Community Member

Default 6 Man Raid... Can it be done?

Ok, so my question is pretty simple, me and few of my real life friends and family have started playing DDO, and we are loving it. The adventures/quests are very rich in story and just plain fun. However, I would like to up the challenge a bit and try some of the raids.

My group is pretty shy and well, we work well together but most of us are pretty laid back casual players. Heck, our cleric, my wife, seems to fall asleep and accidentally Leroy Jenkins things at times. In her defense, she has a hard time staying awake past 10pm and gets up normally by 5am for work.

So, this leads me to the dilemma I'm currently in, we are unfit to group up with others, but I'm not sure we can handle a Raid with only 6 people. We have a well rounded party and work really efficiently in the normal adventures, but are the Raids too difficult? We are currently 7th level and I was looking at Chronoscope, but I am also concerned that the loot drops and the experience may be too low because the wiki says it is for 6th level.

I want to ask this all before, because I don't want to have the group all buy these adventure packs only for us to discover we can't run the Raid, or even if we can, that it might not be worth it.

Please help some lowly newbs! =)
    Last edited by Steelnyte; 06-18-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Chronoscope is one of the easier raids, since it's a straight-up seek-n-destroy (i.e., no puzzles or traps or anything special to deal with), as well as the lowest level; so it might be a good test for your group's abilities to short-man a raid. Read the wiki page and make sure to prep the right spells & weapons before going in. [EDIT: having at least a lvl 7 cleric is good, since she can bring Death Ward, Resist 20, and FoM to the table.] This is a good summary of all raids.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 06-18-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Community Member

Thanks unbongwah, much appreciated man! I think I'll take your advice and propose to the group to at least try it, worst case at least we learn what we can and can't handle.

Community Member

I play with a small guild that doesn't PUG, and we rarely have more than 6 people on, and we've done a few of the raids. Yes you tend to have to be over-level, but for instance we did The Reaver's Fate (a level 14 raid from the Gianthold pack) successfully this weekend on normal with, I think, 5 level 16 characters.

You may not to be able to do the really high level raids, or on harder difficulty settings, but you'll still have fun, and get some decent items and experience out of it. And the packs with raids generally have some good quests along with them, so it's hardly a waste.

Community Member

Thank you Urgforum, that's some good info. I didn't realize that you also got some quests with them as well. That's awesome.

with only 6 adventurers raids at level is tough

eventually, you read at the forums super characters soloing them

Yes, 6 people are enough to handle raids... as long as you are willing to either spend the time to learn them, or are willing to read some spoilers ahead of time.

And sometimes "spend the time to learn them" might involve a LR or two...
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

I will chime in and say that Chrono is a good starting raid.

You would be surprised what people that can actually work together can do.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

With some coordination & teamwork, and maybe a little research ahead of time via ddowiki, 6-man raids are totally doable. Chronoscope is a great place to start, as the way its put together including dialogues, explanations etc. mean it's basically an introduction to raiding as it is, but it gives some nice (bound to account, unlike other raids) loot & can be revisited in epic levels too.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelnyte View Post
    We are currently 7th level and I was looking at Chronoscope, but I am also concerned that the loot drops and the experience may be too low because the wiki says it is for 6th level.
    Even with 6 people you should pull a couple of named items in Chrono. And you will all get at least one item from the end reward list, which offers a bunch to choose from. Oh and pay attention to the npc dialog & dm narration in the quest and it will help you to figure out where to go.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

As long as you can follow instructions (don't kill [guy x] until [critter y] is killed, etc., then you're fit to raid. You might not contribute all that much DPS and you might not want anyone to count on you as the main healer, but every raid has a couple of spots available for people who won't contribute as much to the direct success of the mission. As long as you're not actively hindering the completion of the raid, you're fine.

Just make sure that you let the raid's leader know that you're new and willing to follow instructions, but not confident of your DDO abilities yet.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default Of course

Short Manning raids is easily doable.

Chronoscope, Tempest Spine, Reaver's Fate, Shroud, and Zawabi's Revenge can easily be short manned. I would start with Chronoscope and learn what you cannot do in a RAID. But you might need for that cleric to stay awake in some of them.

Oddlived soloed Vision of Destruction when level cap was 16, no guild buffs existed, no hirelings existed, no DDO store existed.

Since you have already done Reaver's Fate your group has the skills to take on other raids. If pugs can do raids where maybe four people even have a clue on how to play, having six people that actually work together means you are ahead of 90% of the other RAID groups already.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt