Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Voice chat enabled... (yah, a rant)

Why, oh why must some people run around showing that little icon displaying "voice chat enabled" when they:
    Have their speakers off,
    Know their headphones don't work,
    Have a movie on,
    Are listening to music
    Or for any other reason know ahead of time they won't be able to hear you?

It's just one little box in the UI, and you know where it is because you had to turn it on... Just uncheck it if your not going to be listening!

Too many times I've said "there's a trap" (usually followed by -ding- ) or given a necessary instruction to some idgit who seems to ignore it, or just simply had some other critical communication failure do to speaking to somebody displaying that they can hear when they can't.

And the worst, the absolute worst offenders of this are the ones who get upset and start whining/complaining that "no one told them about (X)." Like everyone is supposed to know that they only show as voice enabled because they like the look of the icon or something, but that they actually need you to type to them; and should you have tha audacity to point out they show as voice enabled so the information was given verbally, they respond as though somehow you're the problem.

Freakin' obnoxious, annoying and ridiculous...

/rant off
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

It's like, that's the default setting or something, and people don't know it can be toggled.

Well honestly I do that too...
    I just never bothered. But when I enter party and see someones is using voice - Im letting them know I dont hear them because
    - im listening to music
    - watching TV
    - talking on teamspeak with friends
    etc ::P
    But if they dont talk at beggining and then tell 1 word in the middle of q - and theyre angry I didnt let them know I cant hear them then... oh well... too bad :P.

I have nothing against ppl using voice chat instead of writing - I very often turn voice on then and listen to them - because I know in some situation talking is easier than writing.
    But if they write all the quest and then suddenly talk for a mini-time - I just ignore it :P

I guess it may be irritating in situations like you described.
    But oh well... on my rogue I never say trap.
    Or they know where trap is, or they simply shouldnt run ahead of me, especially when I search... :P

First time I see it being a problem actually. I guess ppl just dont think about sth like that.
    I actually got used to it - that every time I am going to speak I write on chat if everyone is able to hear me.
    And others do it too all the time. I hardly meet with ppl who expect the green icon = can hear .
    Last edited by Kayla93; 06-16-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Why, oh why must some people run around showing that little icon displaying "voice chat enabled" when they:
    Have their speakers off,
    Have a movie on,
    Are listening to music
    last i looked, it might also be DDO's fault. Why and how? i've seen and heard of cases where due to some weird things that no one is sure of, some people can be heard clearly and others are barely audible mumble.
    so.. unless you want to go deaf when player A says anything, you cannot hear a thing from player B.

that might affect above examples or.. not. I wouldn't be amazed if DDO sometimes skipped pre-set mic levels and such for some people.

so.. to repeat it.
    mic recording/playback levels are NOT same for all players for whatever reasons. while this mainly means some players cannot be heard.. if you happen to be the poor soul that cannot be heard, well.. you can't be heard.

and all this could be avoided if someone would put in some "test mic" button in game settings which checks the sound level and perhaps plays it back to you (through the server, not your own computer) to "level" the playing field.
    Amazing, they actually managed to fix forum account post count and stuff without me bug reporting it!
    O.o there is hope out there yet!

Quote Originally Posted by little_me View Post
    last i looked, it might also be DDO's fault. Why and how? i've seen and heard of cases where due to some weird things that no one is sure of, some people can be heard clearly and others are barely audible mumble.
    so.. unless you want to go deaf when player A says anything, you cannot hear a thing from player B.

that might affect above examples or.. not. I wouldn't be amazed if DDO sometimes skipped pre-set mic levels and such for some people.

so.. to repeat it.
    mic recording/playback levels are NOT same for all players for whatever reasons. while this mainly means some players cannot be heard.. if you happen to be the poor soul that cannot be heard, well.. you can't be heard.
    Oh. I also agree!
    I have to have max audio in ddo to hear others, and when my friends both have to do the same to hear me - one says I scream, the other one says he cant hear me.
    Thats frustrating really...

I like leading PUGs and always use voice chat. I agree it's annoying when someone doesn't respond, but they either might not be able to hear you or perhaps English isnt their first language. I'm okay with that but at the beginning of quest I like to chat a little to figure out who can hear and understand me. That way before you start you can make a decision on whether this will be an issue. Just a suggestion.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

Community Member

sorry, but I don't want to be scrolling through my settings checking and unchecking boxes every time i take off my ears.

If I can't hear for whatever reason I will notify the group that I don't have ears, but at the same time it is an unrealistic expectation for people to swap their "voice chat enabled" thingy every time they take off ears, and honestly I don't even look at that thing to tell if people have ears.
    Ckarlock, Dragonbloodz, Sorinsal. Argo Server, Guild: Bringers of Darkness.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primordial_Soup View Post
    sorry, but I don't want to be scrolling through my settings checking and unchecking boxes every time i take off my ears.

