Thread: Audio Volume

Community Member

Default Audio Volume

I finally got around to asking a few people about what they use for audio settings with a mic.
    I have a crappy USB mic and it doesn't have a gain on it. I thought it was just me, but talking to other people, they have the same problem.

Audio settings
    Master = max
    All others = 0.05 or lower
    Mic volume = max
    Mic gain = max

To me, these are very extreme settings, but is it just my system or how the voice works in ddo.

What do you lot have for these settings (apart from using teamspeak or ventrillo)
    Flufty, Flufs, Fluffi, Fluffit

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fluffi View Post
    I finally got around to asking a few people about what they use for audio settings with a mic.
    I have a crappy USB mic and it doesn't have a gain on it. I thought it was just me, but talking to other people, they have the same problem.

Audio settings
    Master = max
    Mic volume = max
    Mic gain = max

To me, these are very extreme settings, but is it just my system or how the voice works in ddo.

What do you lot have for these settings (apart from using teamspeak or ventrillo)
    Yep the Voice chat has no volume slider so the only way to maximize it is to turn everything down to almolst off and master volume maxed.

No they wont implement sliders on each players hit point bar, something about DDO using an ancient and terribad Gamespy audio chat API.

For the life of me I don't understand why companies hire other company's and pay them good money for terrible products.

I believe this forum is an example of that... can't explain why even an intern wouldn't have this forum running correctly ina couple weeks let alone months... I'm guessing Turbine hired a fly by night web dev who took their money and ran.
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 06-17-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Community Member

The audio volume issue is a perfect example of the non-user friendly, low quality **** that DDO is riddled with.

Community Member

Wouldn't it be simple to increase the mic gain in the software?
    Flufty, Flufs, Fluffi, Fluffit

Wouldn't it be simple to increase the mic gain in the software?
    I've never had any luck with USB Mics... They all see to have the same sensitivity level, which is **** poor. Sure, with some you get software that can frequency-shift your voice, or make you sound like a robot, but what good is that if nobody can hear you to begin with? There's only so much you can do in software.

At least using the audio hardware built into most motherboards these days or better yet, a dedicated audio card, you have some "preproduction" control over volume in the form of a pre-amplified signal with a mic boost of up to +30db before the signal gets to the game.
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Audio settings
    Master = max
    Mic volume = max
    Mic gain = max

Many times I end up pugging in groups where 1/2 people are way too loud, and the other 1/2 I can hardly hear. Sometimes people just simply have loud or soft voices in RL, but often times I find that if everyone checks the "microphone boost" box (or something similar) in your control panel/sound settings, this helps.

Also, alot of people have the sensitivity too high and it pick up their speakers causing horrible echo/feedback.

Overall I find any cheap headset with build in mic to be sufficient and avoids echo/feedback.

I never seen a mic. With a gain before. Gain is not a volume control, gain is used to match the mic and the amp(computer) to keep distortion to a minimum. If you go into your computer device and look for the sound icon, click on it and on one of tabs you will find a volume control for the mic. It could be set to low.

I have only ever used logitech usb mics and just about every time I had to adjust the compiters volume for it first then ddo. Ddo mic control work really good if they get a good signal first. Now some cheap mic, less then a 30 dollar logitech maybe at fault, as I have had one of those before.

Ddo is not the problem its how your computer has set the volume of the mic.
    Member of Mythical