Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fix to slow login times and long loading screens

I did this recently to help a friend who plays, and thought it might be of benefit to others. If you have trouble with getting disconnected on your first login attempt or long load screens, it may be due to your anti-virus software. Most anti-virus software scans every file as it is opened and tries to determine if it is malicious or not. This prevents the opening program from doing anything until the anti-virus finishes scanning that file - greatly increases disk access times. This is called "Resident Shield" in AVG, for example.

While you could disable your anti-virus to improve performance - that would be a bad idea. Instead, anti-virus software generally lets you specify exceptions to this. Again, using AVG 2013 as an example, if you open the user interface, then select computer, then select settings, on the left hand side you'll see a list of categories. Pick "Exceptions" in that list. Then pick an Exception Type of "Folder", and browse to or enter your DDO install directory. Make sure the "Resident Shield" option is checked, but you can uncheck the scan option. Then apply / ok your changes.

This will tell it to still perform your periodic virus scan on the DDO files, but it won't scan them every time they are accessed. This can greatly improve your game's performance. My friend no longer has trouble with failing to connect to the world on their first login, for example.

Or, as others have suggested in other threads, you can buy an SSD (or do both, of course).

As a final warning, however, this does slightly reduce your protection against malware. In my opinion, the risk is quite small - as your periodic scan will still check the files, and it would have to be malware that targets DDO players. Nevertheless, you should be aware that it in certain circumstances it may have security implications.

Edit:
    As pointed out below, if you use the in-game browser to visit things aside from the DDO store and help tickets, then you shouldn't do this.
    Last edited by chrisdinus7; 06-19-2013 at 12:04 PM.

This give me a new idea for some malware...I mean, ways to improve my game's performance.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Community Member

No thanks.

Based upon the current level of care that goes into crafting a game patch/update, my anti-virus software has DDO targeted as a prime scanning candidate. Circumventing real time protection for the sake of playing a game seems ridiculous to me. I would hate to see someone disable their real time protection, only to have a key logger steal the log in info to that person's online bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    No thanks.

Based upon the current level of care that goes into crafting a game patch/update, my anti-virus software has DDO targeted as a prime scanning candidate. Circumventing real time protection for the sake of playing a game seems ridiculous to me. I would hate to see someone disable their real time protection, only to have a key logger steal the log in info to that person's online bank account.
    It doesn't disable real-time protection (at least, what I suggested). All it does is prevents the scanning of those files on open. So, for it to be a threat, your computer would already have to be compromised, and the attacker would have to count on those infected playing DDO. Given the population, that isn't really a good bet. You are far more likely to get a virus on your linux or apple computer then hit a DDO player. The only thing you'd need to be cautious about is downloading programs designed for DDO players that install into the DDO program directory, like a mod for it. And you should be cautious about that anyway. Remember that anti-virus works in an reactive sense. They really only catch things that have been reported. Hence, anything niche enough to target just DDO players probably wouldn't have been reported and added to their blocking abilities anyway.

Is there a theoretical risk? Sure. But if you are worried about that level of risk, then I hope that the only web browser you use is something like Lynx, otherwise that is a far more likely target that is far easier to exploit.

EDIT:

As to your concerns about quality, perhaps you should check out bugzilla.mozilla.org and see how many open bugs and security violations that they have in their tracking system. I'd tell you how many, but a quick search is limited to 10,000 open bugs, .

Plus, the fact you even need anti-virus speaks volumes about the quality of operating systems and web browsers.
    Last edited by chrisdinus7; 06-18-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdinus7 View Post
    Again, using AVG 2013 as an example, if you open the user interface, then select computer, then select settings, on the left hand side you'll see a list of categories. Pick "Exceptions" in that list. Then pick an Exception Type of "Folder", and browse to or enter your DDO install directory. Make sure the "Resident Shield" option is checked, but you can uncheck the scan option. Then apply / ok your changes.
    It doesn't disable real-time protection (at least, what I suggested).
    What you suggested disables real time protection for anything in the DDO install directory. In doing so, you are implicitly assuming that what DDO downloads is safe. That includes not only what Turbine intended to download, but any malware which has infected their build systems and worked its way into the latest game update.

