Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    I've been using the DDO preloader and it has solved my problems.

    All Turbine has to do is stick a short routine in the beginning of the launcher to preload the big files.
    Strangely, Wanesa's preloader only caches two files; dndclient.exe and client_gamelogic.dat. Combined those files are about 258Mb. If that's all it takes to speed things up, something is very wrong with the way Turbine is loading assets.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

  2. #22
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    work....
    Posts
    30,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdinus7 View Post
    As I have made clear in every post in this thread, there is no such thing as absolutely safe.
    From external intrusion (which is what this discussion is about)? Sure there is. You don't connect it. Just sort of defeats the purpose of MMOs though.

  3. #23
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdinus7 View Post
    As I have made clear in every post in this thread, there is no such thing as absolutely safe. It is calculated risk. Just like using the Internet at all. Unplug your computer from the web if you want "absolutely safe". And even then, you still haven't made it. You'd still have physical security concerns.
    Absolutely safe? A directory on the hard drive whose contents are not being modified from sources outside of the system. Close enough for the purposes of AVG? A directory which is only updated manually, by someone who manually does a scan of the update, and then only to the extent that the malware can be detected by the security software.

    Those are the intended uses of the support you are advocating people use, and then only with the backstop of daily scans.

    What you are advocating is that people use this support for directories that are automatically updated, unattended if the launcher happens to be currently active. You are also implicitly assuming that people have their security software set to run daily scans, which almost assuredly is not the case for everyone who is reading this.

    A calculated risk? At the very least. More like a big gaping security hole. There is a big difference between new malware that security software won't catch, and giving a free pass to every piece of malware existent.

    Trying to toss out ridiculous comparisons of "Unplug your computer from the web" does not even come close to accurately describing the trade off being made.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdinus7 View Post
    Thanks for all the thread bumps though. ?*I mean, for something you clearly think is terrible, you are doing a lot to keep it visible, :P
    You tossed the idea out there, while down playing the security risks. Its far better that this thread exists with some realistic discussion of the security considerations, rather than just letting it sit as a time bomb waiting to explode.

    I am more than happy to issue the challenge, to Turbine, you, and anyone else to be accountable for what happens if the "calculated risk" fails. The fact that no one apparently will should serve as a warning sign to anyone who reads this. If they decide to do this anyway, despite the discussion, then they shouldn't come back to the forum's crying when they end up paying the price.

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Strangely, Wanesa's preloader only caches two files; dndclient.exe and client_gamelogic.dat. Combined those files are about 258Mb. If that's all it takes to speed things up, something is very wrong with the way Turbine is loading assets.
    Pretty much this. Turbine has performance problems with the client implementation, and instead of pressing for them to resolve the issue, we have a forum thread which advocates opening security holes on customer's computers as a work around.

    That really isn't the way to make progress on this issue.
    Last edited by GermanicusMaximus; 06-19-2013 at 06:49 PM.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    <Bump>
    Once again, thanks for the bump. Your efforts to keep this thread visible and lively are appreciated!

  5. #25
    Community Member STROBE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    175

    Default Put turbine folder on a 16GB tumb drive

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdinus7 View Post

    <snip>

    or long load screens,

    <snip>

    Or, as others have suggested in other threads, you can buy an SSD (or do both, of course).

    <snip>

    .
    I copied the 'Turbine' folder to a 16GB thumb drive. I made a copy of my desktop shortcut and modified the 'target' entry to point to the thumb drive. I use this modified shortcut to run the game.

    For me the decrease in game startup, character load, and zone load times has been very good. I would say the times are 5% to 10% of what they were running off a harddisk drive.

    I got the idea from a thread in the player to player tech help forum, about 2.5 years ago. Don't know if the thread is still there. Tip - 8GB thumb drive was not big enough to hold all the files during a game patch/update.

    Note that when the game patches/updates it, is to the thumbdrive files only. I have to use my original desktop shortcut to start the game from the harddisk drive if I want those files to also update/patch.

    Hope this helps somebody. STROBE

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STROBE View Post
    I copied the 'Turbine' folder to a 16GB thumb drive. I made a copy of my desktop shortcut and modified the 'target' entry to point to the thumb drive. I use this modified shortcut to run the game.

    For me the decrease in game startup, character load, and zone load times has been very good. I would say the times are 5% to 10% of what they were running off a harddisk drive.

    I got the idea from a thread in the player to player tech help forum, about 2.5 years ago. Don't know if the thread is still there. Tip - 8GB thumb drive was not big enough to hold all the files during a game patch/update.

    Note that when the game patches/updates it, is to the thumbdrive files only. I have to use my original desktop shortcut to start the game from the harddisk drive if I want those files to also update/patch.

    Hope this helps somebody. STROBE
    Yep, that works quite well. The main caveat being that flash drives have a maximum number of writes, so you may end up reducing its life span. You should also make sure your USB interface is new enough to be faster than your disk, though most newish machines shouldn't have an issue.

  7. #27
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    work....
    Posts
    30,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdinus7 View Post
    Yep, that works quite well. The main caveat being that flash drives have a maximum number of writes, so you may end up reducing its life span. You should also make sure your USB interface is new enough to be faster than your disk, though most newish machines shouldn't have an issue.
    How do you keep a USB thumb drive in great shape... emm... Answer: don't use it.

    Face it, just using a thumb drive you are going to "reduce its span". So if you have one, and you don't use it, what good is it going to do you? Just like consumables in the game. What good is it going to do you if you aren't willing to use it?

    While writes may help to kill, remember this is an MMO. It mostly will do nothing but reading for the most part save for updates.

  8. #28
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Strangely, Wanesa's preloader only caches two files; dndclient.exe and client_gamelogic.dat. Combined those files are about 258Mb. If that's all it takes to speed things up, something is very wrong with the way Turbine is loading assets.
    Yes, I'm amazed at the difference, too, and it does make me wonder.

  9. #29
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STROBE View Post
    I copied the 'Turbine' folder to a 16GB thumb drive. I made a copy of my desktop shortcut and modified the 'target' entry to point to the thumb drive. I use this modified shortcut to run the game.

    For me the decrease in game startup, character load, and zone load times has been very good. I would say the times are 5% to 10% of what they were running off a harddisk drive.

    I got the idea from a thread in the player to player tech help forum, about 2.5 years ago. Don't know if the thread is still there. Tip - 8GB thumb drive was not big enough to hold all the files during a game patch/update.

    Note that when the game patches/updates it, is to the thumbdrive files only. I have to use my original desktop shortcut to start the game from the harddisk drive if I want those files to also update/patch.

    Hope this helps somebody. STROBE
    I have an older Dell (Dimension E510) that I used to use for my Mule account - just to trade items, not to do anything else. U18 made it impossible to even log into the Mule on that computer. So I installed DDO on a flash drive which does work for logging in (its now faster than my main computer with a quad4 and 8g RAM). However the Dell now crashes frequently after closing DDO.

  10. #30
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I have an older Dell (Dimension E510) that I used to use for my Mule account - just to trade items, not to do anything else. U18 made it impossible to even log into the Mule on that computer. So I installed DDO on a flash drive which does work for logging in (its now faster than my main computer with a quad4 and 8g RAM). However the Dell now crashes frequently after closing DDO.
    I'm on an E510 right now using the onboard integrated graphics with DX9 Be sure to set the video settings low, (cant hurt to set the engine speed low too.)

    I can play without crashing. It's not glorious, but you can perform all game functions.

    Either USB or preload avoids the loading problems. 4G Ram makes a diff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload