Thread: Smoking and DDO

Hybrid View

Community Member Cedrica-the-Bard's Avatar

Default Smoking and DDO

First off, if you are NOT a smoker, this thread will be of no interest to you.

I just wanted to comment about how annoying it is to go afk for a smoke or NOT being able to get that nicotine fix in the middle of an intense raid! Anyone who smokes knows what I mean. But hubby and I have switched to e-cigs a few months back and absolutely don't regret it, at all!

I did a ton of research on them and we first tried the kind that you have to fill up with the juice. But then we ordered Green Smokes and they are perfect! As close as you can get to the real thing, without all the harmful chemicals and tar, no juice to refill, our orders come on time, every time, and at the equivalent of $2 a pack we're saving over $400 a month (smokes here cost $10 a pack!). In these tough economic times, that's significant and frees up room to buy goodies like +4 tomes and XP stones when they are on sale.

I highly encourage any DDO'er who smokes to give e-cigs a try. Do your own research on the brands but if you'd like to try the Green Smokes, here is the link: Green Smokes.

Cheers!

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Totally thumbs up to this and I used to smoke and did it for 20 years, so I know what you mean.
    It took me 5 years of quitting to finally quit. Don't quit quitting they would say. But the vapor cigs your talking about did not exist at that time and I wish they did.

I am going to talk about people who smoke at work now. I wanted to make my own thread, but saw this one and decided to fit it in here.
    Here goes.

Ex-smokers who smell cig smoke get headaches! At least I do and when I smell it on your clothes I get an instant reaction of nausea!

So many cig butts on the ground outside, makes me frown. Mother Nature and the Butts she has to put up with. You know the filters do nothing and are just a marketing scheme. If you're going to smoke don't buy the ones with the filters please. So many Butts polluting the Earth, so the filters(butts) need to go!

Every time you need a cig burns me up inside because if I sit down to take a break I get a funny look from my boss! I say to him, "What! Do I need to be a smoker to get a break!?" I sometimes go outside with the smokers to get a break, but the smell makes me sick. I have to stand 30 feet away while I talk to them and that is just stupid looking.

Smokers get special privileges it seams. They smoke alone and 20 minutes later their smoking buddy says to them, Hey wanna go smoke? and they say, I just did about 20 minutes ago, but sure, I will smoke with you.
    This is so f'n lame. But I used to do this too. I was this way once.

My co-workers would answer phones and handle the workload while I was a slave to smoking. It never bothered me that sometimes our smoke sessions turned into 20 minute 2 or 3 smoke conversations about Current Events and stuff.

I did the math and came to a shocking conclusion here at my job. These numbers I came up with are at my job and are not typical to all, but it is what happens where I work. These numbers are averages.

8 hour shift. Twice an hour for 10 minutes = 160 minutes of smoking. But now I need to add in 5 minutes per hour dedicated to the ritual smokers go through before they start their smoke breaks. Finding their smokes, finding a buddy to smoke with, getting coats on to go outside, then coming back from outside to catch up on what they missed and to put their coats away = another 40 minutes. 160 +40 = 200 minutes in an 8 hour shift or 3 hours 20 minutes! And this does not include a lunch hour!

So you can see what I am getting at. Smokers where I work don't work that much and without even realizing it, is making the non-smokers left to pick up the slack for the ignorant bliss that smokers are in.

Imagine if non-smokers sat down to take breaks for that long! That would not be tolerated!

I have given these facts to the boss and other people at work and they just say, oh well. And do not take it as seriously as I do. I am going to do something new though and thanks to the OP I am going to mention to them they could try an alternative, just to poke at them. I will see what happens. They will not need to go outside and stroke each others egos though and compliment each other about how cool they are. But I will mention it to them about how vapor cigs is better for the company as a whole.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by zDragonz; 11-11-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    Totally thumbs up to this and I used to smoke and did it for 20 years, so I know what you mean.
    It took me 5 years of quitting to finally quit. Don't quit quitting they would say. But the vapor cigs your talking about did not exist at that time and I wish they did.

I am going to talk about people who smoke at work now. I wanted to make my own thread, but saw this one and decided to fit it in here.
    Here goes.

Ex-smokers who smell cig smoke get headaches! At least I do and when I smell it on your clothes I get an instant reaction of nausea!

So many cig butts on the ground outside, makes me frown. Mother Nature and the Butts she has to put up with. You know the filters do nothing and are just a marketing scheme. If you're going to smoke don't buy the ones with the filters please. So many Butts polluting the Earth, so the filters(butts) need to go!

Every time you need a cig burns me up inside because if I sit down to take a break I get a funny look from my boss! I say to him, "What! Do I need to be a smoker to get a break!?" I sometimes go outside with the smokers to get a break, but the smell makes me sick. I have to stand 30 feet away while I talk to them and that is just stupid looking.

Smokers get special privileges it seams. They smoke alone and 20 minutes later their smoking buddy says to them, Hey wanna go smoke? and they say, I just did about 20 minutes ago, but sure, I will smoke with you.

My co-workers would answer phones and handle the workload while I was a slave to smoking. It never bothered me that sometimes our smoke sessions turned into 20 minute 2 or 3 smoke conversations about Current Events and stuff.

I did the math and came to a shocking conclusion here at my job. These numbers I came up with are at my job and are not typical to all, but it is what happens where I work. These numbers are averages.

8 hour shift. Twice an hour for 10 minutes = 160 minutes of smoking. But now I need to add in 5 minutes per hour dedicated to the ritual smokers go through before they start their smoke breaks. Finding their smokes, finding a buddy to smoke with, getting coats on to go outside, then coming back from outside to catch up on what they missed and to put their coats away = another 40 minutes. 160 +40 = 200 minutes in an 8 hour shift or 3 hours 20 minutes! And this does not include a lunch hour!

So you can see what I am getting at. Smokers where I work don't work that much and without even realizing it, is making the non-smokers left to pick up the slack for the ignorant bliss that smokers are in.

Imagine if non-smokers sat down to take breaks for that long! That would not be tolerated!

I have given these facts to the boss and other people at work and they just say, oh well. And do not take it as seriously as I do. I am going to do something new though and thanks to the OP I am going to mention to them they could try an alternative, just to poke at them. I will see what happens.

Thanks for reading.
    Be happy that your boss at work does not demand you repay those 200 min a day you took from him when you smoked, I know I would start to demand it, if you started to make a fuss about it.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Be happy that your boss at work does not demand you repay those 200 min a day you took from him when you smoked, I know I would start to demand it, if you started to make a fuss about it.
    My boss smokes

I quit smoking 5 years ago and it took me 5 years to quit. I can relate to smokers. I never said I was not guilty. I admit I was being selfish.
    Last edited by zDragonz; 11-11-2013 at 10:37 AM.

It is not a fuss. It is a realization that smokers at work seem to get privileges non-smokers do not because when they are outside they are out of site and out of mind. Also as I stated I was talking about where I work and it may be different where others work. The fact my boss also smokes encourages it. If anyone can relate to me here is the time to say it and talk about it.

The OP makes some good points. I also want to say I am not trying to hijack this thread. But since it is in Off Topic I figured I could talk a little about smoking.

It is not a fuss. It is a realization that smokers at work seem to get privileges non-smokers do not because when they are outside they are out of site and out of mind. Also as I stated I was talking about where I work and it may be different where others work. The fact my boss also smokes encourages it. If anyone can relate to me here is the time to say it and talk about it.

The OP makes some good points. I also want to say I am not trying to hijack this thread. But since it is in Off Topic I figured I could talk a little about smoking.
    Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about, everywhere I worked people got 15 break for every 2 hours, no matter what, 30 min to 1 hour lunch (depending, I do a lot of contract work, so that changes) If you came to me with the numbers you are touting now, I would be looking at you like you were stealing company time. Taking a smoke break twice an hour is crazy, and if you did that, you were really being deceptive to your employer in regards to your rightfully allowed break time.

As I see it, since you did it, and partook in it, that makes you guilty, and that means, as sad as this might be, that's ground for dismissal if you commonly took several breaks in a row, or would knowingly exceed your legal right to a 15 min every 2 hour break limit, like you said you did.

If your employer allowed you and others to abuse him so, that is his choice, but, it's still abuse, and I bet ground for you to find another job for doing so, and I wager that if you look in your employee handbook, which you may never have taken the time to read, ever, it should be listed that you are entitled by law, to a 15 min break every 2 hours if you work an 8+ hour shift. I would also wager that there is notations that you can also be disciplined and even fired for exceeding that.

So you may have been allowed to get away with it, but that does not mean any rights to do so are bestowed upon you or your coworkers. Which may be why your boss is blowing you off about this.

Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about, everywhere I worked people got 15 break for every 2 hours, no matter what, 30 min to 1 hour lunch (depending, I do a lot of contract work, so that changes) If you came to me with the numbers you are touting now, I would be looking at you like you were stealing company time. Taking a smoke break twice an hour is crazy, and if you did that, you were really being deceptive to your employer in regards to your rightfully allowed break time.

As I see it, since you did it, and partook in it, that makes you guilty, and that means, as sad as this might be, that's ground for dismissal if you commonly took several breaks in a row, or would knowingly exceed your legal right to a 15 min every 2 hour break limit, like you said you did.

