Default Slayer count boosts, need a boost!

Quartermaster, I don't know the ddo store sales of slayer count boosts, but I can probably. Guaruntee that they are crazy low.

The problem isn't the price, its the potions themselves. Slayer areas award such low XP beyond the initial run through grabbing all notes or explorers. The kills required for XP. Are huge, and by the time you get even 500 in a slayer, you have already outleved it. These potions need to double, then triple your kills when used.
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 42/42, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

Brand / Commerce Team QuartermasterX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix21 View Post
    Quartermaster, I don't know the ddo store sales of slayer count boosts, but I can probably. Guaruntee that they are crazy low.

The problem isn't the price, its the potions themselves. Slayer areas award such low XP beyond the initial run through grabbing all notes or explorers. The kills required for XP. Are huge, and by the time you get even 500 in a slayer, you have already outleved it. These potions need to double, then triple your kills when used.
    Thanks for the feedback, we are looking at ways to provide more value for slayer count boosts in the future.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Generally I would save them for the vale and use about 2 per life combining slayers with full explorers.
    That got me near 750 each at which point it no longer seemed economical.

Did not use them in other areas, as the level jump from 18 to 20 in a legend life is...

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuartermasterX View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, we are looking at ways to provide more value for slayer count boosts in the future.
    They were built with standard MMO thinking in mind. Aka fast respawning and not much distance between mobs.

DDO does NOT work that way, so I've always thought it was idiotic that it would be built in the same fashion.

How the slayer boost works really needs to be utterly re thought in a manner that fits how DDO works, not how LOTRO works.

I find that slayer count boosts work in a completely opposite way compared to how slayers are run.

Slayers, at least to me are something I run casually. Maybe I'm waiting for a group to fill. Maybe just doing a round of explorers. At any rate, I'm going at a casual pace.

Now add in something that I paid money for that lasts 30 minutes. That turns what I want to be a casual slower paced time sink into a race to get as many mobs as I can in 30 minutes. It changes the nature of the game. For good or bad, it's a change. It's the reason I don't buy the pots and the reason that I still haven't used the free ones I've gotten with my Otto's boxes. I don't like the way it makes me change the way I play. It adds a timer to something that I actually want to do slowly.

Perhaps if the slayer counts were not based on time, but solely on kills. Perhaps adding extra xp to your next X kill thresholds. I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with them. I always considered them a bit superfluous when there are already xp pots available. Why would I spend money on something that I really don't want in the first place, which will make me play at a breakneck pace in an area I want to play slower and only adds a very small fraction of the amount of xp that I could get from just drinking an xp pot anyway.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

To me the main use is Rats and Vans. I run that same 2 slayers repeatedly until the pot runs out and then I do something else. I've noticed other people with the same behavior.

The problem with using pots in any other circumstance is if you don't "use up" the pot it ends up getting wasted at the quest entrance to some slayer area while the party gathers (same problem we used to have with xp pots in the city).

The other issue is I don't tend to run slayers if I have a decent (20%+) xp pot running because the xp pot is wasted except for the one second where I earn xp, and after the first 100 slayers, it can start to be really long times before hitting xp marks.

No solutions for you here...but those are my issues.

I logged in just to post this. :P

I would use the pots regularly if they would not be used up while in a dungeon or in a public area. I originally thought that is the way it was from reading the description, but alas, no it is not the way it is. However i would quaff 4-5 pots per life easily.
    Silly Rabbit, ADD is not just for kids
    Kobolds are the goats of DDO!

Community Member

I've never bought a slayer pot and probably never will buy one for a number of reason.

First, as someone already pointed out, the slayer pot continues to count down in non-wilderness areas. This was a major drawback to the XP and Guild pots when they continued to countdown while waiting outside of quest areas.

Second, slayer areas are a casual playing area. Doing slayers is rarely done in groups since it's not good XP, so it's more of a solo thing. One of the reasons that slayers is a casual playing area is because the number of kills needed to get XP is spread way too much that even slayer pots don't help. And there are some wilderness areas that the number of spawns are so small compared to what's need to get XP that it's not worth running up the kills on those maps (Red Fens and all the House C wilderness areas are guilty of this).

As Redspecter23 pointed out, having slayer pots running turns the casual killing wilderness areas into a rushed countdown. I like doing slayers and rushing to do kills makes the slayer areas very unpopular for me... I can only imagine how much more unpopular rushing slayer kills is for people who hate doing slayers.

Third, like all other types of XP pots, they didn't work with the Monster Manual. Now it's been a while since I used Slayer pots with the Monster Manual, but I doubt it's changed since nothing that boosts XP works with the Monster Manual.

===

This might get the P2W crowd rumbling, but personally, I'd rather see the Slayer pots turned into augment crystals that have no timers. It would solve the countdown timer in wilderness areas and need to rush when in use. Plus if Monster Manuals ever get fixed where Slayer boosts work with it, it's an additional helping hand.

Quote Originally Posted by QuartermasterX View Post
    Maybe a slayer specific-XP boost effect could be combined with the kill boost effect?

Community Member

Reasons why i dont buy or use Slayer Pots (not even the free ones that keep eating up bankspace on my mule)

.) They set me under pressure to "not let them waste", which means i cant run chilled through whatever slayer area i want but i have to grind out rats&caravans in the orchard because thats the only Slayer area where you get enough kills per minute so that the pot will make any difference at all.
    (edit: we are time stressed enough in RL, we really dont need more time issues in our Games. The xp Tomes where a step into the right direction meaning they let you price us still more for the game while not putting us under stress. So please tell your bosses that expanding this idea to other areas of the game would be more then welcomed by the players. thanks.)

.) They are rather heavy priced for such meager xp gains.

Changes that would make me buy them or at least reconsider.

.) Change them to work as fixed additional kills and remove the timer,
    lets say little slayer boost gives you 1000 additional kills
    medium 5000, huge 20000.
    Everytime you kill a mob you get a second kill added to the counter till your additional kills are used up.

.) Make them Tomes of Slaying. Lesser (1 additional kill per 2) and Greater (1 additional kill per kill).
    (meaning we get to keep them through TR)

.) And if the 2 above are out of question make them a lot cheaper, nobody will use a xxxTP pot when he wants to chill or waits for a group to form.
    Last edited by Daemoneyes; 07-02-2013 at 02:52 AM.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    Reasons why i dont buy or use Slayer Pots (not even the free ones that keep eating up bankspace on my mule)

.) They set me under pressure to "not let them waste", which means i cant run chilled through whatever slayer area i want but i have to grind out rats&caravans in the orchard because thats the only Slayer area where you get enough kills per minute so that the pot will make any difference at all.
    (edit: we are time stressed enough in RL, we really dont need more time issues in our Games. The xp Tomes where a step into the right direction meaning they let you price us still more for the game while not putting us under stress. So please tell your bosses that expanding this idea to other areas of the game would be more then welcomed by the players. thanks.)

.) They are rather heavy priced for such meager xp gains.

Changes that would make me buy them or at least reconsider.

.) Change them to work as fixed additional kills and remove the timer,
    lets say little slayer boost gives you 1000 additional kills
    medium 5000, huge 20000.
    Everytime you kill a mob you get a second kill added to the counter till your additional kills are used up.

.) Make them Tomes of Slaying. Lesser (1 additional kill per 2) and Greater (1 additional kill per kill).
    (meaning we get to keep them through TR)

.) And if the 2 above are out of question make them a lot cheaper, nobody will use a xxxTP pot when he wants to chill or waits for a group to form.
    I forgot to mention it in my post, but other have: the Rats and Caravan in the Orchard is the only place to effectively use the Slayer Pots.

I like the two suggestions by Deamoneyes.

The first idea about Slayer pots giving a set number of additional kills with no timer attached appears to be very much in the spirit of what Slayer pots should be: limited use but practical gains. I think the drawback to the idea is that a new GUI/icon will be added to the game for just this one use... And new GUIs/icons that players want being added or fixed to the game seem to take forever (while unwanted GUIs/icons get fast tracked, such as the upcoming Astral Shard bank).

The second idea with Slayer Tomes is pretty good also. I was thinking something similar when I made the Slayer augment suggestion. Slayer tomes will probably be more Turbine friendly since they are always character based.

Like many others, if I am sure I have 30 mins to grind away, I pop a slayer pot and run orchard caravan and rats for 30 mins, if I can't face it any more, then to mix it up 30 min of vale, running out to Rocky, up to Lykomedes, across and up to Halphire and finish at the bats, it works both vale slayers that way.

I find if I'm only going to run until the pot expires it goes pretty fast; I know I've spent that long tragically waiting for a raid to form in the past.

Default I always have a few laying around

thanks to the Daily Dice, coupon giveaways or Cannith turnins. I use them when I run through Gianthold, Vale or Orchard the first time (on my always TR) to get my explorers. Other than that, they are too short (and run down while out of the wilderness) so I surely will not pay for them.

