Default Oculus Rift support

I know it's pretty early to ask, and DDO might not be the game to play with the Oculus Rift.
    Do you think DDO will support the Oculus Rift when it's released? Devkits are out for a while. It might be pretty awesome to do some quests with the Rift.

If you don't know what Oculus Rift is, it's a new VR Goggles, with (when released) a full HD screen and a headtracker.

I heard the oculus is having problems.

Main problem being it burns your eyeballs.

I'm also pretty sure Oculus would be better on a FPS game.

Not that ddo doesn't have FPS perspective... but I don't think FPS was the main goal of DDo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmeros View Post
    I know it's pretty early to ask, and DDO might not be the game to play with the Oculus Rift.
    Do you think DDO will support the Oculus Rift when it's released? Devkits are out for a while. It might be pretty awesome to do some quests with the Rift.

If you don't know what Oculus Rift is, it's a new VR Goggles, with (when released) a full HD screen and a headtracker.
    99% sure it will not happen. Like anything else that requires substantial game engine changes.
    Scoobmx Scoobshot Arcscoob Beefscoob : Imperial Assassins : Argonnessen
    My Builds : Abbot Raid Manual : Weapon Damage Modeler : My Trades

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmeros View Post

Probably will be awhile before any games jump on the bandwagon for Rift considering its barely in prototype atm. as for DDO support, im sure there might be some generic software that acts as a virtual keyboard that you can set once it is released, but other then that depending on how extensive they need to work on the worlds I doubt it'd be in many f2p gaming schedules.

still for future games Oculus rift + omni would be nice, although the price would be abit high (think the prepurchase for helping kickstart Rift was like $275, so final product will probably be more. and an Omni is like $350 to help kickstart it and get the hardware so final products will proabbly be like 350 for rift and 500 for omni.

Community Member

Default Rift support - my prediction. within a year or two - and a mistake.

I am not a member of the DDO development team, I have done extensive Rift coding and Gaming Coding, so the below is my opinion only.

DDO is currently written without "depth" support. So you couldn't just "bolt on" Rift support.

Having said that, it shouldn't be that hard if they wanted to do it. The use of OpenGL makes things fairly easy. The work is all client side, which makes things easier.

Should they do it?

NO - a resounding no. The pace of action in DDO is way to fast for the Rift. If you were standing still and monsters/party members were moving around like they do, your brain wouldn't be able to cope. Not once the blurr from the headset motion starts to kick in.

Personally I am not a fan of Rift in RPGs - I don;t like that you are "moved around" - instead of moving yourself - the lack of balance queues irks me. It works much better in cockpit games - where you expect that you will be moved around.

The Rift Dev kit is WAYYY to low resolution for DDO to be pretty. If they did a resolution drop on the game and redesigned all the models to be much lower resolution, just for rift support, then that is surmountable, however the consumer version will probably be announced soon - and that will be 1080p.

If I were in there dev team - I would grab a dev kit - and start playing with it - but only in prep for the consumer version - and even then I would be recommending to the board NOT to do it - But the cost of including rift support should go down quite a long way once the next version comes out - So I expect in a year or so, the game will have rift support - but then I also expected it to have trackIR support by now, so I am a biased commentator.

Minkie

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

That thread necro though.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Yeah but there's new news on it. Does that really count?
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

Community Member

Type Oculus Rift and DDO into google...and all I ever get is this necro thread, every single time. Depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Armisian View Post
    Type Oculus Rift and DDO into google...and all I ever get is this necro thread, every single time. Depressing.
    Yeah, and that is a reason for necroing a thread again?!

Get over it, Rift will not work with DDO. Reasons?

DDO playerbase much to small and Rift player base even smaller, to justify the development costs atm. Rift is still novelty tech and not state-of-the-art in MMO industry. If DDO still exists in 5 years and the player base wants to play with Rift (2.0 then?), let´s talk again. Until then - let this thread remain dead, please!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post
    I heard the oculus is having problems.

Main problem being it burns your eyeballs.

*snip

FALSE!

The main problem with the Oculus Rift, is that it is now owned by Facebook.

Community Member

Default 3d support already exists

I have an AOC e2352Phz montior that supports DDO 3D using TriDef 3D tech. Probably doesn't even need to be modified to support Rift, the motion portion is simply input. BTW, I'm still bummed Rift is a facebook product now.