If your employer allowed you and others to abuse him so, that is his choice, but, it's still abuse, and I bet ground for you to find another job for doing so, and I wager that if you look in your employee handbook, which you may never have taken the time to read, ever, it should be listed that you are entitled by law, to a 15 min break every 2 hours if you work an 8+ hour shift. I would also wager that there is notations that you can also be disciplined and even fired for exceeding that.

So you may have been allowed to get away with it, but that does not mean any rights to do so are bestowed upon you or your coworkers. Which may be why your boss is blowing you off about this.
    As someone who minors in human resources most jobs give 1 break for every 3 hours and a half hour lunch so you generally get 2 breaks and a lunch break for you 8.5 hour day.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I remember back in the 80's during basic training I saw smokers got more breaks than nonsmokers so I faked smoking to get more breaks.

I tried e-cigs for awhile but it just didn't feel like I was actually smoking a real cig. I would sit there and puff on it like when I switched from full flavor to lights a few years ago. I would draw on that e-cig twice the length of a real cig. If you don't smoke than you won't know what I mean. If I could find an e-cig that felt like I was smoking a real cig than I would get back into them and give it another try.

You spent 25 minutes every hour at work smoking? For shame.

I'm a smoker. In an office setting I'll spend maybe 7 minutes per hour smoking. Minute and a half to and from the garage, 4 minutes to actually smoke.

At home (working from home, or playing DDO) it's 5 minutes tops per hour. 4 minutes to smoke, 30 seconds to and from the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    You spent 25 minutes every hour at work smoking? For shame.

I'm a smoker. In an office setting I'll spend maybe 7 minutes per hour smoking. Minute and a half to and from the garage, 4 minutes to actually smoke.

At home (working from home, or playing DDO) it's 5 minutes tops per hour. 4 minutes to smoke, 30 seconds to and from the porch.
    Yep that is what is going on where I work. Terrible I know.

As a safety officer and a budding toxicologist I have say E-CIGS aren't safe period. I have had people where I work try to claim they are safe and can be smoked in nonsmoking areas they need to be banned along side all tobacco products. took me a bit but I got them disallowed from our campus (hospital) since they are still cancer sticks and not all experts are convinced they aren't any second hand effects some studies show there are effects but they are less than those from real cigs.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/ne...analysis-shows

Here goes.

I have given these facts to the boss and other people at work and they just say, oh well. And do not take it as seriously as I do. I am going to do something new though and thanks to the OP I am going to mention to them they could try an alternative, just to poke at them. I will see what happens. They will not need to go outside and stroke each others egos though and compliment each other about how cool they are. But I will mention it to them about how vapor cigs is better for the company as a whole.

Thanks for reading.
    Trying to shorten your Coworkers breaks, huh? I bet they would love that (just kidding with ya).
    My point of view as a smoker is this. There are no long term studies on E-Cigs. They could be
    as harmful as anything else you put in your body thats not supposed to go there. Also, when
    I am around the "vapor" I get headaches. It stinks. While it is good younger folks aren't smoking
    cigarettes as much as they used, I see a bunch of them with the vapor cigeraretttes, so
    in 10-20 years I guess they will be out study group.

Tobacco cigarettes used to be touted as safe, just like the e-cigarettes are now.

(Also, if your coworkers are throwing their butts on the ground, get them to clean it
    up and have them use a butt bowl or something.)

Just my 2 cents
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

Quote Originally Posted by DeKalbSun View Post
    Trying to shorten your Coworkers breaks, huh? I bet they would love that (just kidding with ya).
    My point of view as a smoker is this. There are no long term studies on E-Cigs. They could be
    as harmful as anything else you put in your body thats not supposed to go there. Also, when
    I am around the "vapor" I get headaches. It stinks. While it is good younger folks aren't smoking
    cigarettes as much as they used, I see a bunch of them with the vapor cigeraretttes, so
    in 10-20 years I guess they will be out study group.

Tobacco cigarettes used to be touted as safe, just like the e-cigarettes are now.

(Also, if your coworkers are throwing their butts on the ground, get them to clean it
    up and have them use a butt bowl or something.)

Just my 2 cents
    We have a butt bowl, but they don't use it. They put out their smokes on the brick wall and leave black marks. Hundreds of butts on the ground.
    I didn't know e cigs had a smell. That stinks that they stink. Ya you're probably right. There will be a study soon saying they are not safe.

My boss sets the example of throwing them on the ground. He is a ****** btw.
    Last edited by zDragonz; 11-11-2013 at 10:30 AM.