They have virus/malware protection for their systems, right?

Face it, they can't even bother to QA a game patch sufficiently enough to avoid requiring customers to hand patch the install directories. The can't get the game forums to work correctly, a month and a half after they rolled them out. They undercut customer security by forcing the reuse of game log in info for forum access. They bill their customers hundreds of times because they can't get their billing software to work properly.

These are all extremely basic IT functions, and Turbine seems so inept at the moment that they have failed all of these tasks just within the last 3 months. I have no more confidence in their ability to properly secure their computer systems than I do in their ability at any other basic IT function that I would expect any competent company to be able to perform.

Well, surely they must at least scan the download image before making it available to customers, right? I mean, that is something that any competent provider of commercial software does as a matter of course.

Check out the current state of the forums before you answer.

DDO has a fair number of customers with limited technological expertise. Giving out this kind of advice is ill advised, to say the least.

I am reminded of the infamous case where DDO forgot to renew its domain registration. It took a while for the newly renewed registration to propagate through the various DNS servers. People on these forums offered up the "helpful" advice of setting the needed IP addresses in the hosts file. I reminded people to remember to remove the changes from the hosts files once the changes made it to their local DNS server, but I knew exactly what would happen. People would forget to do it, especially those with limited computer expertise.

Lately, we have been seeing a lot of mentions of cleaning up your hosts file to resolve technical issues. Its not hard to understand why.

I can just see the scenario now. Little Johnny, trying to play DDO on his parents computer, notices that DDO runs really slow. Johnny reads forums, and finds how to "fix" the problem. You even laid out all the details. Johnny "fixes" the problem. At some point in the future, DDO downloads a game patch, and Johnny launches the game. Malware ignored, per the actions of Johnny, acting on you advice. Later that day, Mom uses the computer to access online bank account...

Sorry, your advice is not only really bad, it is borderline irresponsible. Its people like you who give IT security guys nightmares.
    Last edited by GermanicusMaximus; 06-18-2013 at 08:23 PM.

<snip>
    Your "littly johnny" scenario is a pointless appeal to emotion. He could more easily download a virus thinking it is an add-on. Secondly, using the modification I suggested and default settings, the files will be scanned every 24 hours.

As to your theory that Turbine is so horrid compared to other software - again, look at the OS and browser you are using. Of DDO, Windows, and Firefox: Which one has had the fewest security breaches? Oh right, DDO. Which one is the least frequently used and the least likely to be targeted by malware? Oh right, DDO. If other companies really did such a good job as you suggest with the basic IT functions, we wouldn't need anti-virus software all. Yet without, Windows can't even stay clean long enough to apply the patches. DDO is a shining example of security relative to Windows and Firefox (or IE or Chrome or take your pick of javascript capable browsers).

Is it possible that DDO will be compromised? Sure. But even if it was, they'd steal the identity info out of the database, not waste their time trying to insert a virus into a game patch. That'd be far more valuable and easier. Secondly, again, if they wrote a virus into the game patch, anti-virus wouldn't do a darned thing. You'd still get it. Anti-virus only blocks what has been reported. Further, if your OS using any security at all, corrupting DDO wouldn't let an attacker do anything useful anyway (except steal your DDO information, which they'd already have in the attack model you suggest). Because your OS should be properly sandbox applications in their own virtual memory and only allowing interaction through controlled APIs. Sure, there is a slight risk to doing what I said. But you are vastly more likely to get malware by visiting a website then you would be via this. So, if you browse the web, you obviously tolerate this level of risk.