If I can't hear for whatever reason I will notify the group that I don't have ears, but at the same time it is an unrealistic expectation for people to swap their "voice chat enabled" thingy every time they take off ears, and honestly I don't even look at that thing to tell if people have ears.
    Bingo, nail on the head.

I'm usually good enough that I'll alt-tab to turn off my audiobook when I hit an LFM, most of the time.

Now, if Turbine was to make a chat command to toggle that display (./vox on ; ./vox off), something that I can macro to one of my quickslot bars, so I can turn my ears on and off easily, maybe I'll do it then (but not on my cleric, her quickslot bars are packed)
    Tessa* of Ghallanda
    “If you do not help me," Tessa said to Jem, "I swear, I will change into you, and I will lift him myself. And then everyone here will see what you look like in a dress." She fixed him with a look. "Do you understand?”

My thought is that voice enabled is the default setting. This game has ingame chat for both incoming and outgoing information. Now if someone prefers to type for their outgoing info, fine by me. If, however, they cannot hear voice instructions, I think they should let people know ahead of time. I find it courteous. I use voice often to relay information. I'd like to know if the people in my party can't hear me. By all means shut off my voice, but let me know about it so I'm not talking into a void for 15 minutes.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Once you start messing with turbs audio all hell breaks loose. Somehow it changes on its own and doesn't recognize you audio files. Or audio becomes chopping, or only half the things make sound, or you start cutting in and out trying to talk, or a complete system meltdown occurs!

I'm telling you, this game and audio is no joke. I have literally seen with my eyes this game cause a blue screen and memory dumb over a damn audio update because the version wasn't exactly what it needed apparently.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

You mean the "enable voice chat" box which, when *un*checked, causes a message to appear that says "voice chat enabled"? Must be one of those "WAI" features.

Community Member

Too many times I've said "there's a trap" (usually followed by -ding- ) or given a necessary instruction to some idgit who seems to ignore it, or just simply had some other critical communication failure do to speaking to somebody displaying that they can hear when they can't.

And the worst, the absolute worst offenders of this are the ones who get upset and start whining/complaining that "no one told them about (X)." Like everyone is supposed to know that they only show as voice enabled because they like the look of the icon or something, but that they actually need you to type to them; and should you have tha audacity to point out they show as voice enabled so the information was given verbally, they respond as though somehow you're the problem.
    This is the only part of the OP's rant that really has much merit. For 99% of the content in DDO there is nothing wrong with someone joining a group, having music going or headphones off or just plain muting the dry dead voices coming through static riddled microphones in most PUGs, and not making some grandiose announcement about it or editing their game settings every time. If, however, they are running something that they do not know well enough to get by without instruction, or they are running one of the few quests that actually require coordinated team activity, then this does become a problem.

Generally, the people who do not know a quest well and still decide to run out in front of everyone else rather than letting someone who appears to have a better idea of what they are doing take the lead are the ones who become the largest problem in "no ears" instances. In my experience, they will cause issues no matter what, as even if they are given warnings about what is to come or instructions on how to do something it will likely still be bungled due to the same mentality that has them charging out in front despite not knowing what is going on in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by ZJEPane View Post
    Bingo, nail on the head.

I'm usually good enough that I'll alt-tab to turn off my audiobook when I hit an LFM, most of the time.

Now, if Turbine was to make a chat command to toggle that display (./vox on ; ./vox off), something that I can macro to one of my quickslot bars, so I can turn my ears on and off easily, maybe I'll do it then (but not on my cleric, her quickslot bars are packed)
    This. Plus on another note I usually run TS at the same time DDO is running. When I have TS voice running my DDO client voice is very low. So a lot of times I cant hear it anyway (and thats with the correct adjustments to volumes to make voice obnoxiously loud). Alternately, often the guys in TS are talking over the party folks..and their conversation is much more engaging anyway and I tend to ignore party chat unless its something important (whicih means I tend to ignore party chat always).

Community Member

Myself, I like a little convo before a run. Routine things like finding out whether others can hear or need typing, whether there is a closet trapper (no rogue or arti icon showing, etc.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Anyone who has played this game for any amount of time, knows about the complete lack of customisable settings for voice chat in DDO. Given that fact, I don't know how anybody could have high expectations of anyone else as far as voice chat is concerned. It is a most non-use friendly system, forcing you to into an extreme setup in order to maximise who you can possibly hear.

Even optimal settings for working within acceptable boundaries of civility in shared living spaces, will leave at least 20% of people inaudible. Some of us can't or won't use headphones and some of us refuse to pay the price of burst eardrums inflicted by those at the top of the scale, in order to be able to hear those 20% of people at the bottom of the scale.