I really like the tome idea. My one character that is always on the TR train would buy one (assuming the price isn't crazy). I wouldn't bother on the others. Wilderness XP takes way too much time to accumulate for a character just passing through one time. It isn't like max level characters will be running wilderness slayers in any type of endgame strategy I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

The problem with slayer areas is the fact that the number of kills between xp rewards is stupid high once you hit 200. There should be no tier that allows me to kill everything in the area and NOT receive a spec of XP for those kills.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnsfire View Post
    I really like the tome idea. My one character that is always on the TR train would buy one (assuming the price isn't crazy).
    +1s
    Hey, good idea there.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    The problem with slayer areas is the fact that the number of kills between xp rewards is stupid high once you hit 200. There should be no tier that allows me to kill everything in the area and NOT receive a spec of XP for those kills.
    There's three FULL Slayers in my opinion that have GOOD Kills/Instance:

Three Barrel Cove - 330+
    Orchard - 350 - 400+ Dependant on Rats/Van/Radhnik Odeen being in or not
    Restless Isles - 300 thereabouts

And ONE Slayer with ONE AMAZING Portion {out of 3!}:

Sands Gnolls - 400+ PER INSTANCE!

Btw - Sands Undead is as low as 50 per instance if you don't run round like a lunatic waking them up!
    Average for Drow/Scorrow is 96 per instance {I have had 100+ on occasion} - The same as KORTHOS!

Then there's the BAD Slayer Zones:

Cannith Manufactory - Heavily dependant on Scaling - Take in at least 2 Hirelings {Panther helps} to get kills up past 100 per Instance {Oh and make sure you DESTROY the Cannons - They count as kills!}.

Ataraxia - 200 per instance looks good on paper {though not compared to 3 Barrel's 330!} BUT many of those kills need to be WOKEN UP!

Sorrowdusk and Tangleroot - 115/116 in Tangleroot dependant on whether Barmaid or Bugbear is hiding behind Bugbear Central.
    114 in Sorrowdusk {Scorpions respawn about once every 2-3 minutes so usually get 120 per instance myself}.

Waterworks - 50-60 per instance.

Korthos - 96 Per Instance.

And the FRANKLY ABYSMAL:

Red Fens - 150 per instance with a 7500 total is a JOKE!
    Easy fix = Change Heroic to 3000 Max and add an Epic tier with a 5000 Max!

Heroic Gianthold - ALL THREE ZONES!
    PoP {Eye} can go over 100 kills
    Madstone {Heart} is around 80
    Crucible {Fist} is more like 60!!!
    This is unbelievably bad!
    All three put together don't equal the Gnolls alone in Sands!

Soami Gardens - The other three Reaver's Refuge slayers aren't bad BUT this one takes the cake as perhaps the single worst slayer zone in DDO {My opinion}.
    To get the Rare Lion to appear you have to clear all the Shrines of Undead {which btw also removes wandering spectres from the Zone!}
    Each shrine has a Quell - Kill the Quell and ALL OTHER UNDEAD round that shrine VANISH {NOT COUNTING AS KILLS!}

It's quite possible to complete this slayer and get 30 or less kills! - This is just unconscionable to my mind!

Oh and I have a significant issue with Rare Spawnrates in the four Reaver's Refuge Slayers:
    Yes the Portal in Aussircaex's Valley is always there!
    Yes the Lion in Soami Gardens and Varney the Vampire can be called on at will just by jumping through some hoops {P.S. Varney and the Sacrificing of Carcass Eaters is a significantly EVIL Act without even an excuse of being led to doing it in-game rather than META-GAMING to get the rare!}
    This being said -
    The other rares in these four zones seem to have a significantly lower spawn rate than rares in the rest of the game!

Community Member

How about making slayer boosts work in quests of the area - so for example, if you keep running your 25% slayer boost in Coalscence chamber, every 4th mob in there counts as meridia shav slayer? That would make it plausible to keep them running all the time you are in such areas - Gianthold makes for a great example where you'd use those. Or perhaps ToD flagging.

Another idea I like, is, counter instead of timer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Old Birthday Cakes of Wishes don't turn into new Six Year Old Cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yan_PL View Post
    How about making slayer boosts work in quests of the area - so for example, if you keep running your 25% slayer boost in Coalscence chamber, every 4th mob in there counts as meridia shav slayer? That would make it plausible to keep them running all the time you are in such areas - Gianthold makes for a great example where you'd use those. Or perhaps ToD flagging.
    Slayer in dungeons with endless fast spawns would not be for the best. Cube room in Coal Chamber comes to mind.

Community Member

I DO use Slayer boosts every life for the last part of 19. It's probably not something most people do, and the only reason I do it is because I run with people that use 30 percent pots, while I don't, so they get ahead. At the end of each life, I log on in the morning and run the slayers with pots to make up the xp difference.

I actually don't have a problem with the amount of kills they give you. My only problem is that the time on them seems to be too low.