I am sure you'll argue against it, but the fact is, the basic software on your computer (the OS and web browser) are what virus makers attack. And that is where the vast majority of technical security breaches occur (most security breaches are due to social engineering, but that is not really relevant here). And if you think about it, it is obvious why. So go ahead, fear the mild risk of an up to 24 hour delay in scanning your files (or just scan the directory right after patching and remove the risk) - all the while using software that is much more common and vulnerable.
    Last edited by chrisdinus7; 06-18-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Community Member
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath

OP, thanks for posting this info, +1.

It may not be for everyone, but is certainly an option to work around this issue which plagues many players.

It's nice to see some helpful posts from time to time <grin>

...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

Thumbs up

Cheer OP, Yes. been doing this for while.

helps a tad, especially with system resource.

@TrolliusMaximus... somewhere close? -there is short pier needing long walk.
    TKSK - Thelanis ("Best Server" -NyTimes).

I fixed it by installing Windows and DDO to a SSD, insta zone!

Thanks OP, this is great information.

Community Member

Thanks OP.

Without having to endure a litany of how terrible Norton is can anyone walk me through the parallel steps I'd take for Norton 360? From what I can tell I can select a folder to turn off for scans, but I don't think I want that option as I still want it to scan that folder when I install new files there or when I run periodic scans. I just want it to scan the file/folder every time it runs. I'm not seeing that particular option, but it may be under another section and I'm just missing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RumbIe View Post
    Thanks OP.

Without having to endure a litany of how terrible Norton is can anyone walk me through the parallel steps I'd take for Norton 360? From what I can tell I can select a folder to turn off for scans, but I don't think I want that option as I still want it to scan that folder when I install new files there or when I run periodic scans. I just want it to scan the file/folder every time it runs. I'm not seeing that particular option, but it may be under another section and I'm just missing it.
    This article from Norton should do the trick:
    https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...rProfile_en_us
    Just note that steps 4, 5, and 6 are for scan exclusions, which you do not want. Just do the exclusion for auto-protect.

Or this one:
    https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...ail_2013_en_us

As was noted above, don't download anything into the DDO install directory that you are excluding from the real-time scan.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

One reason to not do this is if you used the in game browser to visit sites outside the store and help tickets.

I never browsed in game previously, and I don't know if you still can or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    One reason to not do this is if you used the in game browser to visit sites outside the store and help tickets.

That is a good point. I have never really used aside from the store and help tickets. But if you use it for that, then you shouldn't so this. Edited the OP to note this.

You can still get to third party sites, but only easily through the Community links on the DDO home page. All browser context menus are disabled which makes ad hoc navigation difficult. Still, I suppose some of those Community sites could present a threat, however small such may be. Probability-wise it's really not an issue.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Community sites could present a threat, however small such may be. Probability-wise it's really not an issue.
    Agreed, but remember. Even the wiki got hit with an injected virus. (wasn't that what happened that one time period? I forget the exacts.)

While chances are small, it is still possible.

Community Member

Your "littly johnny" scenario is a pointless appeal to emotion. He could more easily download a virus thinking it is an add-on. Secondly, using the modification I suggested and default settings, the files will be scanned every 24 hours.

As to your theory that Turbine is so horrid compared to other software - again, look at the OS and browser you are using. Of DDO, Windows, and Firefox: Which one has had the fewest security breaches? Oh right, DDO. Which one is the least frequently used and the least likely to be targeted by malware? Oh right, DDO. If other companies really did such a good job as you suggest with the basic IT functions, we wouldn't need anti-virus software all. Yet without, Windows can't even stay clean long enough to apply the patches. DDO is a shining example of security relative to Windows and Firefox (or IE or Chrome or take your pick of javascript capable browsers).