I simply do not understand how anyone who has experienced the DDO chat system can have any expectations of others, yet I have encountered it consistently in this game. Compared to other games, it's terrible and often leaves the player with the choice of being unable to hear anything else, just so they can hear one persons voice.

One question that really needs answering though, is why some of these people who insist on everyone else hearing them, still haven't worked out how to set up their microphone so that they aren't the only person mumbling like Kenny from Southpark every time they push-to-talk. I have encountered this countless times, often from elitist types having their microphones set up for some 3rd party client, but who also are the most demanding of others, while not making any effort themselves.

So, for anyone who is reading this and hasn't realised it yet, VOICE VOLUME IN DDO IS UTTERLY BORKED, the reason I can't hear you is because I have purposefully set my game up so that the loudest player voices are just a comfortable cut above the game sounds and if they can set their system up to be heard by me, you can too. If you can't then there is nothing more to be said or done about it, I am simply working within the parametres of what DDO has provided, I am not compromising my eardrums just to be able to hear the Kenny's.

Community Member

You know what the funny thing is? I have a very different issue crop up lately, but it's similar enough to your situation.

Why do players insist on being blind? No, seriously - bare with me, there's a point to this.

When I type that I'm going to be right back, just need to sort something out away from the computer for a moment, why do you insist on using voice to confirm if I'm there or not, when I already typed it into Party Chat? Boot me and then send a tell saying I don't have Voice enabled or not listening? Especially when you refuse to keep your finger off the Voice Chat button/keep Hands Free Voice on? (ie, create a massive feedback for those not using headsets and I try to use Voice?)

You have eyes to play this game right? Why on earth are you insisting on using Voice chat - that is so terrible in DDO since not everyone may hear you to check if everyone has voice on, and NOT READ what I have typed into Party Chat?

Blah, anyway, just a different view to a very messy situation that involves Voice Chat. Not actually pointing any fingers at anyone

Quote Originally Posted by RightToRemainStupid View Post
    Anyone who has played this game for any amount of time, knows about the complete lack of customisable settings for voice chat in DDO. Given that fact, I don't know how anybody could have high expectations of anyone else as far as voice chat is concerned. It is a most non-use friendly system, forcing you to into an extreme setup in order to maximise who you can possibly hear.
    ^this^

I hate voice chat for that exact reason. I've adjusted and readjusted the volume settings, dropping all the sound effects, combat sounds, DM's narration, and every other sound FX tab slowly from 75%, to 50%, down to 25% of their default settings - so low I have to crank the volume to hear any of the game sounds. Even with that, I still can't hear/understand half the people on voice chat. Most of them sound like an adult from a Charlie Brown cartoon.

As un-user friendly as the client is, you also have to take into account how many different systems/microphones are being used by different players and I'm sure a good number of people on voice chat haven't done anything on their end to make sure that they are heard. If you're trying to talk into a web cam mic on five feet away from where you're sitting, don't be surprised when no one can hear you.
    "Shut up and die like a wizard"

I feel all your pain, I use chat do to fat finger syndrome, or just the fact I cna't type ( see prime example) *can't ..... question i have for all is.... is there another way in game to adjust what your hearing in party chat? I've played with it for years and can never seem to get adjusted to hear all. seems that there is always 1 that is nothing more than a faint whisper. I have all sounds down to bare minimun now as it is and still difficult to hear. thanks for any help

Have their speakers off,
    Have a movie on,
    Are listening to music

It's just one little box in the UI, and you know where it is because you had to turn it on... Just uncheck it if your not going to be listening!

Freakin' obnoxious, annoying and ridiculous...

/rant off
    I agree 100%.

Virtual +1 for the use of idgit!

Now if people want to give the false impression that they are actually listening, fine. At least have the common courtesy to type in chat you cannot hear or are to busy with something else to pay attention.

Another fine example of why people will not put up LFMs and deal with these idgits.

As a last resort, do what I have done in the past. Ask them a question over voice by name and if they do not answer you, boot them.

Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The-Storyteller View Post
    You know what the funny thing is? I have a very different issue crop up lately, but it's similar enough to your situation.

Why do players insist on being blind? No, seriously - bare with me, there's a point to this.
    Actually... the game is sort of funny that way, but, there are situations where the voice gets through just fine but text chat doesn't.

Seems to have something to do with either disk access, new-object rendering, and/or zone changes... but possibly something completely different graphics-related. Well, anyway, text goes on your screen and if the screen doesn't update right... (usually temporary but anyway). Audio at least is using a separate output device.

Of course there are *more* situations where the text chat is the one that works.

Yes, I do believe both types should be classified as bugs, but, well...
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast