (hire or live), you need to activelly use the weapon to enjoy the heal amp, and you might have a better weapon to use if the quest is not undead-based.

So, while 30% amp is really, really good, it is not as useful as a GS modifier, unless you focus specially on this (a 10-20-30 amp stick).
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

I made a triple POS quarterstaff on a fighter life for a druid life, now I'm settled into a monk life and the quarterstaff was by far the best option for me, though I didn't know it at the time!

If you're fixed in knowing that character's end game pick the best weapon for their feats otherwise the quarterstaff makes a good choice and an acceptable choice for a sword and boarder with 2 handed feats. If that's a final life, then like another poster said, go the maul.

Nowadays I have a few 2xPOS and 3xPOS weapons just for the res clickies, so no matter what you choose, you'll carry them about just for the free resses on any classes you TR into.