Question To Tolero or Cordovan - How many Dev's are there?

Seriously. Would help to have general knowledge. Am thinking that most players (especially the power forumers) have no clue.

How many devs? QA? etc.

Mahalo in advance!

That is generally considered competitive secret info at most dev companies. it can also be hard to count at a studio that has cross project developers. It likely varies depending on what they are working on.

Though I'd love to know as well.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default 2010 Turbine had approx 300 employees

Based in Needham, Mass.

Three games LotRO, Asheron's Call, and DDO.

My wild rough guesses

In Customer Service there are six employees. Web Support, there are three employees. Web Developers there are ten employees. Around three employees in QA.

Server Admins and network engineers there are around 100 employees.

There are six in HR.

Admin there is around 40.

That leaves around 132 developers, or an average of 44 per game. Since LoTRo is the largest, more developers work on LoTRo. let's say 82 on LoTRo and 25 each for DDO and Asheron's.

Not all developers write for the game. Some of them write code for the forums and some write for the great installation software that comes out.

There is something to be read into the numbers I wrote.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

nm
    Last edited by Systern; 06-18-2013 at 02:46 PM.

There are 3 devs total for ddo.

Two monkeys locked in a room with a DOS computer and, one zookeeper that feeds them coffee and cigarettes.

jking. Remember. I love ddo.
    Last edited by DynaTheCat; 06-18-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post
    There are 3 devs total for ddo.

Two monkeys locked in a room with a DOS computer and, one zookeeper that feeds them coffee and cigarettes.
    In that scenario, who does the QA? The zoo keeper? No self respecting monkey would be responsible for QA work that resulted in customers being required to manually patch their install directories after a failed game patch.

Monkeys have pride.

Community Member
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    Based in Needham, Mass.

Three games LotRO, Asheron's Call, and DDO.

My wild rough guesses

In Customer Service there are six employees. Web Support, there are three employees. Web Developers there are ten employees. Around three employees in QA.

Server Admins and network engineers there are around 100 employees.

There are six in HR.

Admin there is around 40.

That leaves around 132 developers, or an average of 44 per game. Since LoTRo is the largest, more developers work on LoTRo. let's say 82 on LoTRo and 25 each for DDO and Asheron's.

Not all developers write for the game. Some of them write code for the forums and some write for the great installation software that comes out.

There is something to be read into the numbers I wrote.
    Hey, you missed Tolero and Cordovan. Is there a hidden message there lol ?

Also missing from 2010, in game GMs, sales/marketing, Accounting, and the Paiz's at the top.

After the acquisition of early 2010, I am guessing that sales/marketing and some accounting has by now been re-structured up to WB Games for the sake of efficiency.

One can only guess at what the company looks like now. I suspect, aside from some re-structuring, that it's pretty much the same. Many parent companies leave their children alone, with the focus of growing the children, and leave funds available for the children to appropriate what is needed to grow. Makes it easier to spin them off later (sell them) if they become much more valuable.

...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    In that scenario, who does the QA? The zoo keeper? No self respecting monkey would be responsible for QA work that resulted in customers being required to manually patch their install directories after a failed game patch.

Monkeys have pride.

Quote Originally Posted by JamnJD View Post
    Hey, you missed Tolero and Cordovan. Is there a hidden message there lol ?

Also missing from 2010, in game GMs, sales/marketing, Accounting, and the Paiz's at the top.
    No hidden message. Those aren't devs. Not every person that works at a game studio is a developer. Then again, you people seem to use the term 'dev' for anyone that has a Turbine/Warner Bros. logo on.

Tolero and Cordovan are part of the Community Team. GMs are sub contracted employees (usually). And the rest of the positions are, well, the rest of the positions. You will probably never hear of most of the employees.

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    <stats>
    This info is irrelevant since Turbine laid off an undisclosed number of employees late last year:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/layoffs-at-turbine-6398897

Quote Originally Posted by sigtrent View Post
    it can also be hard to count at a studio that has cross project developers. It likely varies depending on what they are working on.
    This.