Is it possible that DDO will be compromised? Sure. But even if it was, they'd steal the identity info out of the database, not waste their time trying to insert a virus into a game patch. That'd be far more valuable and easier. Secondly, again, if they wrote a virus into the game patch, anti-virus wouldn't do a darned thing. You'd still get it. Anti-virus only blocks what has been reported. Further, if your OS using any security at all, corrupting DDO wouldn't let an attacker do anything useful anyway (except steal your DDO information, which they'd already have in the attack model you suggest). Because your OS should be properly sandbox applications in their own virtual memory and only allowing interaction through controlled APIs. Sure, there is a slight risk to doing what I said. But you are vastly more likely to get malware by visiting a website then you would be via this. So, if you browse the web, you obviously tolerate this level of risk.

I am sure you'll argue against it, but the fact is, the basic software on your computer (the OS and web browser) are what virus makers attack. And that is where the vast majority of technical security breaches occur (most security breaches are due to social engineering, but that is not really relevant here). And if you think about it, it is obvious why. So go ahead, fear the mild risk of an up to 24 hour delay in scanning your files (or just scan the directory right after patching and remove the risk) - all the while using software that is much more common and vulnerable.
    Sorry, in general, you fail Security 101. Your lack of understanding of how malware spreads and attacks computing systems is so deficient that I can't bother wasting my time trying to educate you.

If, however, Turbine thought this was a good idea, I'm sure they would embrace it. Why don't you give that a shot? Get Turbine to officially recommend this course of action. In fact, get them to accept liability for any security breeches that occur to customer systems because of this security bypass.

Good luck with that. Its likely that even Turbine has someone in authority who is smart enough to run away from that bit of foolish.

However, I certainly hope that you are going to be around to pick up the pieces if this blows up in your face. I'll even include another challenge: When Turbine runs away from embracing this action as fast as they can, you can step into the void. Publicly post your real name, your contact information, and a declaration of legal liability for what you so fervidly advocate. I'm sure THAT would get everyone's attention.

Finally, AVG own statement about this support: Warning: Please always make sure that the file or program in question really is absolutely safe!

I can't wait for you to describe the methodology you used to determine that everything in the DDO install directory, now and in the future, will always be "absolutely safe".

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

With the passing of MyDDO you cannot, you end up on a splash screen where all you have is a nice picture.

External links had to be setup in MyDDO.

Now the information form the OP is interesting, and there's a few things that needs to be pointed out :

What it does is disable the scanning upon opening of the files already on your hard disk. If you have told you antivirus that downloads from Turbine are to be trusted it is not good, on the other hand if you have told your antivirus that the downloads from Turbine are like any other downloads and are not to be trusted, your antivirus should check these files at the time of the download. ( or you have misconfigured it )
    As such it can be assumed they are safe.

Now Personally, I consider antivirus to be bloatwares that just waste memory, hard disk space and cpu cycle.
    I don't have one on my PC, but I know enough to secure my computer. ( and I don't go browsing on what I call untrusted sites without first sandboxing my browsing in a virtual machine... or by using the nice Ultra 45 I have sitting next room, no way a Windows Virus will work on Solaris 10 Sun4u architecture )
    Last edited by Flavilandile; 06-19-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

<Pointless Trolling>

I can't wait for you to describe the methodology you used to determine that everything in the DDO install directory, now and in the future, will always be "absolutely safe".
    As I have made clear in every post in this thread, there is no such thing as absolutely safe. It is calculated risk. Just like using the Internet at all. Unplug your computer from the web if you want "absolutely safe". And even then, you still haven't made it. You'd still have physical security concerns.

Thanks for all the thread bumps though. I mean, for something you clearly think is terrible, you are doing a lot to keep it visible, :P
    Last edited by chrisdinus7; 06-19-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

I don't run an active anti-virus scanner, so I know for me that's not a factor.

(I'm -very- careful and know what I'm doing, i don't advise this strategy for anyone who hasn't studied the issues in substantial depth.)

I've been using the DDO preloader and it has solved my problems.

All Turbine has to do is stick a short routine in the beginning of the launcher to preload the big files.

Problem "solved" - errr well, greatly mitigated in many configurations.

(I suppose it could be a launcher option and/or an .ini file option.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast